Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
RMAX 2 XT-R
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lightening struck twice. A short time after purchasing my RMAX2, I had a small stick (approximately 2" diameter) punch a hole through my floorboard. It cracked the outer plastic and the inner floor liner. I repaired it (heat welded) and thought it was just a fluke that would never happen again. Surprise! This evening while descending slightly rocky blue trail (approximately 6mph) i found another stick. Although it was old and blunt, it easily penitrated both outer and inner layers and was jammed behind my break and in front of my throttle. It forced the throttle to accelerate and the brake was blocked. I am happy to report the throttle limiter worked when the break was slightly depressed and I was able to cut the key off and hit the E- break fast. I was very lucky the trail was not dangerous..... it could have been much worse.
I know this will probably never happen to anyone else but beware! The RMAX has an extremely vulnerable area behind the front wheels. Friends KRX has a thin steel wall in this area.... surprisingly it's pretty marked up from similar situations. YAMAHA will probably not address weakness but I will fabricate some 1/4" uhmw to cover the area. I started to do it the first time but who would have thought lightening would strike twice?
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Wood

Hood Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Bumper

·
Registered
2021 Red-neck Edition RMAX2 XT-R
979 Posts
That is scary. I wonder if it has anything to do with those mud flaps...:unsure:

Reactions: wolvymanx4

·
Registered
979 Posts
Reactions: Madcat and Geo

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
4,498 Posts
This issue goes all the way back to the Gen 1 foot wells & frontal areas. Easily violated by sturdy branches. Shells were available for them by some manufacturer but I don't recall no having bought them. If you have front A-arm guards and under armor as came with mine. You offer a small entrance opportunity as the from will deflect a lot.
Clearly Yamaha has not fortified the front lower firewall area as I am calling it. Safety for passengers is something they need to take more seriously.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Many SXS are vulnerable in that area. You got lucky, some have had it worse even though the gas/brake pedal situation is scary. I can't remember if SATV said they were looking at making something to address this or not.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
4,498 Posts
Ok, one or both these sources have something for those with the machines can confirm. I did some looking and came up with two. Strength on the first (mud busters) is not confirmed but better than as is now.
NOTE: For the 2nd link. Be sure to scroll down to see the additonal offerings is where I saw them!!

I hope this helps you out for those at risk it maybe a must have for those bad trails.

·
Banned
67 Posts
I went through this exact same thing a week after buying the XTR...zero modifications, casually/slowly riding through an open area of forest, and a small limb (maybe 2" diameter x maybe 2' long) kicked-up and knocked my foot off the damned gas-peddle! I made a post about that somewhere...need to go find it. This is going to be a recurring issue, and I promise you that. The question is, how long before it causes someone serious harm? I'm a fabricator by trade, and no question I could fix this, but nearly $27,000 into this machine, I'm wondering why I should have to? Why should ANYONE, have to? Love these machines but, that lame underside protection is going to get someone hurt.

Reactions: Madcat and Tripplec

·
Registered
RMAX 2 XT-R
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Many SXS are vulnerable in that area. You got lucky, some have had it worse even though the gas/brake pedal situation is scary. I can't remember if SATV said they were looking at making something to address this or not.
Ya is such a bad "pocket" for things to get jammed. I'll fab up a stronger piece out of uhmw. Easier to heat and contour to the bends in the area. 2 times in less than a year in the same spot? Bad luck I guess but I'll fix it back right. You can see the previous repair in the picture of the outside..... just above the current stick.
Tire Automotive tire Tread Plant Road surface

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha Rmax 1000 4seater Le
125 Posts
Yamaha should be ashamed at undercarriage without metal to protect the gas and brakes.It just a matter of time until it happens again.I go over sticks all the time.Thanks for heads up.Maybe time to not look the other way and get better protection.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Ya is such a bad "pocket" for things to get jammed. I'll fab up a stronger piece out of uhmw. Easier to heat and contour to the bends in the area. 2 times in less than a year in the same spot? Bad luck I guess but I'll fix it back right. You can see the previous repair in the picture of the outside..... just above the current stick.
Are you OK with me sending these pics to Trail Armor and letting them know we would like a solution?

·
Registered
RMAX 2 XT-R
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are you OK with me sending these pics to Trail Armor and letting them know we would like a solution?
Ya please do. I talked with trail armor in October at the Windrock trade show event about this area of weakness. At the time they had little to no interest. I think the problem with getting company's on board with manufacturing for the RMAX is that the RMAX has such a small market share that is not profitable. It's slowly changing and it will get better. I have their UHMW skid and A-arm guards. I am a huge fan of their products..... worth every penny. I dread getting the floor pan out. The last time it was like delivering a baby ..... by the way.... it was a boy! 😁

·
Registered
979 Posts
Looking at that area, those sticks went through 2 pieces of 1/8" thick plastic. Seems a metal plate would serve better protection...

Reactions: Hickabilly

·
Registered
RMAX 2 XT-R
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
First time it happened in March..... no mud flaps. They're soft rubber. Very flexible.....i can't imagine they had anything to do with it.
By the way.....fabed the mud flaps from 1/4" rubber horse stall matting..... it's awesome. Wouldn't trade it for anything on the market currently..... rigid enough to hold its shape but very flexible unlike 1/8" uhmw or poly-pro. Oh Ya and I have under $50 in it and have left over material for replacements

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha Rmax 1000 4seater Le
125 Posts
Ok, one or both these sources have something for those with the machines can confirm. I did some looking and came up with two. Strength on the first (mud busters) is not confirmed but better than as is now.
NOTE: For the 2nd link. Be sure to scroll down to see the additonal offerings is where I saw them!!

I hope this helps you out for those at risk it maybe a must have for those bad trails.
Bulletliner,pondliner,line-x,bedliner

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
4,498 Posts
Looking at that area, those sticks went through 2 pieces of 1/8" thick plastic. Seems a metal plate would serve better protection...
I wondering how it acquired the angle allowing it to push through without slipping away. Up or down etc
Was the approach of the blunt branch over or through the front a-arms. Shields would help deflecting if so. Most branches are dead wood and blunt, also not hardwood. We have a lot of them in the bush here. However unless driving over fallen trees and small saplings they're not a issue on the trails.

Its a lot of controlled force to go through those layers and making it through the front.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts