Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the difference or the benefit between a 14 inch wheel and a 12 inch wheel is it just the added weight or less I just got a new R Spec and want to change the tires but just don't want to add too much more weight to rob some of the power and I don't think I want to go any taller than 27 inch tire.I am adding a 2"lift to machine as well

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
I believe with a 14" rim the backspacing is less critical. With a 12" the clearance from the brake rotors is pretty tight and if you don't have proper backspacing it will bind. I had found a cheap set from a grizzly I believe. The bolt pattern fit fine but when you tightened them up they would not spin on the fronts.

Also as you get into larger diameter tires you have more sidewall to deal with.

·
November WOTM Winner!
882 Posts
Theres a lot you can play around with in the weight department. Generally a tire will be lighter for a 14" wheel than a 12" just because there is less tire. You will gain some of that weight back by going to a 14" wheel, but sometimes you can overcome that by going from the stock steel to aftermarket aluminum. Pretty much any tire you run will be heavier than the Big horn 2.0's

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yes, depending on what wheel/tire you go with a 27 on a 14 can be more prone to tearing up sidewalls. They also tend to expose more of the wheel bead as well. What type of riding do you do, that should really be the determining factor on what wheel/tire setup you go with.

·
Administrator
2,189 Posts
I've never had a pinch flat with my 14s, maybe I run a little more air. The 14s do open you up to a wider range of tires.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I only want to go up to 27's and ride in the CO rockies. Some trails are really rocky (haha really) so what setup do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Dont mean to hijack the thread guys but since were talking wheels im putting my 27"evos on the oem wheels for now until i can afford new wheels .i have know idea about offset .can i get alloys the same size as the oems ? i dont want to go any wider

1 - 10 of 10 Posts