21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,794 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
First oil change is one thing first complete service is another. Maybe since the dealer you bought it from was factoring in a air filter or checking valve clearances you can't compare to $300 job.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I doesn't look as bad as the service manual says. If your valves are out of specs, (wider gap) find out how much they are out of spec, then insert a new valve pad to make up the difference. Each valve pad has a number stamped into it. Just replace that valve pad with the next higher number. Easy peezy. ;)
All kidding aside, you should be able to check valve clearances as usual. TDC for #2 is 270 out from #1. Although the service manual says to turn the crank 360. Either way, we should be good.

You don't sound like you know really how the design is setup. You realize to change the pads you have to remove both of the cams from out of the cylinder head to pull the lifters and get to the valve pad on top of the valve stems. The cams have to go back in and be timed to the crankshaft. It is more work than you think.

But they don't usually get wider they get less and that creates a problem worse than loose. When clearance goes away there is pressure on the cam/lifter body full 360° of rotation and this will damage the cam and lifter really quick. That is why it matters that this be checked it is not going to get loud just burn up. If valve starts hanging open then more problems and it becomes obvious but by then damage is done. You won't hear it coming, Stay up with valve clearance checks and corrections.

Checking is one thing correcting is another entirely. Checking them is not so bad. But adjusting them it is a pretty good job for mechanically inclined anyone else should pass. The cams have to come off the head and timing chain needs to be timed with both cams going back.

·
Registered
2022 RMAX2 1000 XT-R
201 Posts
You don't sound like you know really how the design is setup. You realize to change the pads you have to remove both of the cams from out of the cylinder head to pull the lifters and get to the valve pad on top of the valve stems. The cams have to go back in and be timed to the crankshaft. It is more work than you think.

But they don't usually get wider they get less and that creates a problem worse than loose. When clearance goes away there is pressure on the cam/lifter body full 360° of rotation and this will damage the cam and lifter really quick. That is why it matters that this be checked it is going to get loud just burn up. If valve starts hanging open then more problems and it becomes obvious but by then damage is done. You won't hear it coming, Stay up with valve clearance checks and corrections.

Checking is one thing correcting is another entirely. Checking them is not so bad. But adjusting them it is a pretty good job for mechanically inclined anyone else should pass. The cams have to come off the head and timing chain needs to be timed with both cams going back.
I am fully aware of the steps you mentioned. It is why I bought a service manual. To "Service" my own vehicle. I will never tell someone not to try. Btw. Do you work for a dealership? ;)

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I would encourage anyone capable of changing their oil and taking off the valve covers, to buy a $10 feeler gauge and check the valve clearances yourself, before you take them to the dealer, so you know what will be required. Will it be one or eight valves adjusted? Maybe none? There is a range of valve tolerance for every machine and it is easy for unscrupulous dealer/mechanics to pull the wool over the eyes of the unskilled. And as much as I hate to say it, it's not a bad idea to recheck when you get it home to see if the service charges equal the effort claimed. You might even get a video or pictures to provide some proof of before and after. Having a significant other hold the camera also elicits a witness. Understanding the process, even if you don't do it, could maybe save some abuse. Sorry to sound so distrusting, but seems there are too many stories around........

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,794 Posts
Is there a video yet on anyone doing it on any of these engines?
It would be worth viewing.

·
Registered
701 Posts
My friend just had his first oil change done on a new Chevrolet pickup. He gets home and see the original filter on the engine.
I am fully aware of the steps you mentioned. It is why I bought a service manual. To "Service" my own vehicle. I will never tell someone not to try. Btw. Do you work for a dealership? ;)
There are plenty of people even somewhat intelligent I am sure would not get through pulling the cams and retiming them correctly to the crank. The service manual will very often still be over many peoples heads with what they have instructions on how to do is not doing it for you and easy to make fatal mistake.

Have you ever done this yourself ? I do it on my YZ450 regularly to install new timing chain and check and reset the valve clearances. Not terribly hard but not for the majority is my opinion. I see and hear of people struggling with things all the time that are about 10 times easier.

Recommending everyone to try this is not good encouragement IMO but the first step to a expensive mistake if a piston contacts a valve or other mishap associated with pulling and replacing cams and timing chains in these engines were to occur. If you are capable by all means fix it your self. If you aren't don't even get started.

