Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

Engine running hot vrs rhino

9K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  gip 
#1 ·
Just curious to know if anyone else agrees the new wolverine runs hotter than the rhino. First thing that came to my attention after my first few rides with the wolverine the exhaust is cherry red and the fan runs non-stop. Never had any overheating problems yet. Anyone have same issues?

#3 ·
I dont like that people are saying these things are running hot. That was my main reason for getting out of CanAm and into Yamaha. The CanAms I have had all ran hot.

I wonder if a less restrictive exhaust on the Wolverine would help. I would image if the exhaust is getting that hot, the engine is having a hard time getting the exhaust gasses out of the motor.

#5 ·
Yeah, it's made to run lean to appease the emission people. Doesn't really hurt anything as far as I know. Nothing a nice aftermarket exhaust and fuel controller couldn't fix. We do have this thing about cleaning the radiator and make sure it's actually clean.. hehe right WI Rider?

#7 · (Edited)
No kidding! I've never owned a machine that you have to keep the radiator so clean on. Like I've said I rode my grizzly for 3 years prior in the same conditions and kinda half hosed out the radiator a couple times. Wolverine no matter how much you clean it with a garden hose, even til water comes out clear, it will run fine a little while then overheat. I installed a temp gauge on mine. Fan comes on about 206 then shuts off and cools to about 196. So the fan runs a lot unless your constantly pounding in thru water. It doesn't take much dust to get the thing running around 220.

The exhaust runs hot a crap as anyone one here will tell you. If you put a cooler back there make sure you have lots of ice.

Look at the design of the radiator most machines try to seal that off to keep mud out, wolverine leaves it wide open. I do a lot of riding with a Can Am and a Polaris and neither one have to keep their radiator as clean and never have overheating issues.

#6 ·
The reason the fan runs a lot is that the thermostat is sensitive. In my opinion its running more but when it does run its not on as long as my old Rhino or Grizzly, its running more at shorter intervals to keep the motor at a more consistent temperature. I've never had an issue with over heating and the red exhaust is no different than any or all of the machines I've owned, they all get hot and red.

#8 ·
I am not sure how to say it with out being rude. But the wolverine has very few defining qualities that point it to be good in mud. I really don't think it was designed to compete with xmr or highlifter or 1000cc machines. Just like a quad. If your going to play in mud you'll have to make the changes to make the aching run well in it. Keep the radiator up high. Intake up high cvt up high and clean... they do run lean to a apeese emissions. It shouldn't hurt the machine but nothing adding a richer fuel map wouldn't cure. I did this on my 700 grizz as it also ran hot. I ride in and out of alot of water with alot of dusty trails and have never had a rad issue or heat issue.

On a seperated note of keeping the rad clean the radiator genie is a good idea to flush the rad but on top of tat an foaming aircondioner coil cleaner really works well to break down the baked on dirt and it's aluminium safe ... I use it all the time on my rads and they all look brand new

#9 ·
I keep seeing this pop up for you WIrider and I dont know how to reply besides you must be the only guy having this issue, I had my radiator completely caked and riding threw the woods in 100+ humidity in low slow speeds and never had an issue. I also had a grizzly and never had and issue. I seen your video's and I can see how you can get it muddy and then pack it with dust in a hurry but in my expierences so far the Polaris, Kawasaki, and Can Ams all run way hotter than my Wolverine. I do notice heat coming out from around the bed but with my Grizzly cooler nothing gets to the ice, I rode last weekend 2 days straight and never put ice in it.

#10 · (Edited)
From what I've heard yeah I am, which makes me somewhat happy because I know that it's just some things that I need to work through. Like installing a temp gauge so I can monitor the situation better than just a temp light. Also installed mud deflectors down by the a arms and they help a bunch. Do I ride more aggressive and probably put it thru more than a lot of other guys? Probably I guess from the sounds of it. I think the other thing is when we set out to ride we ride a lot, about 80 to 110 miles a day. That's a long time in bad conditions without cleaning. We usually run 3 to 6 machines in a pack so your going to eat a lot of dust throughout the day.

The other part of me being critical is I'm a mechanical engineer and see a few things about this setup that I think the design can be improved upon.

Don't get me wrong I have a lot of fun riding it, turned 800 miles on it last weekend.

#11 ·
From what I've heard yeah I am, which makes me somewhat happy because I know that it's just some things that I need to work through. Like installing a temp gauge so I can monitor the situation better than just a temp light. Also installed mud deflectors down by the a arms and the help a bunch. Do I ride more aggressive and probably put it thru more than a lot of other guys? Probably I guess from the sounds of it. I think the other thing is when we set out to ride we ride a lot, about 80 to 110 miles a day. That's a long time in bad conditions without cleaning. We usually run 3 to 6 machines in a pack so your going to eat a lot of dust throughout the day.

The other part of me being critical is I'm a mechanical engineer and see a few things about this setup that I think the design can be improved upon.

Don't get me wrong I have a lot of fun riding it, turned 800 miles on it last weekend.
I always argue with a guy we ride with. He thinks I'm full of crap but I don't think it's so much the mud that kills the radiator but the water then dust, then water, then dust and so on and so on for an entire day. It creates a cement like coating that seems to get in every nook and cranny or every little radiator fin.

#12 ·
I always argue with a guy we ride with. He thinks I'm full of crap but I don't think it's so much the mud that kills the radiator but the water then dust, then water, then dust and so on and so on for an entire day. It creates a cement like coating that seems to get in every nook and cranny or every little radiator fin.
I would agree with that. The one bigger ride I've been on in mine was a lot of mud due to about 3 straight weeks of rain and my radiator was pretty clean. I know if I cleaned it with a genie, it would probably flush a lot out of there, but we went through a lot that day and there wasn't much noticeable at all in my radiator.

#13 ·
its 104-105 down where i ride. and i ride slow working and what not on deer lease in tall tall grass, mud, swamps, dust, and ive never had a heat issue. but im usually not following anyone, just riding alone. and i don't intentionally put it through deep mud. its all in what you do with it. if mud and water are running through the rad on a bike it is just a matter of time that the cooling effect of the rad will drop. i liken it to this, we have million dollar cat natural gas compressors that go down out here in the gas patch due to the heat, and due to dust being baked onto the radiators on them. Nothing mechanical, no matter what it is or how expensive it is can run when it meets its match, whatever that may be. i don't think the wolverine runs any hotter than any other bike, i don't think heat is an issue. only some like wi_rider have really had what seems to be a problem.. but he seems to be working that out.

#14 ·
I wish all machines came with a temperature gauge, not just a dummy light that's the 1st #1 mod i'd do with any machine that lacks one

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.