Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll try to keep it short. Took my wolverine to the dealer a couple weeks ago. Today I talked to the dealer today and he said the piston was shot. I have 600 miles, service was done at 200 at the dealer. When it died the oil was barely on the dipstick. Long story short Yamaha gave no problems and is sending the parts under warranty. My only question, which I hope to be able to ask the Yamaha rep, is they told the dealer that riding on the road for only 1 mile is what caused the problem. He said the motor does not have enough oil to run at high speed for long distance. I was going 30-35 for .9 miles. He also said that they will use some oil and to keep it at the top of the oil level. I can't remember the reason said for this. I don't see how it could use any oil in 400 miles. One of the main questions for the rep is why a wolverine cannot run on the road without breaking but my friends '16 Viking rode the same road, at the same time as mine with no problem. He has rode way more road miles than me, I don't like to have my tires on pavement any. They are taking care of the problem and I am not complaining, but it does not sound right that a short road trip can cause this problem. I had not seen the oil level low before this happened.

·
November WOTM Winner!
883 Posts
I've never had to add any oil to mine between changes and I think he's feed you a line of bull. Seriously 1 mile at 35 mph going to destroy a motor? There would be a whole pile of broken motors on here then. I run down the black top at 35 mph for about 3 miles to get to the off-road trails by me.

·
Registered
98 Posts
IMHO I think what he should have said is with the oil being low running it like that toasted it. I know I will take a lot of flak for this but I think the lean map on the wolverine is an issue. I ordered the pcmv from Hunterworks immediately after buying my SE to help richen the map. If the exhaust is cherry red the motor is way to hot in my opinion and the wolverine stock map is set that way. After installing the pcmv my exhaust is much cooler and the rear diff and bumper are a lot cooler after running the machine. Heat causes breakdown whether it's exhaust manifolds or Pistons.

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
The dealer is feeding you some bull for sure. Even back when my wolvy was still stock, we ran roads all the time. Heck we would drive to the gas station 4 miles one way from my house at least once a week. And I had the pedal to the floor the whole way...Something fishy is going on here. I do not necessarily disagree with heliguy, the lean mapping certainly isn't helping, but at the same time, if the machine is left completely stock I cannot see running at 35mph for even 5 miles causing any damage-unless there is something else going on. There are actually several ways to blow a hole in a piston LOL. Now you didn't say if it was a hole, or the rings were toast, or what, but in theory, it could have been burning oil due to bad rings and finally overheated enough to go kaboom. But they would have been able to see evidence of burning oil, which brings me back to someone is feeding you some bull. I am not aware of a Yamaha rep on here, but it would sure be nice to have one some times.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I ride mine all over the country side on Asphalt and dirt. No issues. Almost 1800 miles on mine. I would say that 1000 of that is on the roads around my house.
I myself have had so really alarming conversations with two different Yamaha dealers.
Not sure any of them know much bout anything.

·
November WOTM Winner!
883 Posts
I ride mine all over the country side on Asphalt and dirt. No issues. Almost 1800 miles on mine. I would say that 1000 of that is on the roads around my house.
I myself have had so really alarming conversations with two different Yamaha dealers.
Not sure any of them know much bout anything.
That's way I feel half the time when I talk to anyone at the dealerships. They try to give you dumb answers (like the one the OP was given) that just don't make sense and I'm like "ok I might not know everything about this thing, but I do have a degree in mechanical engineering so I understand most of this stuff and I feel you're completely wrong." That's when things usually go south lol!

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Every time I talk to someone at the dealer it ends up being a waste of time or turns into and argument. I put all of them (haven't found one I like yet) in the "Used car salesman" category. Most of the time they are just absolutely clueless and just make up stupid answer to try and shut you up. The only time I go to a dealer for anything is to pick up a new machine. After that I'll just fix whatever breaks on my own.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have no doubt the low oil was the problem. The biggest question I have is why did it lose ANY oil in 400 miles, the second oil change is at 1500 miles I believe. At that rate I will change the oil at least 3 times just by refilling it. I will stop by the dealer next week and plan to talk to the person at Yamaha who he talked to.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I want to say again they are fixing it with no arguments. From what he told me the reasons given are from the Yamaha contacts they called when it was brought to the shop. I'm not sure if he talked to the same person both times or not.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have no doubt the low oil was the problem. The biggest question I have is why did it lose ANY oil in 400 miles, the second oil change is at 1500 miles I believe. At that rate I will change the oil at least 3 times just by refilling it. I will stop by the dealer next week and plan to talk to the person at Yamaha who he talked to.
Interesting.

Since it is a closed system it can only be doing two things, I think.

It is either leaking (either dripping or being gassed out) out or being burned.

If you don't have any black spots where you store it, then it must be being burned in the cylinders or getting really hot and gassing out. I would have thought that the oil would have looked really badly scorched though.

Could the crank case be getting so hot that the oil is evaporating out through some type of a PCV type valve?

You haven't had any noticeable loss in power have you like you were losing compression from the rings being shot or smelled burnt oil?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did not notice any power loss, it's parked in the garage and I looked when I got home and no drips, none on the trailer or where I parked at the cabin. The oil was changed at the dealer for the 200 mile service so I assume it was Yamaha oil. When I first got home there was no oil on the dipstick 2 days later when at the dealer it showed just on the tip, but I did not look close at it.

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
Fireman286, a question comes to mind that I don't know if you've answered or not. Since the Dealer changed the oil 400 miles ago had you checked the oil level since that oil change?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I did not check it every ride, but I did check it and the coolant level occasionally, and had not seen it low. It will be checked often from now on, but I had not been too concerned since it was new.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.