Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On very steep hills my wolverine even in low 4x4 will start creeping faster and faster then i have to re-apply the brake to slow it back down. My grizzly would never do that regardless how steep it was. If its just moderately steep it will hold back to 3 to 5 mph in low. From what i read and heard about the wolverine, it was supposed to do the same as the grizzly. My dealers service department said "well all of them have their own quirks". I dont consider it a quirk and will adress it again before my warranty expires if after more hours it doesnt improve. I ride some pretty steep slopes where i live and this is a major deal to me. It does seem to be doing some better after 30 hrs on it but still will let it gradually increase to run away on a steep one. Is there any adjustment on the one way bearing? Anybody else had this or got ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
mine does the same thing,but has to be quite steep before this happens,on some hills it helps to be going slower at the start,these machines probably weigh twice as much or more than your grizzly.

·
Registered
213 Posts
one way bearing has no adjustment, ive replaced one in my rhino before
a simple test was on flat ground put it in a forward gear. push forward and the bearing should grab the crank and try to turn the motor over.
push it backwards and it should free wheel

·
Vendor
771 Posts
On very steep hills my wolverine even in low 4x4 will start creeping faster and faster then i have to re-apply the brake to slow it back down. My grizzly would never do that regardless how steep it was. If its just moderately steep it will hold back to 3 to 5 mph in low. From what i read and heard about the wolverine, it was supposed to do the same as the grizzly. My dealers service department said "well all of them have their own quirks". I dont consider it a quirk and will adress it again before my warranty expires if after more hours it doesnt improve. I ride some pretty steep slopes where i live and this is a major deal to me. It does seem to be doing some better after 30 hrs on it but still will let it gradually increase to run away on a steep one. Is there any adjustment on the one way bearing? Anybody else had this or got ideas? Thanks
Does it increase rpm when it does this? Are you in high range?

Does it return to idle and freewheel?

Todd

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does it increase rpm when it does this? Are you in high range?

Does it return to idle and freewheel?

Todd
Sorry Todd I had not been back to this thread in awhile and didn't see your questions. After riding some steep hills today and not at all satisfied with my engine braking I made some videos and hope to post them tomorrow at work when I have better internet than this crap I have at home. To answer your questions it does increase rpm and starts going faster gradually then at a point its as if there is no engine brake and it does freewheel. However I can slow back down with the brake and it will start engine braking again unless it is a seep hill then it turns loose again gradually. If it's just a moderate hill it will engine brake fine and keep it at 3,4 or 5 mph. I am in low range 4x4. I have also tried it in low range 4x4 with the diff locked. Same thing.

·
Vendor
771 Posts
If it ever free wheels then one way bearing is not working right

But depending on the grade and length of it, it would be plausible for it to speed the engine up and as mentioned is a very heavy machine

What comes to mind is those gravel brake emergency roads in the mountains for diesel 18 wheelers when the steep grade is too steep for the engine brakes on them.

Todd

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
I actually found myself bumping the accelerator on occasion when going down steep grades at Hatfield & McCoy few weeks ago. My riding partner and I have matching Wolverines and we are both very well pleased with how well the engine brake works.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I really can't tell what the problem is. It seems to work fine from what I can see. Have you ever drove a SXS without engine braking? What are your expectations?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Everybody tells me their engine braking keeps them down to 3 to 5 mph. Mine just gets faster. I know these are heavier machines than the grizzly but even in the Wolverine reviews when they first released them I had read in a test from an ATV magazine that they were going down ridiculously steep hills without ever touching the brake. I can't even go down a moderate hill without runaway. Just wanted others input before I ask the dealer service dept.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really can't tell what the problem is. It seems to work fine from what I can see. Have you ever drove a SXS without engine braking? What are your expectations?
I also own a 2015 570 Ranger. They only have engine braking when you give it gas but it does a better job than my wolverine if you aren't afraid to give it gas going down hill which is hard to make yourself do sometimes. I love my Wolverine and wouldn't trade it for 5 Rangers if I couldn't get another one. If it's normal that's fine. If not I want it fixed. It just doesn't seem to engine brake as good as everybody else claims, and no where near what my Grizzly did.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Last video and I'm done. You can see in this one how fast it gets to 10 mph before I hit the brake. The other videos just showed a slower release. Guess I'll be getting a sheave at least.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
It is hard to tell how steep a hill is, but if these hills in your videos are not very steep; then something is not correct.

Mine and the rental unit I tried up at Windrock (both completely stock) with them in 4x4 (without diff. lock) the Wolverine is held back to around 3-5 mph without ever touching the breaks. This is if you start at the top with the engine at an idle speed. If you start at the top at a faster speed then the engine braking doesn't kick in and hold back as much as starting at an engine idle until you slow down and then start coasting from a crawling speed.

·
Engineer
1,807 Posts
You can add more weight to your wet clutch. This will allow it to engage at slightly less engine speed and with a tighter lockup. Don't go over 9 grams and you may have to set your idle slightly lower.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
with my ranger midsize I used to do the two step putting one foot on the brake and the other on the throttle to come down steep hills,with the wolverine I agree with papaskeeta it seems to make a difference on how fast you hit the steep slopes and if the brake is working at the top of the slope it will hold you back,the best machine I had for holding back was my Kubota 900 with hydraulic drive,you never had to brake down any slope.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I had a 2009 rzr that had factory engine braking, it kept the machine from free wheeling down the hill (opposite of a stick shift car when you push clutch in) . But by the time I was at the bottom my speed was high , maybe 20 or 30 in some situations. Without engine braking (friends rzr) he would be at crazy wrecking speeds if he didn't use the brakes hard. Engine braking uses engine compression to help hold the machine back. I never heard of engine braking that would or could hold the machine to maximum speed of 3-5 mph.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts