Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

Deadwood, South Dakota

4K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  OldSwamper 
#1 ·
We will be spending a week there the first of August, what permits are required to ride the black hills and the roads in that part of the state, we will be seeing Mount Rushmore, what are the other places should we plan on seeing.

Thanks for all the help with this.

#2 ·
#4 ·
Thank you this is the information I was needing, will be

Thank you this is the information I was looking for, we do want to make it to Custer park I will be in touch.

Reactions: MassiveOverkill
#3 ·
We will be spending a week there the first of August, what permits are required to ride the black hills and the roads in that part of the state, we will be seeing Mount Rushmore, what are the other places should we plan on seeing.

Thanks for all the help with this.
We passed through Custer last fall. We had contacted Massive Overkill in advance like you for recommendations. We obtained both street permits for, and trail permits, our Wolverines. I would recommend both. We also went through to the Needles Highway on our Wolverines, and I would strongly recommend it if you have the time. It's quite impressive. We also visited Mount Rushmore and the Badlands on the way back. Both I would label as "Must See" attractions.

Have fun!

#5 ·
Keep in mind that is also getting into the start of the motorcycle rally, its going to be VERY busy. There is a lot of good trail riding in the North Hills between Deadwood and Nemo and is significantly less busy if that's what you are going for.

Pasta Corral, don't let the name deceive you, and places like Sugar Shack in the central hills will let you mingle with tons of other riders as well, both are excellent places to eat.

If you are in the Piedmont area definitely stop to eat at the Slash J, its outstanding and also right by the access to trails up the fire road to Lake Dalton and everywhere else.

#6 ·
the photos I have seen of people rifding in SD are amazing but, my initial research showed that most of the trails are available to machines with a max width of 62". With the RMAX being 64" is there still good trails to explore for our larger machine?

#7 ·
I have yet to find a trail that the Rmax isnt capable of. For those 62/64inch trails they have the green gates that easily accept an Rmax. They are more to prevent the big can am X3 type machines from getting in trouble. I have yet to see any forest service or BLM vehicles out enforcing anything in the north hills at least. Basically they seem to only work to put up and take down gates for the season :)

You would be hard pressed to find trails out here you couldn't do in the Rmax, and there are hundreds, so no lack of options.

#9 ·
The 62" trails are the most fun and the RMAX can EASILY fit on them, but as OldSwamper stated, the Forest service is enforcing the archaic existing rule, BUT I have hope that common sense changes are coming to where at least stance will be measured, and not stupid fender flares or mirrors. Time will tell.

#10 ·
This is EPIC for RMAX owners and the Black Hills (as well as other 64" wide vehicles)

Black Hills National Forest officials have clarified how Off-Highway Vehicle’s (OHV) are to be measured when riders are operating on motorized trails designated 62 inches or less.
For trails designated 62 inches or less on the Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM), the OHV measurement is taken from the outside of one tire to the outside of the opposite tire, measuring the widest tire tread width (front or rear).
“We have had many questions over the past year about how to measure the widest point on the vehicle,” said Ralph Adam, Forest Physical Resource Staff Officer. “Giving riders clear language and a consistent approach should help everyone understand how to measure their machine.”
Defining the method for measuring OHV’s was one of the issues discussed at the OHV summit held last February.

#13 ·
I plan on increasing my spring preload (maybe buy Bandit tender springs) and purchase 6+1 Tusk Teton beadlock wheels, which should bring me into compliance.
Living out there you can justify the cost of modifying your machine. Those of us that may only visit now and then can’t.
I’m already committed to going this year but unless there is change to the restriction I don’t see myself coming back after this summer sadly. Was so looking forward to it. Expectations sadly are way down now. But at least they are they are uniform on measuring machines.

#14 ·
Living out there you can justify the cost of modifying your machine. Those of us that may only visit now and then can’t.
I’m already committed to going this year but unless there is change to the restriction I don’t see myself coming back after this summer sadly. Was so looking forward to it. Expectations sadly are way down now. But at least they are they are uniform on measuring machines.
I agree...costly modifications for an occasional visit are hard to swallow...most other places I have been are 50" or 65" trails.

#15 ·
I'm usually arguing the other side of this but not all the trails are 62" width restricted. For me the most fun ones are the 62" trails. OldSwamper, you have an older X2/X4, you shouldn't have to do anything, but at most increase spring preload if you have stock rims/tires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.