Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

Dirt Commanders PSI vs Ride vs Ground Clearance

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Dan 
#1 · (Edited)
With my 2020 X2 XT-R, I addressed the awful ride by deleting the sway bars and running 7psi front and rear. I was very pleased with the dramatic difference in ride comfort. I have my doubts that this was the right way to go. As it goes against my normal of assuming I cannot do better than Yamaha engineers and lawyers. Just do what the manual says!
I am trying to get back to the plush ride I had with the 2020 on my 2021 same machine without disconnecting the sway bars.
1st ride I started at factory recommended 14R/12F. Rocky terrain. I lasted maybe 15 mins. Horrible! Jumped out and dropped to 10/9. WORLDS BETTER! Still not quite as nice as the 2020, however.
Today, I wanted to see how much my ground clearance was affected. I picked two points on the frame F/R and measured to the garage floor without moving the machine. Just a tape measure. However, the air gauge is highly accurate.
listed as front psi, rear psi, front GC, rear GC
7,8, 9 3/4,10 11/16
9,10, 10, 10 13/16
11,12, 10 1/8, 10 7/8
12,14, 10 1/8, 11 1/8

After the 20 hour break in, SKELLEY521 has agreed to help me work with the shocks to, hopefully, get me where I want to be. For now, just gonna stay at 10R and 9F.

See less See more
Reactions: Wraith and Jimbo
#4 · (Edited)
Yamaha builds a machine to sell to the masses, that doesn’t mean you can’t alter it to suit your needs.
If you strictly ride off-road I would disconnect swaybars and get off-road tires.
If you ride mostly fire roads and paved, I’d leave the sway bars connected and get tires to suit.

For my type of riding it’s not even close, it’s just flat out better with sway bars disconnected. My machine would rock back and forth on rutted technical climbs that weren’t even that bad. Because of that I’d actually say the machine was more dangerous with swaybars connected. Depends on your riding.

It’s your machine, make it work for you, don’t sell yourself short with arbitrary rules unless they actually add value.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.