Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking it up today! Yesterday was our Anniversary and we decided to do some window shopping. Opps, turned into us getting a new SxS. We looked at Rzr's, Tyrex's and so forth but the wolverine looks like it would suit our needs best. Almost 100% trail riding chasing the little one on her Raptor 80 and light farm work.

We are in South Carolina and Carolina Adventure World is 30 minutes from our house :D We will be taking it out Sunday to put it through it's paces for sure.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Woohoo, just got it home and took it out for a few. It's 102 degree's here. Still didn't stop us from putting 3 miles on it already. Have plenty of room in my back yard to work it out some. That's my back yard in the background of the picture. Have to bring it back to the dealer next week to get all the accessories installed. Front/rear grab bards, Warn 3500 pro winch, fender flares, full windshield, trunk box.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First impression, pretty dang quick and the suspension is awesome. Gas it and slide the back end around is a ton of fun. Have a nice hill that I climb with my 4 wheeler. I have to hit it pretty good to get up it with the 4wheeler but the wolverine just climbed it from a stand still with no effort at all. Very impressed with the climbing ability. The CVT whine isn't nearly as bad as some of the video's show. The cam mic's must be sitting right on top of the CVT. Just a quick sprint on a dirt road to 50 was awesome. Not 1000xp awesome but still puts my 300ex to shame.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, seems the grab bar and fender flares are on backorder. Stated fenders should be in July but rear grab bar was on backorder until end of August. LOL, that's one heck of a backorder. Good news is front bar, windshield, winch, trunk box are already in and being put on next week. I could do without the back grab bar for awhile but those fender flares would have been nice.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Put over 60 miles this weekend at Carolina Adventure World. Float like a butterfly and sting like a bee pop'd into my head every time going through rough trails. It's just so effortless to zip around in the woods on this thing. Overall still an amazing machine that does exactly what it supposed to. Took it back to the dealer yesterday to get accessorized. Everything came in but the fender flares.

Still torn on what tire/wheel combo I want to install. Dry right now but it does get very muddy where I ride. It's thick clay mud. Blackwater, Mudlites, Mega Mayhems all have good and bad reviews. Then size comes into play. 26,27,28inch tires. Definitely want a 14inch wheel. I like the handling now and if going taller tires I may lose some of that. Next is what width? 8,9,10's in front and 10,11, 12's in rear? Bah.. they are too expensive to keep trying until I find a set that I like.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I run 28in mud lite xl. 14 wheels, 10 in the front 12 in the rear.. This thing is a beast in mud. Gas it and it has enough power to float across the thicker stuff the the rzr and maverick do. No loss in the handling department, it's just as agile to me.. Maybe under extreme handling conditions, like at a race track you would notice something, but blasting trails, especially slicker, muddy trails they handle better than the smaller stock tires.

Mud lite are also lighter than the other tires you mention, so no noticeable power loss in 28's bonus is additional 1.5 in of ground clearance compared to the factory tires.

Also ride like a radial, super smooth!

I heard mega ride fairly smooth to over about 5-10mph. My friend has 30's on his Viking

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I miss Louisiana. Grew up in Baton Rouge, went to LSU and worked at Exxon every summer :D Rough construction work but hey kept me out of trouble. Dad retired from the Exxon plant there after 35 years. Ended up in South Carolina during my Navy career as a Hospital Corpsman and stayed here. Here's what we do when I go back. Have a picture of your friends viking with 30 mega's? Bet that would be awesome in the mud.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Like those tires on the Viking.

Here's some pictures from CAW last weekend.

Wife chillin' Just noticed on uneven ground it still sits level :D

Me with our 6y/o daughter on her little Yamaha Raptor 80.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Looking good! Have you heard anymore on when the fender flares will be available?
Just picked the Wolverine up from the shop. They said the over fenders came in today!! Only bad thing they just came in and couldn't get them put on this afternoon. Oh well, at least they are here :D Guess Yamaha is catching up on their backorders quick now.

Now have Front/rear grab bars..IE Bumpers, Warn Winch, trunk box and full windshield. It's very nice windshield.. 4 quick releases and it's off. Or you can just take 6 10mm nuts/bolts off and have just a wind deflector. Think I'll run with just run with the wind deflector since it's so hot here. Saw 106 on my thermometer today :(

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just going to wait for the dealer. I could do it myself but it's free so why not. Next on the list is the sheave kit/slug kit from Hunterworks. Then tires and finally a pipe and fuel controller. oh dang, and light bar. Just to much fun customizing :D

·
Registered
718 Posts
Just picked the Wolverine up from the shop. They said the over fenders came in today!! Only bad thing they just came in and couldn't get them put on this afternoon. Oh well, at least they are here :D Guess Yamaha is catching up on their backorders quick now.

Now have Front/rear grab bars..IE Bumpers, Warn Winch, trunk box and full windshield. It's very nice windshield.. 4 quick releases and it's off. Or you can just take 6 10mm nuts/bolts off and have just a wind deflector. Think I'll run with just run with the wind deflector since it's so hot here. Saw 106 on my thermometer today :(
You're doing good then. I claimed mine in early May and ordered the flares, and when I talked to the dealer last week, they said they wouldn't be in till July 14th.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts