Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed the break-in procedure.

Seems very excessive compared to other brands.

And changing all the oils after 20 hours? Even the front and rear diff?

Seems crazy

·
Registered
376 Posts
I was just reasonably easy on the throttle for the first 150 miles or whatever the manual said and took it back to the dealer for service. Starting season 3 with 3500 miles and no issues as of yet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I was just reasonably easy on the throttle for the first 150 miles or whatever the manual said and took it back to the dealer for service. Starting season 3 with 3500 miles and no issues as of yet.
Being an engine tech for almost 40 years, I am just curious as to why the extreme measures.

Are the cylinder sleeves not steel? What are they worried about in the diffs and gear box?

These measures are above and beyond what Honda recommends and the Yamaha quality seems superior.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just an FYI, I have been told that due to the coatings used inside the engine, That is the reason for the engine break-in procedure.

Still trying figure out the trans and diffs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't think its so much the engine as it is for the Diff. I think more for the gears to set in properly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think its so much the engine as it is for the Diff. I think more for the gears to set in properly.
Maybe they some special break-in lubricant. I have seen diffs and gear boxes go many years on the same oil.

You would have to have some seriously abrasive oil to hurt steel gears.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
I searched the Owners Manual and the Service Manual.
The only mention of "Break In" is for the engine.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
20hrs is nothing.
Heck, I've had my cars heads machined and rebuild and was told to not drive over 55 for 500 miles.
I followed their recommendations and the engine felt super tight until about 495 miles and everything freed up and felt seated.
They were pretty close I'd say....lol.

Reactions: Geo

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
20hrs is nothing.
Heck, I've had my cars heads machined and rebuild and was told to not drive over 55 for 500 miles.
I followed their recommendations and the engine felt super tight until about 495 miles and everything freed up and felt seated.
They were pretty close I'd say....lol.
That is not the norm, was it high performance stuff?

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
If you notice in the maintenance section, it says to change the trans and diff oils at 20 hours.
Maintenance Record.

At first I thought that was crazy early for First Service (20hrs), but after replacing all my fluids, everything in the cars drivability seemed much smoother.
I know engines and other components get assembly lube, so once all said components wear/seat themselves together, it's best to remove any assembly lube/debris that's related to that process.
Also any wear debris can cause pitting in the gears with prolong use.
As a Millwright, I've had to use a burr bit and relieve pits in gears so the pressures don't continue to cause further damage.

Yamaha oil filter from the Yamaha Triple Engine. Packed with assembly lube.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
That is not the norm, was it high performance stuff?
Nope, just a Dodge Intrepid V6 car.
The engine felt super tight and touchy, so I followed their recommendations.
The change was instantly noticeable and I looked at my trip meter.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maintenance Record.

View attachment 95554

At first I thought that was crazy early for First Service (20hrs), but after replacing all my fluids, everything in the cars drivability seemed much smoother.
I know engines and other components get assembly lube, so once all said components wear/seat themselves together, it's best to remove any assembly lube/debris that's related to that process.
Also any wear debris can cause pitting in the gears with prolong use.
As a Millwright, I've had to use a burr bit and relieve pits in gears so the pressures don't continue to cause further damage.

Yamaha oil filter from the Yamaha Triple Engine. Packed with assembly lube.
View attachment 95555
That's nutty, Never had that issue with any other brand.

You certainly don't have that problem with Honda products.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
That's nutty, Never had that issue with any other brand.

You certainly don't have that problem with Honda products.
Right right, but that Triple Engine isn't happy unless it's seeing really high RPMs as that's where it's Power Band is. :D

·
Registered
2,046 Posts

Seems crazy

Seems crazy
Changing ALL fluids after 20 hours, engine, transmission, final, differential, to flush out any potential contamination from the manufacturing, machining, assembly process and initial wearing of all moving parts seems to be normal to me. Makes a lot of sense!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Changing ALL fluids after 20 hours, engine, transmission, final, differential, to flush out any potential contamination from the manufacturing, machining, assembly process and initial wearing of all moving parts seems to be normal to me. Makes a lot of sense!
I understand that the engine parts, such as the pistons and cylinders have high tech coating now and that explains the engine break in. But the trans and diff change after 20 hours sounds like they are trying to sell oil.

Unless they are now using coatings inside the gear boxes as well. A slight bit of errant shavings from the break in will no way hurt a steel gear. It would have to be a half pound of it. No other manufacturer calls for this.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
I understand that the engine parts, such as the pistons and cylinders have high tech coating now and that explains the engine break in. But the trans and diff change after 20 hours sounds like they are trying to sell oil.

Unless they are now using coatings inside the gear boxes as well. A slight bit of errant shavings from the break in will no way hurt a steel gear. It would have to be a half pound of it. No other manufacturer calls for this.
Are they just using coatings or coating with heat treating?
Some internals are forged I believe and suppose to be turbo ready IIRC.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
I've done 4 complete fluid changes in less than 3K miles.
I will say that after the first fluid service, there was a night and day difference in drivability as everything, engine/drivetrain, just felt smoother.

Reactions: Geo and Budro2

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Well it seems common sense to me, and they also didn’t sell me any of there oil!
So if your ok with say a 1/4 pound of contamination running around in your oil then go on with it!

😂🤦‍♂️ seriously I wonder what even an 1/8 pound of metal filings would look like by volume on a scale. Just go dump that in with your new oil. It ain’t gonna hurt nothin!

I couldn’t say personally that Yamaha is or isn’t the only manufacturer calling for a 20 hour fluid change but I would have to bet it is pretty standard procedure across the board.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well it seems common sense to me, and they also didn’t sell me any of there oil!
So if your ok with say a 1/4 pound of contamination running around in your oil then go on with it!

😂🤦‍♂️ seriously I wonder what even an 1/8 pound of metal filings would look like by volume on a scale. Just go dump that in with your new oil. It ain’t gonna hurt nothin!

I couldn’t say personally that Yamaha is or isn’t the only manufacturer calling for a 20 hour fluid change but I would have to bet it is pretty standard procedure across the board.
I am not saying it's not a good idea, I would just like to know the reason.

I doubt you will find a gram of fillings, let alone 1/8 pound.

But then again, if Sears built your gear box........

1 - 20 of 22 Posts