Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·

·
Registered
2021 RMax 2 Gray in Nova Scotia
1,058 Posts
Looking at those pics actually makes me feel better about owning a Yamaha more than I'd be discouraged about it.

Not sure how much of a weld bead may be missing but that whole area looks pretty robust.

That said, it looks like a PITA for whoever is going to fix it. As that's probably the first thing that's welded on to the main chassis frame.

Sounds like you are OK. Makes sense actually because the 2 seat & 4 seat RMAX's have totally different rear shock mounts.

2 seat: View attachment 90360

4 seat: View attachment 90361

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000
2,109 Posts
We got a little dusting of snow this morning so I had been waiting for it to melt off my cover before I pulled it up to inspect my shock mounts. It's really not too hard to stick you phones camera lens right there and get a good shot of it. I snapped 3 quick pics of each side and these were the best. I clearly have welds in that location as well. Makes me feel much better. As long as this is the correct location of the problem.

Driver side:

Passenger side:

·
Registered
193 Posts
I’ll check mine tomorrow but I may be good because my vin number starts completely different.
5Y4AN39Y3MA 1****0

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha RMAX 2 XT-R 1000
1,435 Posts
I’ll check mine tomorrow but I may be good because my vin number starts completely different.
5Y4AN39Y3MA 1****0
It's not the vin #'s, it's the model #'s, check your sales receipt for numbers similar to the below. YXF are apparently 4 seaters
Your #looks like it IS in the group. 5Y4AN39Y3MA100151

2021 YXF10WPZM AN39Y 100101 to 100550
2021 YXF10WPLM AN39Y 100201 to 100390
2021 YXF10WPAM AN40Y 100101 to 100470

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
We got a little dusting of snow this morning so I had been waiting for it to melt off my cover before I pulled it up to inspect my shock mounts. It's really not too hard to stick you phones camera lens right there and get a good shot of it. I snapped 3 quick pics of each side and these were the best. I clearly have welds in that location as well. Makes me feel much better. As long as this is the correct location of the problem.
It's probably easier to check on non LE models. The iQS harness is in the way on LE's

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000
2,109 Posts
It's probably easier to check on non LE models. The iQS harness is in the way on LE's
Hey Massive. I tried to find the shock mount discussion on FB but couldn't. Did anybody by any chance post any pics of RMAX's that have the missing welds?

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Hey Massive. I tried to find the shock mount discussion on FB but couldn't. Did anybody by any chance post any pics of RMAX's that have the missing welds?
I haven't seen anyone post pics of missing welds. Talk/leaks didn't happen until a day or two ago so I don't know how many have checked theirs yet.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I really cant see that weld making much of a difference even if it was missed. If the weld on the outside is good it should be more than enough unless the frame is notched there. I wonder if it is another weld on the bracket they are talking about.

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I really cant see that weld making much of a difference even if it was missed. If the weld on the outside is good it should be more than enough unless the frame is notched there. I wonder if it is another weld on the bracket they are talking about.
I'm in agreement for short term use. According to the recall, the missing welds could cause the bracket to flex and cause the outer welds to eventually fail.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The shock brackets on my front A arms are only welded on the outside.
The rear frame shock mounts are welded on both sides of the side of the frame. They are only welded on one side on the top of the frame.
From what I can tell, everything else looks good.

·
Registered
2021 Rmax4 SE
93 Posts
Models covered are as follows (RMAX4's). Note, this is for US customers only. I don't even know if Canadian models would be affected, but if so, I'm sure it would be covered by a separate document.

Hey everyone,
This recall also effects Canadian models. Just a heads up.

Attachments

Reactions: MassiveOverkill

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
Initially, just glancing at the picture, the upper welds could be in question, but the red arrows are only pointing the the side welds. I've updated the OP based on the document you provided, thanks.

·
Registered
193 Posts
If that’s all we’re looking for mines good. It’s the lower front a-arm shock mounts that are only welded on one side On my machine.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Nope. No way I would let a dealer weld on a $20k machine. Welder of my choice on Yamaha's dime or new machine. Most these dealers can't even get the new machine prep right.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,877 Posts
Yep, I agree, a professional welder. Right rod etc not trial and error to get a solid bead weld flowing. I have a welder but know my limitations. I had a buddy do the welding on my trailer box as upside down & vertical welds along with the easier horizontal were required. The paint needs to be cleaned/removed as well. What dealer has a trained welder.

·
Registered
2021 Rmax4 SE
93 Posts
They do make note in the recall notice that they may not to keep the unit longer than 2.5 hours . I wonder if that has something to do with the procedure of the repair and having a qualified welder preform the repair(timing of having the welder onsite as little as possible) ?I'm not sure Yamaha from a legal stance would want to rely on a shop tech who doesn't know how to weld properly putting them in a bad legal position. But that's speculation.

I won't be getting my sxs in to the dealership till after the new year but I'll keep everyone posted if it ends up needing to be welded.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts