Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
Im new to the forum so i will start off by saying ive already found lots of interesting stuff on here and i think its a great thing. On to my topic...I took about a 12 mile ride this morning, mainly road riding and about 8 miles in i started smelling something. I wasnt real concerned because i hadnt saw flames yet lol so i finished my ride. When i got it back in the shop at my place i started investigating and found the problem. Where the shaft comes into the rear differential there is a rubber small rubber boot, im assuming there is a seal and bearing behind it like on a vehicle. The boot had moved forward and oil had spewed onto the under carriage, which explains the smell. I pushed the boot back into place and it seemed to seat back well, however in my opinon the boot should simply be a "dust cover" and oil shouldnt even be able to penetrate this far. I havent checked into it at all but i know it isnt right for a 800 mile sxs. Just wandering if this has been a problem for anyone else.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
Hmm...definitely sounds like the pinion seal leaking from what you describe. I haven't hear anyone with this issue yet. If you are positive that is where the oil is coming from, you should get it fixed under warranty. Just make sure your breather tube didn't overflow or anything silly like that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didnt think to take pics, thanks for the tip tho. I am new to the whole forum thing lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts