Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,472 Posts
Would like to know as well. Stock springs seem soft, would like to improve ride.
Did you adjust ride height after the OEM springs break-in?
Generally you get around 1" sag, then you can adjust height back which will stiffen them up again.
Of course you may have to adjust shock settings afterwards to fit your riding style and terrain.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did you adjust ride height after the OEM springs break-in?
Generally you get around 1" sag, then you can adjust height back which will stiffen them up again.
Of course you may have to adjust shock settings afterwards to fit your riding style and terrain.
Yes, tightened up the preload. Seemed to help, but feels like it's still to harsh. Like I'm missing out on the softest part of the suspension.

·
Premium Member
2,472 Posts
...... Stock springs seem soft, would like to improve ride.
Yes, tightened up the preload. Seemed to help, but feels like it's still to harsh. Like I'm missing out on the softest part of the suspension.
Now I'm a little confused. You say springs seem soft, but ride is still harsh?

Are you bottoming out the shocks?

I have a thread on shock adjustments, have you tried different settings? Link
I need to update it as I have since adjusted rebound.

I have mine dialed in and the ride couldn't be better.
Tires and air pressure play a big roll also.
My buddy's wife complains about their Honda Talon, but we ride the same trail and my wife & I don't even think about it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Now I'm a little confused. You say springs seem soft, but ride is still harsh?

Are you bottoming out the shocks?

I have a thread on shock adjustments, have you tried different settings? Link
I need to update it as I have since adjusted rebound.

I have mine dialed in and the ride couldn't be better.
Tires and air pressure play a big roll also.
My buddy's wife complains about their Honda Talon, but we ride the same trail and my wife & I don't even think about it.
Satisfied with ride on the rocks, but when coming across a small G out or small whoops its ruff. Just feel if the spring rate was stiffer it would ride higher in the stroke of the suspension. I will change a few clicker settings next ride. Believe I have compression just about full soft.

·
Premium Member
2,472 Posts
Satisfied with ride on the rocks, but when coming across a small G out or small whoops its ruff. Just feel if the spring rate was stiffer it would ride higher in the stroke of the suspension. I will change a few clicker settings next ride. Believe I have compression just about full soft.
I bottom out @ full soft on the High Speed compression setting on small G's, especially with 2 passengers and some cargo.
If the Rebound is to hard, it will also hold the shock from coming back out.
So for a example, if you have High Speed @ full soft and Rebound @ Hard, the shock gets compressed and stays as it can't recover.

It's a fine line between the 2 shock adjustments to maintain ride on a given terrain and speed.

If Rebound is full soft, especially the rear, it will buck on whoops or jumps.

I don't recall the amount of shock travel we actually have, but it's not as much as most of us think.
That's why it's important to spend time dialing in the cars Fast Speed & Rebound as one affects the other as it relates to the limited shock travel.

·
Premium Member
2022 Rmax Sport
449 Posts
I didn't.
Bringing this back up. Did anyone pursue getting the springs and adaptors for X2 kYB shocks From Summit or one of the other mentioned places?

TIA
Would be a fun project. Too many other projects that are more important. I sent JBS a couple of emails asking if they would sell just the spacers but got no reply. Might just end up buying some fox shocks.

On went on a riding trip once this year at Red Bird here in Indiana. It's small and we drove around for about 2 hours. In laws went to wildcat in KY and invited us but my wife wasn't feeling well. Planning on going to Windrock this coming spring or back to HMT.

81 - 86 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.