Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time for my first oil change. Well past time. What oil filter do I need? What oil should I buy? I would like the stock oil. Where is the oil filter? Is it hard to get to? How many quarts of oil? Is it fairly easy and quick or should I make it easy and run it over to the dealer?

Also what NGK spark plug number do I need?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I usually buy the oil change kit from Yamaha,as I t comes with the oil and filters needed,the oil filter can be accessed from the passenger side in front of the back wheel,you fill the oil through the dipstick hole by removing the passenger seat and seat belt boot,it does explain this in your owners manual,it is easier than changing diff oils.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I usually buy the oil change kit from Yamaha,as I t comes with the oil and filters needed,the oil filter can be accessed from the passenger side in front of the back wheel,you fill the oil through the dipstick hole by removing the passenger seat and seat belt boot,it does explain this in your owners manual,it is easier than changing diff oils.
Great. Thank you. I think I will try it myself. Sounds fast and easy. If my dealer doesn't have the oil change kit do you know how many quarts I need to buy. I will also look around for my manual.

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Note that the oil filter is a pita to get off on the first service. The K&N has a 17mm head incorporated witch is a handy design. The oem style filter was too small for my small filter wrench so I had to place a towel over it to be able to get a good purchase.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Just changed my oil again and I had a vortex filter on. It has that 17mm bolt on the back. Dang bolt bent off.. just went with Yamaha OEM filters and a oil wrench made for it. Also use Rotella T6. Have 2 cases of it and use it in about everything. SUV, Sidebysides, 4 wheelers, tractor. Works great and pretty cheap compared to Yamalube and others.

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
To get the OEM factory filter off the first time is easy to do with a 65/67 mm oil filter cap wrench that goes over the end of the oil filter and attaches to a 3/8" ratchet. The factory OEM filter is 67 mm. All of the auto parts stores such as Advanced Auto, Autozone, O'Reillys, Napa, etc. carry a stepped filter cap wrench for a 3/8" ratchet that will fit either a 65 mm or 67 mm oil filter, cost is less than $6.00. Well worth the cost if your going to be changing your own oil. Doesn't slip or bend the oil filter.

The factory filter is definitely tight but with a ratchet it is simple to remove the filter. The factory filter is a little oversized for 67 mm but the 67 mm wrench will tap on the filter if you line it up straight and tap lightly to get it on the filter.

The Yamaha replacement filter my Dealer sold me is a different part number and is 65 mm, the same filter spec. for the Grizzly 700.

Reactions: MORSNO and Deeyoh
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.