Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my wolverine warms up it has a loud high pitched squeak. It is mostly at idle and quits with some throttle. Pushing on either of the springs that hold the 2 exhaust pipe halves together in the middle, will stop it for a short time then it comes right back. Any suggestions other than stay on the throttle? I would appreciate any input.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Mine did it bad for the first couple rides, but eventually went away. I'm at 200 miles now and it hasn't done it for a long time. I believe its just the exhaust all setting in with the heat and once it gets broke in it goes away.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Funny, I noticed that like the second time I road it. It is just where the exhaust header and pipe fit together. It did go away after few hours on the machine. Just working itself in.

·
Registered
388 Posts
At idle on like my second ride I noticed that high pitched squeak too but I haven't noticed it in a while like others have said above it eventually went away.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Took my bed off to check the cvt tubing that I read about on the fourm and actually found the squeaking to be the springs that hold the slip on muffler to the head pipe and it has quieted with some miles and mud.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I noticed the noise on mine too and had a similar issue on my Grizzly as well, but I don't recall having heard the noise last winter on the Grizz.

·
November WOTM Winner!
877 Posts
I noticed it on mine at idle now as well. It seems to be worse now that I power washed it clean but maybe it's just me.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
I had to remove the tailpipe/ muffler to install my heat shield so I put a little anti-seize on the cone and spring ends and that took care of it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have about 120 miles on my wolverine so far and the squeaking is pretty loud. First service dept I asked about said it is a completely normal wolverine noise...lol gotta love dealerships...We all have it where the header pipe joints the exhaust pipe with the two springs, and the 2nd dealership said that it is the pipe flexing and rubbing together. Recomendation I was given was to either put on a full exhaust kit or take the joint apart and apply some anti seize lube, however when the lube comes off the noise will return. Im thinking about trying some high temp gasket maker orange or black instead of the anti seize lube.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
I have about 120 miles on my wolverine so far and the squeaking is pretty loud. First service dept I asked about said it is a completely normal wolverine noise...lol gotta love dealerships...We all have it where the header pipe joints the exhaust pipe with the two springs, and the 2nd dealership said that it is the pipe flexing and rubbing together. Recomendation I was given was to either put on a full exhaust kit or take the joint apart and apply some anti seize lube, however when the lube comes off the noise will return. Im thinking about trying some high temp gasket maker orange or black instead of the anti seize lube.
Anti-seize as kept mine from sqeaking.....so far

Reactions: TC618

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
It may be a Yamaha thing, many Grizzly's also have exhaust rattles/noise when new. It seems after a few good heat cycles and exhaust build-up (carbon?) the pipes settle in and the noise goes away. Wolverines seem to run very lean and hot, so it may take longer for a build-up to seat the exhaust pipe pieces.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Mine is pretty much gone at 37 hrs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I hope you all are right because personally I cant stand that noise. I bought some high temp copper gasket maker last night and im gonna try to seat that in between the joint.

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
Heat shields were also "rattle traps" on new Grizzlys and required a little tightening after a few rides....

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have this squeak really bad. I have 3 miles on my machine. It's so loud you don't hear the engine run. I'm gonna work on a fix this week.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have this squeak really bad. I have 3 miles on my machine. It's so loud you don't hear the engine run. I'm gonna work on a fix this week.
You can see a lot of us had the same issue. I tried high temp anti seize, but in the end it just needed a good mud bath. That cured it quick and it hasn't been back.

Reactions: MORSNO
1 - 20 of 45 Posts