Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we went for a little ride tonight and I noticed that the head pipe was glowing red. I'm sure it's due to a lean condition especially being that it's 0 degrees. Normal or not?

Reactions: Bert

·
November WOTM Winner!
882 Posts
Normal from the lean condition. You can get the power commander to change the map and lower the exhaust temps

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will the red hot exhaust wreck anything?

Reactions: Bert

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Pipes have been noted to get brittle and crack from the hot cold cycling.

·
November WOTM Winner!
882 Posts
Only one that I know of on here cracked one. Guess time will tell if it becomes a problem. This lean mapping is really annoying. Chazzy your from a cold area, not sure if your machine is stored in a heated area, if not does yours die a few times when starting cold? Appears also from lean mapping

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wi rider, mine is not in a heated garage. It has been a turd to start....but I think mostly because the battery wasnt fully charged as the dealer installed a few accessories and then I trailered it back 5.5 hrs in sub-zero windchills. But last night I think I got the battery charged up pretty good from our little ride. I'll try it after work today and let you know tho.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Are they lean from
The factory for a reason. Or just bad tuning

·
Vendor
771 Posts
Are they lean from
The factory for a reason. Or just bad tuning
yes for a reason, EPA and emissions

Also, there is this thing dealing with EPA points a manufacturer gets. Lets say Yamaha gets 100 points to use and they have a very profitable vehicle or motorcycle but it is bad on the environment, they can use points from another vehicle to use on it so they can sell it.

This is also like black market stuff, manufacturers can sell the points to each other. I had a insider explain this all to me once. Just crazy

So they made this one lean and it really does not hurt the majority of vehicles or cause a issue and they use the points on something else

·
Registered
395 Posts
I know people say these run lean but I am not sure if its for EPA certification. In the automotive industry, at least, an intentionally designed lean burn engine is 1) Usually direct injection 2) Requires more complication catalytic converters 3) Potentially causes more environmental damage because of the higher NOx emissions (hence the need to NOx reducing measures further down the exhaust system). 4) Has extensive computer controlled injection and A:F monitoring to prevent over heating your combustion chamber and ruining your piston.

Just some thoughts.

·
Engineer
1,807 Posts
This is happening to all of the bikes in the motorcycle industry. It's especially worse on the dual sport bikes and they hardly run off the showroom floor. In the past 3 years, I have flashed over 1000 ecus and programmed close to 2000 powercommanders.

·
Registered
395 Posts
This is happening to all of the bikes in the motorcycle industry. It's especially worse on the dual sport bikes and they hardly run off the showroom floor. In the past 3 years, I have flashed over 1000 ecus and programmed close to 2000 powercommanders.
I can believe it.

Just curious if its because of emissions certification or other. Running lean creates more NOx which is still terrible for the environment. They only reason lean gas motors can do so is with advanced modern A:F monitoring and advanced catalyst reduction before the tailpipe. I'm sure the Wolverine doesn't have the latter. Increasing A:F ratios doesn't immediately result in a cleaner exhaust output.

Each engine has its ideal A:F. Usually run it lean as you can then dial it back a bi. Better to tune tad little rich to avoid other issues.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wi rider....after leaving the charger on mine all night in the non heated garage, it took 2 tries to start. Cranked over real nice, but it died right away the first time. I think a PCV is a very feasible solution somewhere in the future.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Will the $$price of these power commanders Be coming down at some point, and is there ever a point when they are on sale. 350$ is a lot of money for me personally,

·
Registered
207 Posts
Iv read this also. That lean burn is even worse for the environment a. Does anyone know what the AFR is set at from the factory?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Interesting

·
Vendor
771 Posts
Will the $$price of these power commanders Be coming down at some point, and is there ever a point when they are on sale. 350$ is a lot of money for me personally,
THey are $399 retail and we sell them with the correct mapping, actually we are the only ones with the mapping for this issue and the price is $320 shipped to any lower 48 state

link the power commander on our site - Yamaha Wolverine

Todd

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
Has anyone with the hot exhaust checked valve clearance ?
Mine has never done it, but my buddies has. We ride together so I'd say environmental differences is not the cause. When I checked my valve clearance I was right in the middle of spec, but we checked his the other night we found that the exhaust valves were just a hair too tight (.007") but the intakes were so tight that I couldn't fit a .0015" feeler gauge in between the cam and the follower. If it's that tight cold it would definitely affect valve overlap and possibly lead to the ridiculous exhaust temperatures

Reactions: Timmi
1 - 20 of 48 Posts