·
Registered
98 Posts
According to the maintenance interval chart in the manual on the 2021 X4 it says check valves every 3200 miles. Does the RMAX require it at first service? Seems a bit extreme. Injector synchronization is mentioned for first service but not valves.

·
Registered
2022 RMAX2 1000 XT-R
201 Posts
According to the maintenance interval chart in the manual on the 2021 X4 it says check valves every 3200 miles. Does the RMAX require it at first service? Seems a bit extreme. Injector synchronization is mentioned for first service but not valves.
The Rmax has the same interval. 3200 miles. Can't find anything on "Injector" synchronization. But there is a call out for Throttle body synchronization. Before performing the throttle body synchronization you must check valve clearance.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Have you ever done this yourself ? I do it on my YZ450 regularly to install new timing chain and check and reset the valve clearances. Not terribly hard but not for the majority is my opinion.
How many miles do you ride to have to do it regularly? It's not something I would want to have to tackle on a regular basis but I guess with practice it gets easier and faster. Another reason I like 2 strokes. Rings every once in a while and I'm good and have have a fresh engine in about 30 minutes. I'm not bragging because there are guys way way faster than me. Personally I loath working on the top end of a 4-stroke but learned my leason a long time ago about timing and what can happen to a piston if you get it wrong. Luckily it was in shop class on a project 4-wheeler that didn't matter if it broke or not.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,794 Posts
What 3200 miles, no way that is absurd. I wonder if it all set from the factory in the first place which it should. That would me some would be doing it once a year. They have to rethink he parts used or something else to eliminate that necessity.

·
Registered
32 Posts
There is also another school of thought, how much is your time worth, regardless if you have the capabilities. I have plenty of other projects to do, so for me I'd rather take this to the dealer and let him do it.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,794 Posts
I'd like to hear how many have done it at all. At what mileage and cost. (Checking the valves as some gaskets will be required, parts are needed)
Maybe a poll on this. Even at my engines miles I have not touched them, it starts and runs as when I got it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
3200 miles does sound a little premature for valves, Yamaha's 4 cylinder Apex motor recommends valve adjustment at 20,000 miles. Few have needed adjustment before that but that's what the manual says.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,794 Posts
3200 miles does sound a little premature for valves, Yamaha's 4 cylinder Apex motor recommends valve adjustment at 20,000 miles. Few have needed adjustment before that but that's what the manual says.
Thats more like it if needed. I checked with another X series owner and well over 10,000km he had nothing done either on the 850 and no issues.

·
Registered
2022 RMAX2 1000 XT-R
201 Posts
Thats more like it if needed. I checked with another X series owner and well over 10,000km he had nothing done either on the 850 and no issues.
That recommended service manual 3200 mile number might just be for those who rely on dealerships to do all the servicing for them. $$$.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,794 Posts
Yeah, a cash cow for dealer. Not many owners going go in there and check themselves. I wouldn't either because if you're not sure you still taking it in after words.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am sure it's contingent on how and where you ride. If you are in AZ riding dunes all day.....

·
Registered
701 Posts
Yea sorry I didn't know the 1000 RMAX had the longer valve adjustment period but similar engines with the same valve train setup usually say more often that the first at 3200.
Like the Gen 1 for instance. Valves get checked first service. My YZ450 says check valves after initial break in then every 7.5 hours. Break in is first hour.

Just saying the dealer that wanted so much may have also thought these got valves checked at first service.

Gen 1 was valve check at first service,

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
Service Manual for my X2.
Valve Inspection 3K miles.

The Rmax is practically the same engine, so I'd say 3K miles also.
I'm slightly over 3K miles, so I'll be getting into the valves soon.
Glancing at the Service Manual, it appears that we have similar design to Tappets that are in some cars. Most of this type of design are interference engines, so I'm now wondering if are motors are of this interference type?
My Honda truck valve adjustment is just like my buddies Honda ATV. Wrench, screwdriver and feeler gauge, it's that easy.
My wife's car has tappets, which is a interference engine and requires several mic/feeler readings then replacing the correct tappet to meet spec.

Now you guys got me curious, so I'll have to do more digging....lol.

Reactions: therebel19
21 - 40 of 66 Posts