Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
November WOTM Winner!
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got up to our hunting cabin late last night and decided to take the wolverine out for a spin down the road. The roads around here are all that hard packed plowed snow, so almost like ice (people from the north know what I'm talking about). The only thing I didn't like about it was if you were cruising down the road and let completely off the throttle you could feel the back tires pretty much locking up and it would start wiggling like it wanted to spin out. Never really experienced that with my grizzly though. Only thing I can think is by slugging the clutch I increased the engine braking enough to do this? Maybe some of the northern guys can tell me if they've noticed the same thing?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
we have snow here ,but not icy yet,ido notice back end movement at times as backend is always locked up,i sure like the holdback coming down hills with the wolvy compared to the polaris 4/4 system,it would be nice to have turf mode at times.

·
November WOTM Winner!
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it does kinda remind me of an old Polaris explorer my brother had with a solid rear axle

·
Registered
51 Posts
With my KTM dirt bike that is a 4 stroke thumper (over 500cc) and the natural engine braking on that machine is dangerous if you chop the throttle too fast in slick conditions.
Probably better off to ride the brake a bit and stay on the throttle to give more control in the Wolverine..

·
Registered
105 Posts
I drive mine to work every day and our roads are hard packed snow. I haven't noticed mine doing that but I only get up to 30 mph. I know if you try to turn going 20 on the had packed snow you just end up in some ones yard.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
A lot of it is the locked rear end. My cj7 has a welded rear end. It is scary in 2wd on ice. I always drive in 4wd on ice with a locked rear end. Otherwise the front will just "push" wherever the rear end want to take it.

·
November WOTM Winner!
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I drive mine to work every day and our roads are hard packed snow. I haven't noticed mine doing that but I only get up to 30 mph. I know if you try to turn going 20 on the had packed snow you just end up in some ones yard.
At least with mine with the stock tire you can't get much more than 40 and she'll start buzzing the tires and get real squirrelly, even in 4wd

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
my polaris midsize was awful in the snow even in 4/4 because the only time the front end is in is when the back wheel spins on most polaris machines .

·
Registered
103 Posts
I usually give throttle to easy the engine brake in grabbing so much. Just to enough throttle to trick it into not engaging so much seems to work for me.

I'm use to using a engine brake (high and low option) and a drive shaft retarder at work . You want about talk about grabbing you and slowing you down fast…. Hardly go through brake pads anymore.

·
Vendor
771 Posts
Got up to our hunting cabin late last night and decided to take the wolverine out for a spin down the road. The roads around here are all that hard packed plowed snow, so almost like ice (people from the north know what I'm talking about). The only thing I didn't like about it was if you were cruising down the road and let completely off the throttle you could feel the back tires pretty much locking up and it would start wiggling like it wanted to spin out. Never really experienced that with my grizzly though. Only thing I can think is by slugging the clutch I increased the engine braking enough to do this? Maybe some of the northern guys can tell me if they've noticed the same thing?
Slugging doesn't affect it, the one way bearing is doing the engine braking

Todd

·
Registered
72 Posts
Haven't been on ice yet with the Wolverine but pretty used to feathering the throttle & brakes on the grizzly to control any sliding down icy trails.
I know what Trailcutter means with the Polaris, I almost put my friend's new Ranger 570 into a tree last winter because of the crappy 4x4 system. That pretty turned me away of Polaris making my list.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts