Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Multiple failures of boots/CV

Votes: 1 14.3%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, as time goes by I personally have had multiple failures of CV boots and one failure of an actual CV on my 2019 X2. There are also numerous others having the same issue. I believe it's due to Excessive heat in the rear inner CV joints This poll is to help raise awareness of the issue. So if you have had failures please select an option and comment with additional info:

-Conditions
-Which CV
-Miles

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
-First failure front driver side outer CV. High centered in 4 wheel lock. rocking the machine when it broke. 800 or so miles. my fault i was to hard on the machine

-Second Rear passenger inner Boot failure. 1000 miles of trail riding in the summer

-Third Rear passenger inner again right after it was inspected cleaned new boot placed and new greased. trail ridding summer 60 or so miles after last failure.

-Fourth after I took it to the dealer. They inspected both driver and passenger inner rear CV's passenger had complete boot failure and driver was seeping. they said they are in great condition and replaced with CV2 synthetic grease new Yamaha boots and clamps

-Fifth 80 miles after dealer "fixed them" passenger rear inner failed. I gave up and replace all 4 with Demon axles

-Sixth 200 miles on demon and had a boot slip off the passenger rear inner. Very hot to the touch. 1300 miles summer trail ridding

·
Registered
161 Posts
2021 X4 XTR stock suspension, no lift.

At 250 miles/30 hours I had the passenger rear inner boot start seeping liquified molybdenum grease under the large clamp and flinging it all over the frame. Dealer fixed under warranty by pulling the axle and doing an OEM boot kit. They installed the clamp crooked and it leaked again on the next ride. 2nd time they got it right and it has held up for another 350 miles so far.
Heat from both the exhaust header right above it combined with driving in the heat of summer are suspected causes.

Driver side rear inner also seeped a very small amount of grease out 2 rides ago, cleaned it up and am monitoring for excessive heat with an infrared thermometer on rides and signs of more leakage.

Experimenting with a self fabricated heat shield over the final drive as a preventative measure as detailed in the other thread.

If Yamaha engineers are reading this, please consider more heat shielding for the final drive and CV cups. You added nice shields for the rear shock and sway bar bushing already. Thumbs up for those.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I got a pin hole in my rear drivers side CV, it was probably my fault from backing up into brush.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Passenger rear at around 1200 miles. Perfex lift set at 1.5 in rear, installed at 740 miles. It happened on a long ride with sustained speeds of 40ph+, we put on about 350 miles Labor Day weekend in the Upper Peninsula on long flat railroad routes.
I still believe the machine should be able to handle this.
Still waiting on axle and boot to show.
I have fabbed up a proto type CV heat shield and will share it in another thread.

Reactions: SKELLEY521 and B52U
1 - 6 of 6 Posts