Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I see many here comment on setting up their machines for cold, wet, muddy climates.

Any out here that use their machines in the hot, rocky, dusty, desert climates mostly (eg Arizona, New Mexico)? If yes, any advice on these items?

• Any tried to remove the doors for more ventilation in summer? Is it worth it (more ventilation, but less safety)?
  • What's the highest you'll let the engine temp get on a hot day climbing a hill in 4L before you call it quits and park it to cool off?
  • Do you run different weight oil in the summer?
  • Anyone tried one of those mods where they mount a radiator fan in the roof blowing down in the driver seat? Does that even make a difference when it's 90+ degrees DRY HEAT in the shade?
  • Favorite product to soak the foam air filter with?
  • Any tires you trust that can take a beating from all the sharp rocks, cactus, thorns? Is it just a matter of going higher-ply?
thanks for sharing. see you all out there.

·
Registered
2019 x4, 28 in bighorns, Hunterworks sheeve kit, perfex 2in lift, 2in rear and 1 in front spacers
25 Posts
We do all our riding in the southern California deserts. Plenty hot during the summer months! But its nice because we can ride in comfortable temps all winter long.

In the summer we ride early in the morning and are done by noon before it gets too hot.

We have only a half front windshield for better airflow. It could also be taken off when really hot.

Gotta have a roof!

Doors are always on for better protection.

Tires we use are the lighter weight maxis big horns. Yep...only 6 ply rated but they have held up perfectly. Only flattened once or twice due to nails when exploring old mining areas.

No other cooling fans for riders although it might help.

Engine temps have never been a problem. Even on steep climbs going slowly. The cooling fan comes on about 205 and it never gets any hotter.

I'm careful not to lug drive train down on steep hills...especially on hotter days. Always go to low range earlier than probably needed to reduce drive train loads.

Take lots of fluids! And drink them. I also carry lots of spare emergency water.

And....I bought my 2019 x4 specifically because of its reliability! Nothing worse than having a breakdown in the middle of the desert with wife and kids on a 115 degree day!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Frequent desert rider here. All good advice given above. The biggest annoyance is dust. The moon dust we have in the high deserts of Utah is relentless stuff that creeps through every nook and cranny. I have been stuffing foam in all the little gaps I find to help out with passenger comfort but it will always find a way in. Be careful with keeping adequate tire pressure to protect against the sharp rocks and keep your emergency tire repair kit well stocked. Emergency water supply is a good idea and if going more than 100 miles on a ride spare fuel is too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts