Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I made a spare tire mount for the wolvy last weekend. It turned out OK, not quite as good as I hoped, but still very strong and very functional. I have learned through the process that I am not nearly as good at welding on round things(pipe) as I am flat things, like plate steel lol. I'm not very good at welding to begin with, so it was a challenge to say the least.

For materials, I used a 2" ID clamshell clamp set I found on Ebay, some 3/8" plate steel, and a piece of 1.5" NPT Rigid Couduit, bent at 90°. I also found some M12x1.25 bolts to weld in as studs, so I have a spare lug nut at all times too. I likely will throw a few in my toolbox on the machine too.

I used E6011 welding rod for the root passes on the pipe, since it is Galvanized, and I read that welding that material is really difficult with other rods. I was having a hard time with the 6011, so I eventually switched over to 6013 and it got a little easier. But, it was a learning experience, and there is some pride in making it myself.

I used a universal bonding primer from Rust-Oleum that claims it sticks to anything, and it appears to have worked so far. I read that galvanized metal doesn't like most alkyd based primers or paints, which is most aerosols that I am aware of. I painted 3-4 coats of primer, then 3 coats of their professional series black, then 2 coats of their "hammered metal" paint. This paint turned out really cool looking, but absolutely nothing like the hammered metal they say it will look like lol. It doesn't match the cage now, but oh well I can always add more paint later.

IMG_20160326_114129196.jpg IMG_20160326_114137531.jpg IMG_20160326_115800091.jpg IMG_20160326_130156325.jpg IMG_20160326_130202472.jpg IMG_20160326_130212198.jpg IMG_20160326_133204989.jpg IMG_20160326_135422914.jpg IMG_20160326_135536879.jpg IMG_20160326_135654605.jpg IMG_20160326_152520395.jpg IMG_20160326_162248694.jpg IMG_20160326_163643019.jpg IMG_20160327_144809695.jpg IMG_20160329_181112471.jpg
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,241 Posts
Looks pretty damn good to me! Good job!
 

·
July WOTM Winner!
Joined
·
207 Posts
Very nice. I like it.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,796 Posts
Great job fordtruckman! I like that it is not obstructing your rear view when riding.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! I was trying to keep it on the driver's side to keep the rear view clear as MORSNO pointed out. There is space underneath the tire to stuff the recovery straps. I suppose I should post a picture of the jack mount. It is tucked into the recess in the tailgate. I'll take a pic tonight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Looks really good. Good work.

Time is valuable in my book but without considering that what are the materials cost here do you guess?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks really good. Good work.

Time is valuable in my book but without considering that what are the materials cost here do you guess?
The clamp was bought as a 2-pack, for about 45$, so $22.50 for the one I used here.
The conduit was free from work, a scrap piece, but you could likely get a piece from homedepot, no idea on cost.
The 3/8" plate was also free from work, but it can be had for around $1.00/lb at most steel yards. I have a local hardware store that has steel like this and sells it by the pound too.
The bolts were also bought by the pound, $1.68 for 4 of them, I used 2, bought two extra just in case lol.
The lug nut's I had already from when I had my grizzly wheels on this machine, but those can be had for pretty cheap at the dealer, I imagine a $1 a piece at most.
The paint was the most expensive part lol. Each type was around 6-7$ each, so about $20 total.

If you had to pay for everything and had nothing to start, I would say $75 might be a fair estimate. It did take me a long time to do, to be fair. But, since I am not at a job that offers overtime any more, it's not like I could be working and earning money instead. Plus, nobody makes a mount like this for the Wolverine, the closest one is for the viking, and it is not nearly as strong, and would not fit a 28" tire...also cost's like $160-$180 I think. I have enough materials to make an entire second unit, and have vague plans to make a fuel carrier for the opposite side of the bed with it.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here are a few pics of the Jack I am using. It is bungeed in place in the recess of the tailgate. It is a scissor jack used to stabilize rv's, and has a massive 24" lift height with 6500lb capacity. I lagged a pressure treated 2x6 to the base for stability. It comes with the handle, and in a two pack. Here is the one I bought.

IMG_20160331_062226674.jpg IMG_20160330_183526549.jpg
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,796 Posts
Great idea for the jack as lightweight bottle jacks won't have enough lift to them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
just an idea, u said it didn't match your cage, the stuff I fabbed to go on mine like the lightbar mounts and the bumper I built, I went to walmart and bought a can of spray on bedliner $6.97, it covers a lot better than paint and matches roll cage perfect when dries
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top