Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did my first oil change on the Rmax. At 69 years old it was a bit of a chore. Five drain plugs for the engine oil alone. Was able to change oil filter without removing car panels but not much room in there to work. Today I’ll tackle the diffs and tranny. All in all, love the machine so far. Have fun gents.......

·
Registered
49 Posts
How many miles were on machine when you changed oil, how many quarts of oil did it take.

Thanks
kenner

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,634 Posts
5 drain plugs, ouch
Who's going to be the first to forget to put one back in?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Did my first oil change on the Rmax. At 69 years old it was a bit of a chore. Five drain plugs for the engine oil alone. Was able to change oil filter without removing car panels but not much room in there to work. Today I’ll tackle the diffs and tranny. All in all, love the machine so far. Have fun gents.......
Serious ? 5 drain plugs on just the engine. And it is a dry sump too ?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just did my first oil change at 165 miles and 12.2 engine hours.
I did not need to remove all the plastic panels either, enough room to get at filter from bottom , I changed out all my driveline fluids as well. Should be good to go for awhile now.
kenner

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,634 Posts
Are the lines not slopped such that gravity prevails in getting fluid out the primary engine drains? That a lot of plugs which if and likely one day become over torqued, then stripped. Especially where its not a heavy aluminum casting. I wonder how much is left if the lines are not drained and is it worth it. Leaving a few ounces to blend with the new oil isn't going to be a huge issue. IMO

Never the less you new owners will have to decide. I just thinking about wresting with 5 sources everytime.

Reactions: Roostfactor

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Interesting lots of first services happening way before the 200 mile / 20 hour mark. I'm at just over 150 miles and just over 8 hours. I actually just realized that my front diff is leaking out of the main seal (pretty sure anyway) and am taking it back to the dealership tomorrow. I may just have them do the first service while they have it. Big Pine only charges $50 + parts to do it.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,634 Posts
Liley to flush the packing lube and metal breakin bits out ASAP. Can't hurt

Reactions: wolvymanx4

·
Registered
67 Posts
Is the oil filter the same as the X2?

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,634 Posts
Assuming you all using a high quality Synthetic oil AFTER the breakin and 1st service changes with Yamalube. It would not accumulate into an issue with a small amount lurking around the block and lines. You can never get ever ounce out regardless. Synthetic does not allow proper polishing and breakin being too slippery as I found out after my top end rebuild. I had to run it all over again with Yamalube, so hold off going to synthetic until after the 1st service change is done.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,634 Posts
Interesting, I'd ask the dealer if the breakin oil is synthetic as it limits ring seating I am told. But using it as a default is good as I do on mine.

Ahhh, he might not even know and just GUESS. I hate people who guess on facts. They need to investigate and confirm if not 100% sure.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'll be picking mine back up on Monday or Tuesday and I will ask them what they used and what they were told that they replaced.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My first oil change, the oil looked brand new. Also the X2 and Rmax take the same filter for those that are curios.

Reactions: Gregger17
1 - 20 of 22 Posts