Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've watched videos on the first service here and think I can manage but thought I'd check to see what dealers were charging. The closest yamaha dealer to me quoted me at 300.00 for the first service but said he's never had an Rmax in and is basing that off wolverines he's done. Then I call the dealer who I bought it from that's over an hour drive and really is a bad set up trying to get off the freeway and through congested traffic hauling a trailer. It's a pain but whatever. This guy so oh boy that's a big service... goes through the list of the fluids, valve adjustment, retorquing things. His sales game is on high. He comes back at 900.00 not including any fluid or filters and says it's a 7 hour service. WTF? I know he's scamming but damn. I really just want something noted on my service record about the front passenger clicking noise.

So I'm stuck between someone whose never done a service on the Rmax and someone scamming. Guess I'll get my hands dirty.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
So I've watched videos on the first service here and think I can manage but thought I'd check to see what dealers were charging. The closest yamaha dealer to me quoted me at 300.00 for the first service but said he's never had an Rmax in and is basing that off wolverines he's done. Then I call the dealer who I bought it from that's over an hour drive and really is a bad set up trying to get off the freeway and through congested traffic hauling a trailer. It's a pain but whatever. This guy so oh boy that's a big service... goes through the list of the fluids, valve adjustment, retorquing things. His sales game is on high. He comes back at 900.00 not including any fluid or filters and says it's a 7 hour service. WTF? I know he's scamming but damn. I really just want something noted on my service record about the front passenger clicking noise.

So I'm stuck between someone whose never done a service on the Rmax and someone scamming. Guess I'll get my hands dirty.
I was quoted $800. DIY

·
Registered
188 Posts
Just had first service done at dealership.
Was on my x4 but should be the same for rmax

Price is in Canadian.

·
Registered
2021 RMAX 2 XT-R
250 Posts
I just did my first service on mine yesterday. It literally took me about 5 hours to do. I changed the engine oil, transmission fluid and front/rear differentials. And I torqued every bolt per spec. That said, this is not an easy oil change by no means. Next on my list is adjusting the valves and to check the spark plugs.

·
Registered
2022 RMAX2 1000 XT-R
204 Posts
I just did my first service on mine yesterday. It literally took me about 5 hours to do. I changed the engine oil, transmission fluid and front/rear differentials. And I torqued every bolt per spec. That said, this is not an easy oil change by no means. Next on my list is adjusting the valve's and checking the spark plugs.
Please do a write up on "Adjusting" your valves. I am not familiar with the Rmax's valve pad change outs. Here is a list of valve pads. Item 10. 2021 Yamaha WOLVERINE RMAX 2 SE (YXE10WPZMG) Valve | Yamaha Sports Plaza
Thanks.

·
Registered
2021 RMAX 2 XT-R
250 Posts

·
Registered
2022 RMAX2 1000 XT-R
204 Posts
I doesn't look as bad as the service manual says. If your valves are out of specs, (wider gap) find out how much they are out of spec, then insert a new valve pad to make up the difference. Each valve pad has a number stamped into it. Just replace that valve pad with the next higher number. Easy peezy. ;)
All kidding aside, you should be able to check valve clearances as usual. TDC for #2 is 270 out from #1. Although the service manual says to turn the crank 360. Either way, we should be good.

·
Super Moderator
499 Posts
Wolverine twins use a 270 degree crank pin offset, same as Honda Talon and Pioneer 1000.
Polaris Prostar twins use a 180 degree. Polaris 800 and 700 use a 360 degree.

·
Registered
2022 RMAX2 1000 XT-R
204 Posts
Wolverine twins use a 270 degree crank pin offset, same as Honda Talon and Pioneer 1000.
Polaris Prostar twins use a 180 degree. Polaris 800 and 700 use a 360 degree.
You are correct. I misunderstood the drawing. Thanks! I hope there is a TDC timing mark for cylinder #2.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Just got done doing my own first service it was $103 for all the fluids and new crush washers and it took me about three hours but it’s done ,and still wondering about the clicking noise from the front and myself

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,795 Posts
When I bought mine, I asked the dealer to include the first service in the deal/price. They obliged, no problem as they're familar with it. Checking what I can't or aware of not being normal needed attention would be their forte, not mine. At least not that soon. Its interesting that
his is not an easy oil change by no means
was included. I always wonder never being exposed to a dry sump before. Oil checking shouldn't be convoluted process either.

Reactions: Hahny

·
Registered
149 Posts
This guy videos are the most straight forward on the first service. Shows the exact location of each bolt you need to drain, how much fluid you need etc

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,795 Posts
@ldjbuff
Would that be the same for the X2 850 engine

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This guy videos are the most straight forward on the first service. Shows the exact location of each bolt you need to drain, how much fluid you need etc

View attachment 95514
Thanks for that. I've watched the oil change but not all there fluid changes.

Still a little irritated by the dealership that I bought the machine at trying to screw me out of that much money when one closer to me was only charging 300.00. That seems very reasonable after adding in the cost of fluids. Just makes me never want to step foot in that dealership again. The salesman attitude of the service guy was just annoying.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Reactions: DirtRoadWarrior

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks for that. I've watched the oil change but not all there fluid changes.

Still a little irritated by the dealership that I bought the machine at trying to screw me out of that much money when one closer to me was only charging 300.00. That seems very reasonable after adding in the cost of fluids. Just makes me never want to step foot in that dealership again. The salesman attitude of the service guy was just annoying.
I agree. $300 would be very fair.

Reactions: HUBBHUNTER

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,795 Posts
I seen that guy before (X4 video) in a trail video. He was running a "MightMouse" Honda as I recall from 2 years ago. LOL

I notice he checked by screwing in the plug all the way. Other engines with threaded dipstick I have or seen where checked by holding if flush without cranking it in. This of course affects the actual level you have.

Reactions: DirtRoadWarrior
1 - 20 of 66 Posts