Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Not long after I purchased the wolvie, I noticed a little rattle in the rear end at slow speeds. At idle there's no rattle, though I noticed that the engine in the rear - how do I say it - it appears to be designed for it to vibrate and bounce. Best I can describe it.

Anyways, I figured the rattle was normal, but it's starting to bug me. I can't see or hear the rattle at idle, so it's hard to know exactly where it's coming from. It's basically a light, slow "tink tink tink" mid to high pitch type of rattle that would sound similar to tapping together 2 screw drivers.

Anyone else notice this? Is it normal? Or does anyone have any suggestions? Still under warranty, but not sure if it's a serious enough issue to take into the dealer (hour and a half away).

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
That sounds like a heat shield possibly...you have one under the bed above the muffler. It isn't a clicking that changes with ground speed is it? That would be a cv joint failing.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That sounds like a heat shield possibly...you have one under the bed above the muffler. It isn't a clicking that changes with ground speed is it? That would be a cv joint failing.
Thanks for your response!

I don't believe it changes with ground speed. It is very light sounding, almost like chains lightly clinking together, and over 15mph or so, I can't hear it other than maybe occasionally. I'll have to test drive it and see once I'm back out at the farm. It seems from my recollection, once I get up to speed, and the engine quiets down, then I can occasionally hear it, but its not constant. Just on and off.

I noticed it about a week after purchase. Brought it home from the woods, cleaned it up, and that's when I began hearing it.

Would I need to remove the bed to get to the heat shield. And to rule out the heat shield, what would I need to do? Just tighten it?

It does sound like it's coming from the rear just under the bed. It's difficult to pin point, because the sound only appears once I reach 5mph or so.

Unfortunately, I do not have the machine at my house, so it'll be a day or 3 before I get back out to the farm to test drive it. Warranty is up in July, so I have time to get it to the dealer if need be.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just got my Wolverine SE last Friday. Managed to get 260 Km on it over the weekend and I can confirm I have that darn rattling noise! It is at it's loudest between 20 and 30 km/hr and I hear it above that speed but the engine noise drowns most of it out.

Has anyone been able to pinpoint it and have it resolved?

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Just got my Wolverine SE last Friday. Managed to get 260 Km on it over the weekend and I can confirm I have that darn rattling noise! It is at it's loudest between 20 and 30 km/hr and I hear it above that speed but the engine noise drowns most of it out.

Has anyone been able to pinpoint it and have it resolved?

That sound just like mine!

The noise I had was the splined coupler, where the front drive shaft coupled to the output shaft underneath the center console.
Remove the center console, then you can reach the coupler to see if it is tight or moves around and rattles.
When I had the air box out I was able to roll back the rubber boot that covers the splines, and pack it with grease, that got rid of most of the noise.

Reactions: Zing

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got a rattle in mine, it did it ever since it was new. To me it sounds more like a valve rattle or a rod rattle for it will only do it when ur about a cruising speed, you can let off or add throttle and it will go away. It only does it when it is at about a curising where just adding enough power to keep it in motion.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I got a rattle in mine, it did it ever since it was new. To me it sounds more like a valve rattle or a rod rattle for it will only do it when ur about a cruising speed, you can let off or add throttle and it will go away. It only does it when it is at about a curising where just adding enough power to keep it in motion.
Same here noticed it the day I bought it, in dealer parking lot. Exactly as you describe.

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
On all of my Grizzly's and my Wolverine, there was a rattle in the exhaust until it went through a bunch of heat cycles and got carboned up, might be the joints, might be the heat shields, but it did go away.

Reactions: Paul65

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I have notice the same rattle and I believe it it where the seatbelt is attached to the roll bar
Faucet washers or o rings take care of that one!

Reactions: MORSNO

·
Registered
2 Posts
On all of my Grizzly's and my Wolverine, there was a rattle in the exhaust until it went through a bunch of heat cycles and got carboned up, might be the joints, might be the heat shields, but it did go away.
mine did it since my first trip on the trail and still does it, never got worse or any better, just the same as day 1. Sounds like a valve rattle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts