Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don’t know how I did this but I did. Embarrassing and costly. Interesting, it shifted fine at first and I got about 20 miles before it started raising hell. I had to drive it home about a mile before parking it. The cam plate sliders melted. The nubs are supposed to be down so the angles can work.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Locking hubs

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I tore it down and it obviously needs a new belt. Got that today and then found this. The primary fixed sheave doesn't seem right. I've never removed it so don't know. Is it supposed to just pull off? Here's the service manual, I can't find where it says it needs to be pulled so I'm guessing it does not. Can you confirm that?

White Font Auto part Motor vehicle Circle

Here's a video of what I'm seeing. Thanks for you help!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't pull it off by hand.

In a perfect situation I just need a new primary fixed sheave. I'm hoping that's all it is. Can you confirm the primary fixed sheave is not pressed on, and should just pull off?

Any ideas as to why it is acting like it is? It should be threaded on to that shaft and not spin, correct?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
It should slide right off the shaft.
You did remove the nut right?

Reactions: therebel19

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The primary is out. This is the fixed sheave at the back.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
The primary is out. This is the fixed sheave at the back.
Ah sorry, I didn’t watch the video.
Fixed sheave is on splines just like the cam plate.
Maybe Shock it with a wood mallet!

·
Registered
2021 Red-neck Edition RMAX2 XT-R
1,323 Posts
Maybe a BFC?
Rectangle Font Logo Parallel Slope
:unsure:
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've heard of a BFH but not a BFC!

That's what I thought. It's not supposed to slip. I'll have to pull it off. Hopefully there's no other damage.

I'm really down on myself about this. But hey - live and learn and help others.

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
4,009 Posts
In most cases when the primary fixed sheave is toast, the splines on the shaft are good. Your primary fixed sheave splines are destroyed. If you can pull it off with a little pressure, do so.

Guys, think of the line on the cam plate sliders as in 'I' which stands for 'Inside' meaning they face inside the sheave when installed on the cam plate.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, I knew you guys would be there with answers. I'm tempted to go back out there tonight but I'll wait until the sun rises again. Such a stupid mistake and so embarrassing.

·
Registered
2021 RMAX 2 XT-R
621 Posts
I've heard of a BFH but not a BFC!

That's what I thought. It's not supposed to slip. I'll have to pull it off. Hopefully there's no other damage.

I'm really down on myself about this. But hey - live and learn and help others.
Thanks, I knew you guys would be there with answers. I'm tempted to go back out there tonight but I'll wait until the sun rises again. Such a stupid mistake and so embarrassing.
I’m truly sorry this happened to you. I can only imagine how you feel, but don’t beat yourself up over it, you’ll be back in the game in no time. Let this be a lesson for the rest of us.

·
Registered
2021 Red-neck Edition RMAX2 XT-R
1,323 Posts
In most cases when the primary fixed sheave is toast, the splines on the shaft are good. Your primary fixed sheave splines are destroyed. If you can pull it off with a little pressure, do so.

Guys, think of the line on the cam plate sliders as in 'I' which stands for 'Inside' meaning they face inside the sheave when installed on the cam plate.
Like this?
Automotive tire Bumper Grey Automotive exterior Line

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow that first picture is gnarly nasty.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thanks for sharing this Paul65,
You can rest assured you are saving trouble for someone down the road.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yes the fixed sheave just sides off. Don't use a crowbar, use a rubber or wooden mallet. Preferably rubber.

I still don't understand where you put the sliders? Did you not install them on the cam plate at all?

Thanks for swallowing your pride and sharing. Its a learning experience for all.

Reactions: Paul65

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
At this point, I would think of the fixed sheave as sacrificial. The shaft probably gets much more pricey. Since it will not slide off, I would take a torch to it and be icing the shaft to hopefully free it and also hold the shaft and try to twist sheave to work it loose. Next would be a puller and if you cannot find a puller that that big you could make one with some all thread rods with a hook (either bent rod end or a plate bent) and a center plate with a welded nut and bolt.

·
Engineer
1,905 Posts
I have only seen one other person melt my sliders. That person melted their primary fixed sheave. The sliders are angled on the inside to match the primary sheave slider tower angles. I am surprised the sheave even functioned that way. I am currently redesigning the sliders so that they are easier to install and they only fit one way.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Man this has me second guessing my install I made sure they were all the same direction but can’t remember if it was in or out. But I did use grease if that helps any?

1 - 20 of 82 Posts