Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my oil and when I went to change the fluid in the front diff the drain plug has a little copper washer. The cycle shop didn't have any on hand but the guy said he would order some and oh by the way they're expensive as hell. So my question is have any of you all found another source for stuff like that so I won't get reamed when I need to change the dif oil?

·
Registered
388 Posts
can you not re use them? I mean what is the going answer to that. I would think if its not damaged then there isn't a problem.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Yeah, reused mine. Changed my rear gear oil 4 times. Kept getting water in there. Dang vent hose slid out of it's holders and was laying under the gas tank.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The washer in question is the small copper one for the front dif drain plug. Yeah I've reused them but at some point they need to be replaced and unless I misunderstood the parts guy or looked at it wrong on their screen Yamaha wants almost $12 for that dinky little washer. I figure it's just a way to pump up the bill a little when you take your machine to be serviced and it probably doesn't get noticed much but it's still ridiculous.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I just did a quick search and you can get a 80 pack of assorted sizes for 5 bucks at harbor freight. 12 bucks is an awful lot for one little washer. I'd look online for a assorted pack of washers.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
There are all sizes of copper washers / crush washers on ebay for reasonable prices. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...coppe.TRS1&_nkw=copper+crush+washers&_sacat=0 I generally will use mine 2-3 times before replacing it as long as it still looks good. Just examine them good for cracks, deformities, etc., if your going to be reusing them, and make sure it's not mashed as "flat as a pancake" and still resembles a normal washer. Not unusual for them to have a very slightly raised lip on one side of the outer edge where it may have overlapped the outside edge of the contact service when tightened.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah, reused mine. Changed my rear gear oil 4 times. Kept getting water in there. Dang vent hose slid out of it's holders and was laying under the gas tank.
That's why I always remove vent hoses from front/rear diffs & transmission and put "Rubber Bellows":

RubberBellow.jpg

It helps with clean oil and oil will not go out in case of rollover...

(I use it from BRP part no 705400352, but there are alternatives from ArcticCat etc.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts