Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Another thought. Isn't the frame powder coated from the factory? So they are grinding off powder coat and hitting with a little paint when finished? I'm sorry but this is not an acceptable repair for brand new machine.

·
Registered
2021 Rmax4 SE
93 Posts
I just had a look at mine and it looks like the welds are there on my machine. Based on the location from my recall notice anyway.I'll bring it by the dealer so it can be checked off and incase there is something more to the recall.

Attachments

Reactions: wolvymanx4

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I just had a look at mine and it looks like the welds are there on my machine. Based on the location from my recall notice anyway.I'll bring it by the dealer so it can be checked off and incase there is something more to the recall.
Interesting, does your notification have a different picture diagram than what's been posted? I guess they could have eliminated confusion by taking an actual picture and outlining the weld or even stated 'vertical' or 'horizontal' welds.

·
Registered
2021 Rmax4 SE
93 Posts
Interesting, does your notification have a different picture diagram than what's been posted? I guess they could have eliminated confusion by taking an actual picture and outlining the weld or even stated 'vertical' or 'horizontal' welds.
No no different diagram. Just comparing my machine to the picture on the one I posted.
When I posted the recall originally I didn't go out and look at my sxs and after going out and looking last night and reading the recall a couple times I'm thinking it's just the inside horizontal welds. Like I said earlier I'll still bring it in incase I'm missing something. But with the arrows pointing to the bottom inside I'm only assuming these were the welds they were concerned with. There doesn't look like there is anything else there to weld.

Reactions: MassiveOverkill

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,879 Posts
Another thought. Isn't the frame powder coated from the factory? So they are grinding off powder coat and hitting with a little paint when finished? I'm sorry but this is not an acceptable repair for brand new machine.
I agree and mentioned the removing of the paint a few posts back. I am in the Rust belt and drive in the winter when I can. I wouldn't want to see rust on the frame at all. This is a real mess on their part as said for a machine of this cost. I'd have the machine inspected only and see what the dealer says. Refuse the repair unless you're really happy about what is going to happen in that regard.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I think this is the weld in diagram.

Reactions: Sparky87

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000
2,109 Posts
No no different diagram. Just comparing my machine to the picture on the one I posted.
When I posted the recall originally I didn't go out and look at my sxs and after going out and looking last night and reading the recall a couple times I'm thinking it's just the inside horizontal welds. Like I said earlier I'll still bring it in incase I'm missing something. But with the arrows pointing to the bottom inside I'm only assuming these were the welds they were concerned with. There doesn't look like there is anything else there to weld.
Ok now Im confused. I dont think that there is any spot for horizontal welds. Only vertical. Here's pics of mine again.

Reactions: therebel19

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Back of the bracket, bottom edge of frame. The plate to the frame, not the bracket to the plate.
If I'm seeing what I think I see in your second pic it looks like it's there on your machine.

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I don't think the horizontal weld is weld in question. Look at the big bowtie welds on the larger bracket that go on each side of the frame. I think it's the vertical welds that risk being compromised.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I don't think the horizontal weld is weld in question. Look at the big bowtie welds on the larger bracket that go on each side of the frame. I think it's the vertical welds that risk being compromised.
Initially, just glancing at the picture, the upper welds could be in question, but the red arrows are only pointing the the side welds. I've updated the OP based on the document you provided, thanks.

View attachment 90686
I don't know for sure until we see a picture of missing welds, but the diagram you posted seem to call out the bottom inside pretty clearly.

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000
2,109 Posts
I see now. Gonna have to double check those ones. I wasn't even thinking the plate to frame welds they look so stout on the side of the frame. I'll have to check them for the inside ones though.

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000
2,109 Posts
Just a follow up. I checked the welds on the inside of the shock mount plates and my RMAX4 has them. Everything seems to have welds everywhere so I think I'm in the clear. If I still receive a letter Ill take it in to be checked off but until then Ill keep motoing.

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 LE
18 Posts
my machine has been in the shop now for almost 3 weeks. The owner of the dealership called me yesterday to tell me they are still waiting for the drawings from Yamaha. Has anyone heard how Yamaha is going to fix this?

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000 LE
170 Posts
If these frames were dipped for rust protection , welding will burn off internal coating. They simply can not ever be fixed "properly" in my opinion. This is one big f-up by YAMAHA. Hopefully not many are effected , but if mine was I would be talking about replacement. I know that is unlikely, but certainly optimal.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha Wolverine RMAX4 LE
129 Posts
From my dealer...

·
Registered
129 Posts
And the letter that Yamaha started sending out..

·
Premium Member
2021 RMAX4 XTR
541 Posts
And the letter that Yamaha started sending out.. View attachment 92353
Yes that's the letter I received today I talked about in the other thread, When mine goes in for first service I'll have them check the welds, and I want to seem them myself so I know they ways checked although I'll check them myself next time I pull it into the garage !

·
Registered
129 Posts
Not sure. Dealer printed that one off for me and said that was the weld that had to be inspected. I’ll ask and see if I can get the rest of the bulletin.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That would be awesome thank you! Better safe than sorry. I will get mine in eventually but am an hour from my dealer and would like to see it with my own eyes.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts