Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
I work for a small automation company that designs control panels for machinery or entire production lines. This is 99% 480vac or 575vac and 1200 amp main breakers or smaller. I supervise the drawings & panel builds while writing the programs that I load in the PLC's, HMI screens, and variable frequency drives. I might work in the office for a month or more before travelling to the end user to commission the machinery. It's the perfect amount of travel now. Earlier in my career it was the inverse.

I have worked all over the United States. I have traveled to Canada (once), Brazil (10+), Mexico (twice), Guatemala (twice), Honduras (once). Brazil is my favorite. All international travel is halted due to Covid. Travel within the US is first class flights only, or driving. Right now I'm in California on a startup for a 750hp filtration system (three 250hp fans) for a recycling facility.
we buy basic panels and then cut/drill/fabricate to fit our needs for that work cell :) I just got done cutting holes in 3 different panel doors for 20" HMI screens

·
Registered
60 Posts
I work for a small automation company that designs control panels for machinery or entire production lines. This is 99% 480vac or 575vac and 1200 amp main breakers or smaller. I supervise the drawings & panel builds while writing the programs that I load in the PLC's, HMI screens, and variable frequency drives. I might work in the office for a month or more before travelling to the end user to commission the machinery. It's the perfect amount of travel now. Earlier in my career it was the inverse.

I have worked all over the United States. I have traveled to Canada (once), Brazil (10+), Mexico (twice), Guatemala (twice), Honduras (once). Brazil is my favorite. All international travel is halted due to Covid. Travel within the US is first class flights only, or driving. Right now I'm in California on a startup for a 750hp filtration system (three 250hp fans) for a recycling facility.
Nice work. I have my own small electrical contracting business. We do small design, procure and construct projects. We have an AB authorized integrator for the bigger projects. We build our own control and motor control panels.

37 kw pump panel.jpg

PLC.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Well there are several here that speak the same language! This is a 1200 amp control panel with three 250hp vfd's for the fans at a recycling facility in California. There is a missing instrument in the top left corner. The three instruments monitor the CFM as the filtration media becomes dirty the fans vary speed to meet the CFM requirement. If methane gas detected exceeds a threshold the system goes from three turnovers of air per hour to four per hour. This is a class II div II hazardous area control panel that we UL rated.

750hp doors closed.jpg

750hp doors open.jpg

·
Registered
600 Posts
I enjoy seeing the industrial electronics. I have an industrial electronics and control engineering degree and interned with an industrial electrician for two years. Unfortunately I ended up getting a job for the government and I get dumber and poorer everyday. I also have a small farm and dabble in diversified livestock. That's were I get my play money. I'm a part time goat roper.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
I am a second line supervisor for the infrastructure systems on the best Air Force base in Alaska. If it runs in pipes, bothers you, or has blinky lights, the people who work for me take care of it. Water distribution, wastewater collection, plumbers, HVAC and boilers, fire suppression systems, pest management, liquid fuels storage and distribution maintenance, and Energy Monitoring and Control Systems.

By trade I grew up in the water treatment/distribution and wastewater treatment/collection field. I'm retired Air Force and will retire from Civil Service next year if I don't have to make payments on that new LE RMAX 1000 that will follow me home in the Spring.

All Shops Logo.PNG

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am an Automation Engineer for a Rolled Aluminum, Aerospace and Transportation company.
I program the PLC’s and HMI whether it is Allen Bradley or Siemens.
I cut my teeth building custom automated machines. Worked my way up and was recruited to work for a major automotive glass company as a corporate engineer. I traveled from plant to plant to figure out machine issues. I spent many years traveling until I realized I was tired of hotels and airports. Quit the job for present one. Work 6am to 2:30pm and I can ride the Wolverine to work, only 12 miles through the woods. Next job will be a Walmart greeter

2019 Wolverine X4 County Blue
Rough Country LED LightBar
Yamaha Glass Windshield w/ wiper
Yamaha soft rear window
Superwinch 4000lb

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
The talent exhibited here is wonderful.
I just modify people. Rough work lol, but somebody has to do it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I am an Automation Engineer for a Rolled Aluminum, Aerospace and Transportation company.
I program the PLC’s and HMI whether it is Allen Bradley or Siemens.
I cut my teeth building custom automated machines. Worked my way up and was recruited to work for a major automotive glass company as a corporate engineer. I traveled from plant to plant to figure out machine issues. I spent many years traveling until I realized I was tired of hotels and airports. Quit the job for present one. Work 6am to 2:30pm and I can ride the Wolverine to work, only 12 miles through the woods. Next job will be a Walmart greeter

2019 Wolverine X4 County Blue
Rough Country LED LightBar
Yamaha Glass Windshield w/ wiper
Yamaha soft rear window
Superwinch 4000lb
Working my way up the ladder too! Started out running assembly equipment, wiggled my way around the company doing various duties from Shipping/receiving, quality, management, and now 'next in line' for what we call a tooling engineer. Basically the guy who designs the assembly equipment, contracts out assembly equipment to various shops, and other fun things.. But in the time being i'm learning everything i can while i'm being 'pimped out' (boss' exact quote lol) to do other duties to help out. Thus the cutting and drilling of control panels, wiring and air line routing on automated cells.

Over the last month i have learned the benefits of good drill bits, good drill taps, tap magic, and a light weight Milwaukee cordless drill.. Today i'm sitting in a t-shirt and basketball shorts pretending to be a machine operator again. The looks you get in the office from everyone is a hoot :D

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
To have job you like to go do = priceless. I worked at a factory for 12 years before becoming a contractor. My Mom summed it up best: if you don’t like the job you’re on wait two weeks and move on to the next client. So true.

I want to come up with something more for Doc T here. Balloons? :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have been TIG welding 43 years. First 17 yrs spent at a company welding and hardfacing Valves for the NAVY mainly used in Submarines. When they closed in 1991 I took what I learned there and started Hibshman Welding and continued doing Mil Spec work for some customers along with custom fabrication. I have been blessed to find an occupation that I enjoy. Life is Good!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Plastic fabricator most my life. Mostly lottery ticket displays and dispensers. Been at this company 3 times, right out of school, went to glass factory 3 years, came back for over 3 years, went to another company 4 years, came back again 21 years. Know the owner pretty well, he sold it to employees several years back, made good stock money, then the elite started ruining it and losing money. Thank goodness we were bought and got paid out.
I have made many items for all the units I have had, (in my spare time).

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
I have been TIG welding 43 years. First 17 yrs spent at a company welding and hardfacing Valves for the NAVY mainly used in Submarines. When they closed in 1991 I took what I learned there and started Hibshman Welding and continued doing Mil Spec work for some customers along with custom fabrication. I have been blessed to find an occupation that I enjoy. Life is Good!
I did a robot welder in PA a while back. I think that was hardfacing??? It was an automated machine that welded beads back to back all across the top of a sheet of steel to use in mines or quarries. I was told the regular steel plates would not hold up like the welds did. Thought this might be what you meant, but not sure. If not - tell me.

It's all so interesting!

·
Registered
686 Posts
To have job you like to go do = priceless. I worked at a factory for 12 years before becoming a contractor. My Mom summed it up best: if you don’t like the job you’re on wait two weeks and move on to the next client. So true.

I want to come up with something more for Doc T here. Balloons? :)
Paul wants to be a post-op assessment executive.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I’m a Nurse Anesthetist aka a professional gas passer :biggrin-new:
I really appreciate what you do. Things go a lot better when patients are still!

41 - 60 of 72 Posts