Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered both bumpers from EMP this week and I got to thinking that I saw pics of one on here (FordTruckMan maybe) that has the tabs with shackles on the front of the bumper, but the pics on their website don't show those. If someone does have one like that, was that a custom addition or a change they made after the original and just didn't update the pics on their site?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nevermind, my front bumper showed up this morning and it does have those tabs...

Reactions: atkbike

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
nice to know. when you get it on could you let me know how far it sticks out. please. i don't have much more room in my garage.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
It does stick out a few inches farther than the stock one. I didn't have a good up close pic of how far the old bumper stuck out and already had it off when I saw your post (the last pic is the best one I could find with the stock setup). Just a note to anyone with the Yamaha Warn winch mount, I had to have the back upright part cut off because it was hitting the plastic and not letting the bumper line up.

12509389_10103635573842794_4931618649229802381_n.jpg 12509309_10103635573877724_8715113008150244697_n.jpg 12508856_10103635573947584_2991879557533935118_n.jpg 12540931_10103635573992494_5275737092330840660_n.jpg image.jpg

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
Looks good. Wonder why they didn't leave the winch mount low and just put the fairlead mount in the skid plate portion of the bumper?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With it down there, it would be pretty tough to get to the knob on the side to switch it to freespool. Plus, it might end up being a little better up higher like that. If you're buried in the mud, you won't have to reach down under the water and mud to get to your winch.

Reactions: atkbike

·
Registered
71 Posts
Do you think that it will put added stress on the frame being so high above the strongest part of the frame? What size winch did you put on it?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
3500 winch

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm guessing that you have had no issues so far?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm guessing that you have had no issues so far?
Nope, but I haven't had to use my winch at all from either position. I don't foresee any problems though because that thing is built sturdy and mounted solid.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ok thanks. I know it looks strong. I'm wondering if it is too strong for the frame. Maybe someone else has used their winch that could comment. I think i'll order one anyway because I like the look.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ok, so I bought the EMP front bumper and installed it. Looks good but I'm concerned about clearance between the front tires when fully turned. It looks to be only about 2 inches clearance and I'm only running 26.5" pit bull rockers. Has anyone had issues with this? I've ordered a 2" lift kit so that should help a bit.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Here is my setup so far

Attachments

Reactions: All out

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, so I bought the EMP front bumper and installed it. Looks good but I'm concerned about clearance between the front tires when fully turned. It looks to be only about 2 inches clearance and I'm only running 26.5" pit bull rockers. Has anyone had issues with this? I've ordered a 2" lift kit so that should help a bit.
No issues with rubbing here. I know they used FTM's machine to work off of and he's running 28s (not sure if he had them on there when they had it though)

·
Registered
82 Posts
I know this is about the front bumper, but I really like those rims!!!!!! I still have the stock ones on mine and was not going to really change them but looking at your rims :cool:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I changed my rims as well and I'm happy with the look but the offset(5+3) makes the wheels stick out considerably more. I'm not sure if they make rims that are exactly the same as stock

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
My machine was still at stock ride height, but had 28x10x12's on it for the design process. They did actually have to trim some metal out of the inside corner of the bumper to provide clearance, because at full compression and full lock it barely rubbed. You should be absolutely clear with the tires you have on there, but lift kits are always good LOL. I have the 3.5" on mine now and would absolutely never go back to stock. It's not even the same machine any more after the lift-SO MUCH BETTER!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was afraid that the 3 1/2" lift would be too much strain on the axles so I ordered the 2". I think I will be happy with 2. I can't see me bottoming out. I rarely bottom now as it is

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
2" is better than no lift, that's for sure. But these lift's do not actually increase the maximum angle that the axle travels, they only offset the starting point of the travel. So, the axles will not ever see any more severe of an angle than they would have stock, but they will be in the upper end of the axle angle range more frequently than stock. I have not had any issues with axles, only boots, and that is from mud and rocks getting packed in there when going through ridiculous mud holes lol. For what it's worth, I drive with my foot to floor more often then not, through some pretty gnarly stuff, and jump steep 15 ft embankments that cause me to land solely on the rear to wheels before the front comes down, and I still have not busted an axle. I honestly would have no concern about the lift kit and axle life.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I changed my rims as well and I'm happy with the look but the offset(5+3) makes the wheels stick out considerably more. I'm not sure if they make rims that are exactly the same as stock
Well here is the update:

On the weekend I installed a 2" lift kit. It looks much better. I was able to reduce my width from 65" to 63" wheel to wheel with the lift. This is a big help in the bush on the tighter trails. Next weekend i am going to make some custom mud flaps that will follow the outer line of the over fender down to the widest part of the bottom plastic piece on the front. I'm going to carve away at a tractor trailer mud flap and cut it to about 6" wide and fasten it with the stock mounting bolt of the plastic guard. I will stack washers behind it so that it will sit nice and flat when fastened. I will take pictures when i'm done. I'm hoping that this would reduce the over spray from the tires by up to 50%. I'll let you know how it goes. Screenshot_2016-08-30-09-09-44.png

1 - 20 of 26 Posts