Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Winch is also converted to rope!
Are those skids available? What brand are they?
Rope is the only logical choice for me. Safety and weight!

The extra skid plates are the Yamaha 3/8” UHMW ones available through the accessory catalog. My last car had 1/2” Factory UTV ones but they aren’t making for the RMAX yet and these looked pretty good. Thinner was ok too because the entire car has steel already. The Polaris did not.

I went back to the log that blocks another trail and got myself stuck playing on it and had to put the winch to work for the first time. Oops. Did a little rail slide. The UHMW changed the way the car slides (much easier) and caused the car to rotate easier instead of going straight. I successfully made it over going uphill then turned around and did the rail slide going down. These were crawl attempts, with a little momentum it probably would have stayed straight.

The log

high centered and stuck

Putting the winch to work

Success

Of course I could have driven around the log or cut it with the chain saw (bark beetle for a reason) but if is fun to see what the RMAX will and won’t navigate. We have had 2 major fires behind the town and downed logs are everywhere. Every big wind storm brings new ones down so clearing or climbing is a regular occurrence.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Well done. I couldn't have tried that and found a different route. Bumper cover is gone and looks like you cracked the front passenger side of the skid plate, just aft of the wheel well.
This is the old road that has a new path next to it so there is no need to go through these. It is kinda like a game to see what the car will do. I wish that was just the XTR bumper with the plastic cover removed. That is a base bumper bolted on the front. I like the matching theme of all tube bumpers (front, rear, and the welded on tree kickers). I don’t think I cracked the skid plate but I will check again when I get back from travel. UHMW is exceedingly tough and slippery. I think it is just a mark where dust/mud was rubbed off. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Looks and sounds like to like to ride like I do. Had some guys in a RZR tell me I was crazy in my X4 climbing a caution trail. Asked them w to follow and they it was a big HELL NO! Need to know what you and your machine are capable of for emergency situations is what I tell my wife.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Rope is the only logical choice for me. Safety and weight!

The extra skid plates are the Yamaha 3/8” UHMW ones available through the accessory catalog. My last car had 1/2” Factory UTV ones but they aren’t making for the RMAX yet and these looked pretty good. Thinner was ok too because the entire car has steel already. The Polaris did not.

I went back to the log that blocks another trail and got myself stuck playing on it and had to put the winch to work for the first time. Oops. Did a little rail slide. The UHMW changed the way the car slides (much easier) and caused the car to rotate easier instead of going straight. I successfully made it over going uphill then turned around and did the rail slide going down. These were crawl attempts, with a little momentum it probably would have stayed straight.

The log
View attachment 89752

high centered and stuck
View attachment 89753

Putting the winch to work
View attachment 89754

Success
View attachment 89755
Of course I could have driven around the log or cut it with the chain saw (bark beetle for a reason) but if is fun to see what the RMAX will and won’t navigate. We have had 2 major fires behind the town and downed logs are everywhere. Every big wind storm brings new ones down so clearing or climbing is a regular occurrence.
Hey Barkbeetle. Where did you get the rear bumper? Just picked up a base edition and can't find a rear bumper anywhere.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Hey Barkbeetle. Where did you get the rear bumper? Just picked up a base edition and can't find a rear bumper anywhere.
Ordered it through the dealer. It is the same as the older X2 & X4 so I would think they are slightly more available. When I ordered mine it was a two week lead time and met that, versus the snowplow mount that is only RMAX and doesn’t have an ETA.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Well I finally got one of my girls to go with me to video an attempt to drive through that massive rut, but I am a newb and can’t figure out how to get it linked. Put it up on Instagram and YouTube though. My daughter also got a bunch of driving in as well and that was the best part.

No cracks or damage to any of the skid plates either. I am not sure what the plastic is in the stock front skid plate but it is holding up pretty well so far. I have considered getting the aluminum adder but aluminum is sticky on stuff so I have held off so far.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha RMAX 2 XT-R 1000
970 Posts
Well I finally got one of my girls to go with me to video an attempt to drive through that massive rut, but I am a newb and can’t figure out how to get it linked. Put it up on Instagram and YouTube though. My daughter also got a bunch of driving in as well and that was the best part.

No cracks or damage to any of the skid plates either. I am not sure what the plastic is in the stock front skid plate but it is holding up pretty well so far. I have considered getting the aluminum adder but aluminum is sticky on stuff so I have held off so far.
For your you tube video, just copy and paste the internet address at the top of your video while it is open to your forum post.

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
2,995 Posts

For future videos, please have them turn their phones sideways.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I almost forgot, I took pictures of the base and XTR bumpers side by side so people can see the difference.

The base is all steel. The XTR is steel with plastic covers and includes mounting provisions for the dual light setup in each hole.

Original front view

With the base bumper, cage chop, lowered seats and winch rope upgrade

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Gorgeous! Yamaha, take note. Lowering the seats really brought it all together. I'd love to see something like that with the 4 seater but the rear seats would be tricky and may not be possible due to clearance of the engine. I still think the cage could be lowered on them some but we have to be careful with head to roof clearance for the rear passengers. I think the front seats could be lowered similar to what you did which would give rear passengers a better view. More plastic fabrication may be needed though because of the rear foot platform.

Thanks for the pic.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Just rolled 300 miles and the RMAX is definitely broke in now...

I can tell you the plastic is black under the stickers and paint. It is also very tough! Ended up sliding further into the hill than I wanted, that’s the way it goes when you try the hard lines. I’ll get some pictures tomorrow after a bath. This isn a trailer queen! Got up to 42 degrees without having any support from the side so dropping everything definitely improved side hill ability. This thing has a proper low range too! It crawls like a champ and no burning belt like the Pooolaris did in these ruts.
151D8452-EF72-46AB-9E00-39D2E109F627.jpeg
2794CA18-FE07-43F6-99CC-D72068EE223C.jpeg
7190CD66-A78A-4AE1-8BEF-F68863EB216D.jpeg
5FDB4A0C-AF38-498A-9E63-5788664C7573.jpeg
51BBA91D-2004-47CC-83BF-BF712FE40221.jpeg
598259D6-CC3D-451A-B001-097168760CD7.jpeg
2CBDA469-2FDE-4F4F-BFCA-EAC0C77D4AF2.jpeg

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,113 Posts
You need some kicker type bars way up high for sure!!!

·
Registered
2021 RMax 2 Gray in Nova Scotia
721 Posts
I applaud your ability to do this the your machine.
Be nice if there were bars to go from the kicker bar to the rear bumper. And a bar from the front bumper around the fender and mount at the frame at the bottom fwd of the door.

41 - 60 of 81 Posts