Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody added the aftermarket fender flares that yamaha has?? If so could you tell me something about the installation process, and whether or not they are sturdy? And do they keep the mud from flying as bad?

·
Registered
718 Posts
I'm not 100% sure on the installation because mine haven't shown up yet, but I know you do have to drill the holes. I've heard people say that similar installations on rhinos only take a half hour or so. As far as keeping mud down, they do a pretty good job. One of my local dealers did a factory demo in mid April. The demo I took out that day had the flares and it kept me pretty clean for being as rainy as it was. I stayed cleaner on that rainy ride than I did the first time I took mine out on a sunny day when we hadn't had rain for a few days. Well worth the $150 in my book.

·
November WOTM Winner!
878 Posts
I had mine put on by the dealer when I bought mine so I can't say about installation. Just looks like drilling some holes and bolting them on to me. They're very from what I've seen, definitely not worried about them breaking off.

As far a keeping mud down I can't say because I've onlt driven mine with them. But this thing throws mud pretty good so I can't imagine how bad it'd be without them

·
Registered
186 Posts
My dealer invited me to do the assembly of Wolverine and also all accessories with his mechanics. His mechanic was obviously familiar with the installation of the mud guards so even though this was their first Wolverine he move quickly and removed the rear side panels to install the rear guards. As stated earlier all the holes need to be drilled and I would say the entire process took about 40 minutes. The front holes in the rear mud guards are tight to the body but if you have good hand dexterity it will go quickly!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great info thanks fellas! One more question... I saw that you said they were $150 mimeeks3. Is that per mudguard? The yamaha website doesn't seem clear to me i can't tell if thats per mudguard, or for all 4 of them.

·
November WOTM Winner!
878 Posts
Great info thanks fellas! One more question... I saw that you said they were $150 mimeeks3. Is that per mudguard? The yamaha website doesn't seem clear to me i can't tell if thats per mudguard, or for all 4 of them.
For the set of 4

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
I installed mine in my garage. The front two were easy, just try to line everything up and drill one hole at a time, then insert a bolt, then go to the next. That way you don't end up crooked. The back two sucked a little, as you have to remove the rear fender liner and/or the side panels. The driver's side panel isn't as bad, but the passenger one sucks because of the gas cap. Still only took me about an hour and fifteen minutes, but could have been half that if not for removing the panels. The kit comes with all four fenders, an installation paper, and all the hardware. They give you more bolts than nuts...not sure why...you don't use them.

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
To be honest I have not taken it out in the mud since I installed them. I only just installed them this week, as they hadn't been shipped with the bike. What I can tell you though, is it doesn't look like they will do much if you put wider tires on. If you leave them stock though, they look wide enough to help, some. The front ones are pretty darn narrow, and the rears aren't a lot better. It certainly won't hurt, but I am not sure it is worth $150.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I put mine on myself and it was a little harder than expected but still not too bad. Had to take some panels off to get a wrench to hold the bolts while installing. As for the mud protection you can probably see a slight difference with the stock tires, but right after I put them on I put 28x10x12 terminators on all around and they sling mud all over. Im sure they help a little and they look good.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I'm waiting on the call from the dealer that mine are in. They didn't have any in stock and were back ordered when I bought mine.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I put mine on myself and it was a little harder than expected but still not too bad. Had to take some panels off to get a wrench to hold the bolts while installing. As for the mud protection you can probably see a slight difference with the stock tires, but right after I put them on I put 28x10x12 terminators on all around and they sling mud all over. Im sure they help a little and they look good.
Pictures with the terminator. My friend runs them on his ranger 900xp.. the same size. I'm wondering what they look like on a wolverine.

·
Registered
71 Posts
It's kind of stupid they don't just let you order them with the flares (or just come standard), mine came with them installed out of the box because it is camo.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My camo came with them too but the dealership didnt know they did because it was their first one and not fully assembled when I purchased it. If you look at the photos on Yamaha's web site or go to the build your own, all the camos have them and the other colors dont. .

·
Registered
718 Posts
If you want them, hopefully your dealer has some in stock. I just talked to my dealer and mine that were ordered in early May won't be here till mid July.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Same with mine, ordered early may and still waiting. lucky this is the dry season here as they are sure needed badly.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Same with mine, ordered early may and still waiting. lucky this is the dry season here as they are sure needed badly.
I'd like to get mine asap. After putting my new wheel and tires on, it widened the front end out a little bit, so I'm hoping that with the flares it can get it back close to what the stockers did as far as mud slinging.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts