Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ordered it through the dealer. It is the same as the older X2 & X4 so I would think they are slightly more available. When I ordered mine it was a two week lead time and met that, versus the snowplow mount that is only RMAX and doesn’t have an ETA.
I ended up ordering the X2 Rear Brush Guard (part # B8K-F85E0-V0-00) for my RMAX2 and it fit perfect. Looks like it might set a little closer to the tailgate than yours but there is plenty of clearance for the tailgate to drop.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
You need some kicker type bars way up high for sure!!!
Shit. He mobs that thing. Love it. What he needs is an exoskeleton on that thing.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha RMAX 2 XT-R 1000
970 Posts
Yes indeed, exoskeleton would be awesome!

Reactions: wolvymanx4

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Trail Armor now has full skids and a-arm protectors for the Ramx2. I contacted them and they said Rmax4 parts are in the works as soon as they can get one in to measure. I haven't heard anything back from Factory UTV yet.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Thanks Therbel, I’ll check it out!

Reactions: therebel19

·
Registered
2021 RMax 2 Gray in Nova Scotia
721 Posts

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Much cheaper than OEM and I really didn’t want aluminum A arm guards again. Appears to not wrap around and hold a boat load of mud inside the the guards either.

Reactions: Maggot and Jimbo

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Much cheaper than OEM and I really didn’t want aluminum A arm guards again. Appears to not wrap around and hold a boat load of mud inside the the guards either.
Aluminum sucks, it sticks on everything. UHMW is the best, steel would be next. I haven’t done any damage to any of the a-arms and I have put them to work so I don’t know why anyone needs arm guards.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I like A arm guards not so much for A arm protection but for CV boot protection. Check out the factory UTV a arm guards they had for the X4. Kind of dorky looking but they offer good boot protection.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Aluminum sucks, it sticks on everything. UHMW is the best, steel would be next. I haven’t done any damage to any of the a-arms and I have put them to work so I don’t know why anyone needs arm guards.
I agree aluminum sucks in comparison.

My maiden voyage of 24 miles I already hung a rear a arm up on a boulder.

If you looked at my aluminum a arm guards on my 2016 you would understand why some of us want protection. My A arms would be completely void of paint and dented like crazy!

Reactions: Paul65

·
Premium Member
2021 RMAX2 poly windshield front skid plat and a arm protectors rear brush guard and still stuff on
74 Posts
In the mountains above Tres Ritos, NM. We love the scenery too and fortunately the California wild fire smoke wasn‘t destroying the view on Saturday. It has been hazy a lot this summer from all the smoke.
Im down here in alamo where is tres ritos never heard or it

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I finally had some time to work on this thing. I had ordered a set of SuperATV windows awhile ago, but work and life have gotten in the way. If you don’t know from earlier in the thread, I have chopped the cage so this is a custom install for the windows. On the rear I cut in down 3” to match the cage chop and I think it was too much. I could have done around 1.5” and then the base might have come all the way down to the channel on the cab. On the front, I ended up cutting a little off the top and bottom to keep the Velcro wraps off of the the big cage gusset as much as possible. I also scrapped the side gaskets because I didn’t like how far out it pushed the window. I am not sure why SuperATV made a 90 at the top of the windshield because once I chopped it off I was able to use a short piece of aluminum angle to pin it in with the factory roof. Finally going out again today so I will see how it all works. It snowed a little last night, so having some wind protection should be a big improvement. Here are a few quick pics.

You can see that the hole in the center doesn’t line up anymore but the bonus was that I was able to match drill it and put two bolts through the window. I am not sure if I will need to cover the hole or not. Just leaving it for now. I also had to drill new holes for the z brackets to the left and right of the center x (Barely visible at the top of the bed).

The front, yes there is already a scratch and I am not sure if I did it or if it was already there. I tried to be careful with it and kept the protective film on until mods were complete. Oh well, I am sure it won’t be the last.

The top worked out very nice.

I’ll post an update after today’s ride. Happy trails!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
What a difference when it is cold! There is virtually no air that comes in the cab now. We actually got warm because we were dressed for wind and below freezing temperatures. There is a small amount of air that comes through the hole in the rear window so I will cover that up. As others have noted, it is louder in the cab with the windows. This was especially noticeable at lower speed and deceleration. Higher speeds were about the same. I am also following the transmission thread closely even though I have 375 miles and 34 hrs on mine. The 200 mile failure has me a bit nervous. I have not noticed any strange or new noises coming from the drivetrain and the front differential fix is holding. I have purposely run 4x4 almost solid since the repair to exercise the front drive. It is almost time to decide on the extend warranty Because 6 months is coming up quick.

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
How time flies!
Great Thread, I enjoyed it from start to here, looking forward to hearing more.

Reactions: wolvymanx4

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
You're one hell of an engineer and fabricator. Looks great! Keep up the good work!

·
Premium Member
2021 RMAX2 poly windshield front skid plat and a arm protectors rear brush guard and still stuff on
74 Posts
That looks awesome! Just curious how tall are you? Im 6’2 and some change and dont know that I can spare the room

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think it is in my DNA to ruin millions of R&D dollars from OEMs. I completely worked over my 2014 RXR XP 1000 and I told myself I would wait till the warranty ran out in 6 months before I broke out the welder...well I made it 2 weeks!

I couldn’t stand the seat geometry! Reviews say the RMAX is 90% sport and 10% utility. Well the seat geometry is 90% utility and 10% sport! I went on a rougher rock crawl wash run and found myself constantly sliding out of the seat with the lap belt digging in to keep me in. The seat base is also extremely short when compared to my Super Duty. Not acceptable, time for the cutoff wheel and grinder.

View attachment 89388
RMAX seat at 17”

View attachment 89389
Super Duty at 21”

Modified seat frames with rear tube moved 2” forward and front lock flipped and moved an equivalent amount to get the base out to 19”. Frames were also bent to raise the front an inch for better retention.
View attachment 89390
The next project regarding the seats will require major surgery. I am going to lower everything 2-3” Because the whole seat position is just way too tall for my liking. When I took my RMAX down for the warranty repair I sat in a YXZ and the seat geometry was vastly superior. The cushions appeared to be the same and I like them, which is why I went for the frame mod instead of replacing the entire seat. Scoping out the drive’s side looks like it will be fairly simple. The passenger’s side will require a new gas tank. There is a bunch of wasted space in there too, so I may end up being able to increase the capacity of the tank in the process.

Even more annoying is the total height of this thing. Wouldn’t even fit in my ATC toyhauler so a little bit of rework to the cage was in order. 3” cage chop turned out to be real easy. Major warning here, head clearance to the cage is critical and I am only doing this because I know I will be lowering the seats anyway and I am going to redo the crossbars on the roof for better helmet clearance and strength. For reference, at 6’ tall with my helmet on, I still have ~1.5” of clearance to the crossbar but this is way to close for proper safety.

stock
View attachment 89391
minus 3”
View attachment 89392
ground out the weld on the A pillar cage coupler and cut the same 3” as the rear and down she goes.
View attachment 89393
View attachment 89394
All welded up with the rear upper x-brace cut, coped and burned in to look very close to stock
View attachment 89395
With the full 3” chop, the top of the plastic roof sits at 73.25” and barely clears my happyjack bed in the toyhauler.
View attachment 89396
My girls said it looked a lot less like a golf car too.The original didn’t bother me but I agree that lower does look a lot better.
View attachment 89397
Which model ATC do yo have? I’m considering pulling the trigger on a used 28 FB, it Doesn’t with a happy jack. Don’t really want to void my Yamaha warranty.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts