Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
61 - 80 of 102 Posts

Registered
RMAX 2 XT-R
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
I agree that the spray on liners probably wouldn't help a lot. They need something rigid behind them. Kevlar? Go big or go home right? If it flexes though it will still break your plastic

Registered
I agree that the spray on liners probably wouldn't help a lot. They need something rigid behind them. Kevlar? Go big or go home right? If it flexes though it will still break your plastic
Broken plastic can be repaired a stick through your nut sack not good. It鈥檚 the puncture resistance that matters to me.

Registered
Kevlar would have to be engineered for the application. Just because its called Kevlar doesn't mean its bullet resistant or better yet puncture resistant. Look at todays body armor, most of it has a rigid composite or steel plate to protect critical areas.

If you guys want to protect your nuts with off the shelf kevlar, bedliner, or any other flexible product be my guest but my nuts will be behind steel or UHMW.

As others have said the key here is something rigid and slick to allow the object to deflect away. Any flex will trap the object in place focusing all the force on that one spot until something breaks.

Registered
You are probably right but I do believe that if you put a thick coat of rhino lining on it there is no way a stick would go through it that stuff is hard and slippery. Probably as good as the UHMW. UHMW is plastic rhino lining is like plastic he

Registered
UHMW is not just regular old plastic. I don't know how to explain it but I don't think rhino lining is going to cut it. Its designed to protect against abrasion and not punctures. Simple test you can do. Coat some 1/8 plastic with it and then try to drive a nail through it. The nail is going to win.

Registered
I am on team UHMW. Only other material I can think would be appropriate for this application would be steel from an economical standpoint.

Sure rhino lining or some thick rubber mat type material may mitigate a puncture but ultimately a stick is coming through. (I鈥檝e looked at thick rubber mats for horse stalls as a potential material) Only UHMW or steel is going to stop it in my opinion.

What are the boards along a hockey rink made out of??? I would venture to guess a type of UHMW.

Registered
RMAX 2 XT-R
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
I am on team UHMW. Only other material I can think would be appropriate for this application would be steel from an economical standpoint.

Sure rhino lining or some thick rubber mat type material may mitigate a puncture but ultimately a stick is coming through. (I鈥檝e looked at thick rubber mats for horse stalls as a potential material) Only UHMW or steel is going to stop it in my opinion.

What are the boards along a hockey rink made out of??? I would venture to guess a type of UHMW.
They use UHMW at shipping terminals and barge ports. So semi- trucks and huge barge can nuzzle up against them without damaging things. It's some tough stuff. My UHMW skid plate on my RMAX doesn't look very worn at all and it has slid across a rock or two. It's kinda like cutting board material but tougher

Registered
2021 Red-neck Edition RMAX2 XT-R

Registered
Ok then how about Kevlar coatings if it can withstand a bullet surely it could handle a stick
As some already said it would depend on the type of fibers and the resin. Uncured sheets would rip off or make a bigger hole as it was stretched over the stick. It just needs to be something rigid and thick. Steel, aluminium, UHMW, HMW, HDPE, Nylon, Derlin even thick polycarbonate would work. G10 3/8 or thicker maybe awesome for this.

Reactions: Doc T

Registered
RMAX 2 XT-R
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
As some already said it would depend on the type of fibers and the resin. Uncured sheets would rip off or make a bigger hole as it was stretched over the stick. It just needs to be something rigid and thick. Steel, aluminium, UHMW, HMW, HDPE, Nylon, Derlin even thick polycarbonate would work. G10 3/8 or thicker maybe awesome for this.
All great materials for this application. Thanks for the list. I hadn't thought of a few of them....馃憤

Registered
2021 Rmax2 Limited
Man, that's one thing that's always in the back of my mind. I've seen some TERRIFYING pics and stories in the forums and Facebook pages.

We should have the first batch of RMAX front fender guards ready by the 20th. It'll be part number: FAP-Y-RMAX
Checked the website today but still not available.

Reactions: SuperATV

Registered
Use some thin aluminum to cut/bend a pattern and wax it good then lay it up with West Systems G Flex 650 epoxy and Biaxial fiberglass cloth. Pop it off the aluminum and install it with a few bolts and nuts.

Registered
2021 Red-neck Edition RMAX2 XT-R
Question: In which direction do you intend the branch deflection to go? Up through the dash or inward through the center console? Unless you stop the branch from entering the cab, it's coming through somewhere.

Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000 LE
Question: In which direction do you intend the branch deflection to go? Up through the dash or inward through the center console? Unless you stop the branch from entering the cab, it's coming through somewhere.
I would prefer anywhere expect my Nut sack.. 馃槼

Registered
If you can deflect it under the car that would be optimum maybe by bringing the angle out some from shape that is there so there is less flat area down low to catch the end. Of course while maintaining tire clearance is the limiting factor of how much you could do to remove the lower flat area that is catching. Usually what comes in is not at a greater angle than can get under the lower A arms and make contact with the flat areas of the firewall that locks it in and drives it through with the force of the weight and speed of entire car.

Registered
Use some thin aluminum to cut/bend a pattern and wax it good then lay it up with West Systems G Flex 650 epoxy and Biaxial fiberglass cloth. Pop it off the aluminum and install it with a few bolts and nuts.
I like this idea but you are going to need a lot of layers and preferably a way to cure it in a vacuum to get the strength you'd want.

61 - 80 of 102 Posts