Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 RMAX1000LE2, 13 Yamaha XTZ1200, 85 RZ350L, 07 KLR650
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In case you were not aware, the oil filter is very easy to access on the RMAX-2 seat models, I don't know about the 4-seat models but you may want to try the same thing if possible. It is only about a 10min job and a few bolts and you even get a chance to wash out the area. Just remove the side panel behind the passenger door and the black inner fender attached to it, Note; You will have to take the passenger seat out first to remove one bolt that is attached to inner fender, make sure to take both panels out together and do not separate them, it is a real pain to pull the tabs out to seperate them, I'll post the pics and you'll see what I'm talking about. Hope this helps.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Tread Rim

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Tire Rim

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Car

·
Registered
52 Posts
I didn’t pull the whole panel assembly out like that, I used youtube videos and got that black panel either loose or disconnected, and from there it was quick.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Reactions: Hahny and AUGDOG

·
Registered
2021 Red-neck Edition RMAX2 XT-R
551 Posts
Who said it had to be "Easy"? I removed the panels together BUT with the following changes for an "Easier" access.
(1) That screw you have to remove from behind the passenger seat I replaced with a M6 clip nut where the screw use to be. (Had to drill out the plastic and plastic weld around the small gaps) then use the same screw from the outside.
(2) Those plastic (WTF) screws I replaced with M6 Body bolts and M6 Rivet nuts. (I hate those plastic screws).
Next time it'll take less than a minute to remove the panels and I don't have to play contortionist to change my oil filter.
Clip nut
Camera accessory Rectangle Cameras & optics Film camera Circle
Rivet Nut
Automotive lighting Household hardware Cylinder Rim Auto part
Body Bolt
Synthetic rubber Carbon Camera accessory Audio equipment Gesture
WTF screw
Aviation Font Aircraft Military aircraft Auto part

I'll do the drivers side next time I'm in that area.
(I took pictures but I have a chitty camera. Friggen thing won't focus. Hope you got the visual.)

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Who said it had to be "Easy"? I removed the panels together BUT with the following changes for an "Easier" access.
(1) That screw you have to remove from behind the passenger seat I replaced with a M6 clip nut where the screw use to be. (Had to drill out the plastic and plastic weld around the small gaps) then use the same screw from the outside.
(2) Those plastic (WTF) screws I replaced with M6 Body bolts and M6 Rivet nuts. (I hate those plastic screws).
Next time it'll take less than a minute to remove the panels and I don't have to play contortionist to change my oil filter.
Clip nut View attachment 98130 Rivet Nut View attachment 98131 Body Bolt View attachment 98132 WTF screw View attachment 98133

I'll do the drivers side next time I'm in that area.
(I took pictures but I have a chitty camera. Friggen thing won't focus. Hope you got the visual.)
GENIUS!

Reactions: DirtRoadWarrior

·
Registered
21 RMAX1000LE2, 13 Yamaha XTZ1200, 85 RZ350L, 07 KLR650
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Like the bed removal idea, I've contemplated doing that myself, Im getting tired of banging my head on that damn thing, looks like a good afternoon project to me.

·
Registered
2021 Red-neck Edition RMAX2 XT-R
551 Posts
Like the bed removal idea, I've contemplated doing that myself, Im getting tired of banging my head on that damn thing, looks like a good afternoon project to me.
You're gonna need some sealed connectors. Drivers side wiring harness has 5 wires and passenger side has 7. I have a street legal kit which gave me 9 wires on each side. Go here for your specific sealed connector needs.

Also, the quick disconnect hinge pins are .500 inches in diameter and 2.75 inches long minimum. McMaster Carr has them but they are pricey. I used this type. Font Bicycle part Pipe Machine Tool

Enjoy working on your RMAX without bonking your head. (y)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts