Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went riding last weekend on my Wolverine and had a blast. I had around 100 miles going in on it, mostly easy road/trail miles to get it broke in but this past weekend I finally got to compare it to other machines, we had 3 commanders, 1 RZR 570, 1 RZR 900XP, 1 Ranger 900 XP, 1 RZR 1000XP, 1 Teryx 2, 1 Teryx 4, and my Wolverine Rspec. We did everything from roads to creek riding to a little bit of muddy trails. Overall I am very impressed with it so far, I didnt have any issues keeping up on the fast road sections at all, and in the trails I was super impressed! Its far more agile than almost every machine there in the trails besides the 50" RZR 570. Most of the trails were or are old ATV trails so they are a bit tighter than what you find in a park or riding area. I found myself waiting for the Ranger/RZR/ Teryx's to make 2 point turns where I could zip right threw the tight places with ease, and thanks Yamaha for putting the slide bars before the rear tires it really does make a huge difference. Overall the Commander was probably the most comparable in ride quality and trail capabilities. Another thing that impressed me was the suspension, I am still blown away at how well it soaks up the small chop/roots/logs and how I never got even a bit tired all day. I did have one incident with the 4 wheel drive knob, my knee hit it getting in the ride and popped it off very easily, not that impressed with how cheap it is, I will be ordereing a spare in case I loose it. At the end of the day it was around 40 miles and we all had a blast and I couldnt be happier with my purchase so far! I just installed the half shield, mirror, and fire extinguisher and i'm in dire need of a radio, winch, and wheels and tires so the build will commence! I didnt get to many great pictures but I have a few to share! Any questions just ask!

Attachments

·
Registered
575 Posts
Those were my finding as well, I can ride all day and then some and I'm as refreshed as I was getting in it. I found the rear tire deflector come in handy more than once, and I didn't think they would.Looks like some nice trails you were on. Looking at the pictures I think a decent set of tires it's a must. I like you continue to be amazed every time I take the wolverine out, part of that I'm sure is due to the 28in mud lite. They give me about an inch and a half more clearance so I'm about 13in now.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah actually measuring the stock tires they are more 25" than the 26" that they are supposed to be. I'm thinking about bumping to a set of 26" or 27". We ride a lot of hardpack and little bit of mud, so a good trail tire is what I'm lookin at. My friends on the RZR's have had great luck with Bajacross and Bighorn's.

·
Registered
575 Posts
The mud light work great on hard pack and ride super smooth, but I'm going to be looking at a tire better suited for Rocky, hard pack, type trails. I want to ride in the mountains and I'm sure the mud lite would work well, the big void between the tread makes me nervous on something with the possibility of large sharp rocks.

I'm thinking of set of 28x9x14 big horn (original), efx moto mtc but I'm still looking. I watch the weight of the tires so I can gauge any power loss. The 28 I have now are really light for a 28, I can get mid 50's mph.. Acceleration is still good and I haven't done any clutch work yet. It's hard for me to accept losing the ground clearance to pick up very slight gains in acceleration. I find I seldomly need more acceleration, but I find extra ground clearance is always welcomed.

I'm going to look at the baja tires.. Probably won't be in the market for them until next spring. Looks like 2 sets of wheels and tires are in my future..lol

·
Registered
395 Posts
The mud light work great on hard pack and ride super smooth, but I'm going to be looking at a tire better suited for Rocky, hard pack, type trails. I want to ride in the mountains and I'm sure the mud lite would work well, the big void between the tread makes me nervous on something with the possibility of large sharp rocks.

I'm thinking of set of 28x9x14 big horn (original), efx moto mtc but I'm still looking. I watch the weight of the tires so I can gauge any power loss. The 28 I have now are really light for a 28, I can get mid 50's mph.. Acceleration is still good and I haven't done any clutch work yet. It's hard for me to accept losing the ground clearance to pick up very slight gains in acceleration. I find I seldomly need more acceleration, but I find extra ground clearance is always welcomed.

I'm going to look at the baja tires.. Probably won't be in the market for them until next spring. Looks like 2 sets of wheels and tires are in my future..lol
Give the Sedona Rip Saws a try. I have had great luck with them. Not very expensive either.

The BigHorn originals are great all around tire but I never liked the lug pattern on them. Too much exposed for puncture.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went out to scout some new riding areas last night and snapped this photo. Found out that the best cruising speed 30-35 mph is where the belt whine is heard the worst on this machine, but once you hit 40 its smooth sailing and no whine hardly. It doesn't bother me but its noticeable. My Wolverine is a tad faster in acceleration than his 500 King Quad which i was happy with. Overall about 25 miles put on it last night, getting close to having to do my first service.

Attachments

·
Banned
504 Posts
Went riding last weekend on my Wolverine and had a blast. I had around 100 miles going in on it, mostly easy road/trail miles to get it broke in but this past weekend I finally got to compare it to other machines, we had 3 commanders, 1 RZR 570, 1 RZR 900XP, 1 Ranger 900 XP, 1 RZR 1000XP, 1 Teryx 2, 1 Teryx 4, and my Wolverine Rspec. We did everything from roads to creek riding to a little bit of muddy trails. Overall I am very impressed with it so far, I didnt have any issues keeping up on the fast road sections at all, and in the trails I was super impressed! Its far more agile than almost every machine there in the trails besides the 50" RZR 570. Most of the trails were or are old ATV trails so they are a bit tighter than what you find in a park or riding area. I found myself waiting for the Ranger/RZR/ Teryx's to make 2 point turns where I could zip right threw the tight places with ease, and thanks Yamaha for putting the slide bars before the rear tires it really does make a huge difference. Overall the Commander was probably the most comparable in ride quality and trail capabilities. Another thing that impressed me was the suspension, I am still blown away at how well it soaks up the small chop/roots/logs and how I never got even a bit tired all day. I did have one incident with the 4 wheel drive knob, my knee hit it getting in the ride and popped it off very easily, not that impressed with how cheap it is, I will be ordering a spare in case I loose it. At the end of the day it was around 40 miles and we all had a blast and I couldnt be happier with my purchase so far! I just installed the half shield, mirror, and fire extinguisher and i'm in dire need of a radio, winch, and wheels and tires so the build will commence! I didnt get to many great pictures but I have a few to share! Any questions just ask!
I agree with the agility and ride, amazing! It doesn't feel much bigger on the trails than my 570.
The cvt whine is annoying.
The gal next to the commander could be a model!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I just sold my commander and got a wolverine and i like it a lot better. It rides way nicer, better quality, better reliability,and so much easier to work on. I was unsure about doing it but after reading some of the reports on here I went for it. The big power of the commander was fun but I found it mostly useless on the tight trails of eastern pa I ride on.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I agree with the agility and ride, amazing! It doesn't feel much bigger on the trails than my 570.
The cvt whine is annoying.
The gal next to the commander could be a model!
If you think the cvt is loud on the wolverine you should hear a commander, between the cvt and the rear diff whine you needed ear plugs, not to mention the extreme heat in the cab.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah the commanders I ride with have wrapped exhaust, heat/sound dampening material on them and they are still warm and noisy. Size and how they handle the trail is similar though.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Yeah the commanders I ride with have wrapped exhaust, heat/sound dampening material on them and they are still warm and noisy. Size and how they handle the trail is similar though.
I can attest to the heat. I had an Outlander 650, then Commander 800, then Maverick 1000. CanAms have great power, just run SUPER hot. Went into limp mode just about every time I went riding in the mud and had to find water and clean out the radiator.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got out on another good ride this past weekend with my Wolverine, rolled back home right at 300 miles on it. I went threw some mud, slow trail riding, and some rock crawling in and out of a small creek and the Wolverine performed flawlessly. I do think the next mod will have to be a radio though, I really needed some tunes. I am still amazed at the control and comfort of this thing when the trail gets rough, it is something you have to drive to believe it. Overall I am ready for the next ride and hope to get some better photo's, its just hard to get any shots when I'm having to much fun driving it lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update after a couple good rides this past weekend, the rain has subsided finally here in Illinois and the Wabash river was low enough to play and swim in, which was necessary because the heat index was over 100 degrees! Went with a Teryx 800, RZR 1000, two RZR 900XP's and one new RZR 900S. The XP1000 broke and axle and one RZR900 XP starting leaking oil so bad he had to bring it back to the truck :) Again i'll say it but they were impressed with the Wolverine and I could crawl and climb up almost everything they did, the 1000 had an advantage over me in a few areas but that was mostly due to tire size only. This thing says it has 26'' bighorns but measure them out they are 25's. Pretty disapointed in that honestly but I will fix that problem in the near future! Looking at upgrading to 27's once I get some money flow goin. I also bought a marine radio cover and put it in the open box location in the center console so now I have another nice storage location. Overall I am still very happy with my purchase and looking to add some upgrades in the near future :cool:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
For crawling/climbing ground clearance is almost everything. If something gets rutted out with 30inch tires.. 26 isn't going to be to effective. Looks like a lot of fun there though :D

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Im more worried about the weight and power loss of upgrading tires than the price. I think 27's will give me 2'' more of clearance and still be close to stock power and still be capable on the trails i'm riding. 28's are probably to much and overkill for where we are riding.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Their is very little weight difference between a 27 and 28 inch tire. Sometimes the 27 weighs more than 28's. All depends on the model of tire though and many times 12" rim tires weigh more than 14" rim tires.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts