Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think the bed on the Wolverine is big enough to use deer hunting . I like everything about it but I wish they put a bigger bed on the machine.

·
Registered
718 Posts
A deer would hang out of the bed, but the capacity is listed at 300 lbs in the bed so it will handle the weight. I've heard of people hauling dressed deer out of the woods with a RZR and that's a much smaller bed.

·
Registered
211 Posts
You could put a deer in there no problem. There are six tie down points on the outside of the bed. There is a recessed area in the tailgate when the legs would fit nicely bent at the knees. Pull in the head towards the ribs and throw a bungee cord over the horns to keep the head down. Good to go.
As far as a tree stand, a climber would be no problem. Ladder stand you would have to creative but it would go with some tie downs.

·
Registered
109 Posts
IMG_7125.JPG IMG_7116.JPG IMG_7127.JPG IMG_7121.JPG IMG_7120.JPG
Fireman, I can't wait to haul some deer in mine. I just had back surgery last week and I can't even drive mine till deer season but I can't wait. Looking forward to the Wolverine/Deer pics thread. Here is a little something I did on mine. These are Kolpin 21535 UTV Rhino Grips. Pull one pin and they come off and leave a base attached to the roll bar that fills the rear dust holes in. I didn't want to buy the cross bar and gun boot attachments so I tried this. I'm working on my Kolpin gun cases to rig up with these somehow too. Sorry for all the pics, just showing options.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Last weekend, I went to the drag races with a buddy. The Wolvie was the tow vehicle. I towed a 2600 pound race car, me and a 250 pound passenger, two sometimes three people piled into the bed. And it never even phased the machine. Still impressed with my Yamaha

·
Registered
388 Posts
I haven't hauled a deer yet obviously but no doubt a white tail will fit in there. Even a big buck oughta fit in there I say that because ive hauled them out on little fourwheeler racks and the bed on this thing is bigger than that so I don't think itll be a prob at all to haul deer out with. I will say at this point I don't know how id pick a good sized deer and get it way up in that bed if im alone. There is a trailer hitch deal made by game winner that looks like it will hold a deer but the tires will throw mud and dirt on it, unless you went real slow.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I haven't hauled a deer yet obviously but no doubt a white tail will fit in there. Even a big buck oughta fit in there I say that because ive hauled them out on little fourwheeler racks and the bed on this thing is bigger than that so I don't think itll be a prob at all to haul deer out with. I will say at this point I don't know how id pick a good sized deer and get it way up in that bed if im alone. There is a trailer hitch deal made by game winner that looks like it will hold a deer but the tires will throw mud and dirt on it, unless you went real slow.
Hey Chief,
Here is what I was thinking if I shot one when I am the only one in the woods.
Drag that big buck underneath a large tree branch that is about 10' up or higher. Back up the wolverine to the deer, and throw the winch cable over the tree branch. Wrap it around the deer and lift him up in the air, then back down in the bed using the winch remote. Might have to throw a jacket over the front bar so the cable does not take the finish off.

·
Registered
575 Posts
My dad would just throw a regular rope over a sturdy limb twice the friction helps hold it, tie it to the trailer hitch and lift the deer Then untie trailer hitch, using the friction from the rope being looped and his weight tie to another tree, back under the deer, undo rope from tree and let it into the bed. Doesn't take long at all, and deer didn't to be lifted that high.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like those ideas on loading the deer, and the gun rack. I looked at the bed today and realized even though it is small it's still bigger than my atv rack and that has worked for years.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I like those ideas on loading the deer, and the gun rack. I looked at the bed today and realized even though it is small it's still bigger than my atv rack and that has worked for years.
Exactly. I think you could even move the tailgate to the front of the bed. Tie it in with straps and leave the legs hanging out the back. And always tie the head up so your buddies can see it better :) And it can save the horns.

·
Registered
388 Posts
might buy a small come-a-long and winch my deer up in there somehow, if you can get the base of the neck of the deer up close to the bottom of the bed and hold it there with a come-a-long the rest oughta be doable.

·
Registered
388 Posts
My dad and I went and put out 6 bags of corn on the deer lease yesterday. We had 6 50lb bags of corn and a good sized ice chest in the bed. It was packed but that is a lot of stuff. The power steering and smoothness of the ride made that small chore a breeze. He drove it some and now he wants one. That dont surprise me as the machine is nimble and very capable and a blast to drive. It will definitely be good for deer hunting. It makes doing little jobs like that much easier than when i was doing it on my honda rancher. that thing would wear you out and not having a bed on it you'd have to strap everything down.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I got an aluminum hitch hauler for mine. Had a 500 lb capacity and you don't have to lift the deer so high...
Good idea i been thinking the same thing i was just thinking it'd probably sling mud on the deer but oh well it may not if you go slow enough. Im thinking about getting one real soon. You got a pic of the one you bought??? What kind?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Good idea i been thinking the same thing i was just thinking it'd probably sling mud on the deer but oh well it may not if you go slow enough. Im thinking about getting one real soon. You got a pic of the one you bought??? What kind?
I just got it and its in the back of my truck. I am away from home all week at work and go home on the weekends. I'll get a picture of it on the Wolverine this weekend and post it. I ordered it on Amazon. I decided to go with the aluminum due to its light weight and having the 500lb capacity. If/when I haul out a deer, I figured I'd just make a deer burrito with a tarp so no mud or anything gets on him during transport.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just got it and its in the back of my truck. I am away from home all week at work and go home on the weekends. I'll get a picture of it on the Wolverine this weekend and post it. I ordered it on Amazon. I decided to go with the aluminum due to its light weight and having the 500lb capacity. If/when I haul out a deer, I figured I'd just make a deer burrito with a tarp so no mud or anything gets on him during transport.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts