Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

101 - 120 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hardfacing has various applications sounds like you were cladding Wear plates for abrasion. I worked at a place called PJ Valves that did work for the NAVY. We would apply Stellite #6 which is a Cobalt Based material (Rockwell of 38-42C) into a machined groove on Valves or Discs. Both parts were then finish machined and were Dye Penetrant tested to check for Porosity. We did most of it using a Mechanized (PTA) Plasma Transferred Arc machine which worked well. We also had procedures for both Oxy-Acetylene and TIG Processes. We did a lot of Carbon Steel Globe Valves, Chrome Moly Components and some Stainless Steel Gate Valves.
Huh???? What the hell did you say? So, did the rocket ever take off?

·
Premium Member
21 rmax2
103 Posts
Update..... I am Un-Retiring!
For the last couple years my neighbor has been asking me to be his "Ranch Manager." I may be crazy but this weekend I caved in and accepted. He's a part time resident so mostly I will take care of things when he's gone and help him with all the projects he has planned. The first one should be fun. His new 60' x 100' shop is about halfway built and he wants me to list all the new tools & equipment needed to outfit it.
The term "Ranch" is a little misleading. There are no animals except for the elk, deer, and other natural critters. His place is 210 acres of forest and meadows. About 50 acres of the meadows is flood irrigated from a creek diversion in the National Forest. My irrigation comes from there too. We can get two cuttings of grass hay if the snow pack is good.
Now I just need to remember more of the things my Dad taught me while growing up on the farm in Idaho. I love doing this kind of stuff. :p
Where ya at?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Huh???? What the hell did you say? So, did the rocket ever take off?
Sorry I guess I am a little too passionate about what I did while working there. No rockets all of the valves went into submarines.

Reactions: Doc T and BumbleBee

·
Registered
2021 X4
219 Posts
Western Montana near a little town called Darby. I'm about 3 miles from the Chief Joseph Ranch where the TV series "Yellowstone" is filmed.
We were looking at Livingston real hard as one of our next places to move from Idaho.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha Wolverine X4 XT-R 850 - OEM roof, Moose 72" plow, snatch/pulley mod.
19 Posts
Owner/CEO of a GIS (Geographic information systems) consulting firm specializing in system design, strategic implementation, and deployments for US and international clients in the government, utilities, transportation, and environmental industries. The systems are similar to the COVID 19 internet maps hosted by Johns Hopkins. Been working for many organizations over 25 years using the same evolving technology and it never gets old.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Owner/CEO of a GIS (Geographic information systems) consulting firm specializing in system design, strategic implementation, and deployments for US and international clients in the government, utilities, transportation, and environmental industries. The systems are similar to the COVID 19 internet maps hosted by Johns Hopkins. Been working for many organizations over 25 years using the same evolving technology and it never gets old.
I love this technology especially for my industry of forestry it has made everything faster and more efficient so thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
941 Posts
I don’t need geographic systems to find my work but I sure appreciate them when I am out of the OR !

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
I have been paid (poorly) exploring Western Colorad and Easter Utah. I owned an adventure tourism company in the Grand Junction, Moab area providing specialized and highly supported mountain bike tours. Slept outside over 100 days a year. This was at the time Fruita was just taking off. 1996 through 2002. After the economy tanked in Junction I was forced to relocate to the "far side", Colorado front range. Reinvented myself into a residential general contractor. Now in my late 50's we are planning our escape. We make it back to the Western slope often to ride but are planning our final escape to Wyoming.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
A little bit of fun

A lift extra lift needed on some back leaners that were dying, with both rams it can lift 102 tons. With this setup I can daisy chain up to 6 rams total before needing to add oil for 306 tons of lift power.

This log came off the 3rd picture down from the top after 60 feet came off the butt it weighed in at 25k at 40’.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha RMAX 2 XT-R 1000
1,403 Posts
Recently retired... 35 years military.
Those logging pics are darned cool! You guys are monsters!
Enjoy your retirement, we appreciate your service!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm a data modeler for a regional bank. I create and maintain entity relationship diagrams for our databases. Like maps for data. I'm jealous of all the retired guys.

Also did 11 years in the Army National Guard, ending my time with a deployment to Northern Iraq as an artillery section chief but we left the big guns home and ended up doing all sorts of motorized rifleman type missions.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
Just so happens I need fence posts right now. Keep up the good work.
I’d hate to see what a western red cedar fence cost anymore. Most of the stuff I hand fall anymore is oversized and it’s stuff you most likely would never see unless it something truly specialized a lot of it is for big beams, telephone cross arms, or gutters.

101 - 120 of 130 Posts