Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wasn't real easy, but I think it turned out OK. Matches my Grizzly now with the same black hood. Wife wasn't as impressed as she should be, but she wasn't having beers with me in the garage when I came up with the image.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not sure why two photos downloaded?

·
Registered
718 Posts
That's pretty cool looking. You gonna stop there or try to cover the whole thing black?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd like it all back, but I think I maxed out my vinyl application skills. I have every other sticker taken off also. Not sure why Yamaha needed so many warnings. It seemed to clean it up a lot. That wife did notice:)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was worried that plasti dip wouldn't take the scratches. I'm not very nice to my vehicles....on the outside anyway. I baby them on the inside;)

·
Registered
575 Posts
Plasti dip, needs to be sprayed on in thin coats but it needs to be thick. So 6 light/ medium coats. The thicker it is the easier it is to peel when you want to remove it. Its really durable to me, they use it as dip for tool handles. I've seen motorcycle wheels sprayed with it. The center of my FJ's hood is plastidipped and its been car washed, pressure washed, hand washed and its lasted for almost a year. THICKER IS BETTER...

and yes "That's what she said" lol

·
Registered
367 Posts
Plasti dip will not hold up to branches and rocks. My hood gets beat on by rocks from other guys tires and branches all day long ... I am thinking of getting spray in bed liner done

·
Registered
575 Posts
Plasti dip will not hold up to branches and rocks. My hood gets beat on by rocks from other guys tires and branches all day long ... I am thinking of getting spray in bed liner done
I've had rock chips chip vinyl and the paint under it.. Nothing is perfect.. But if you spray the dip on thick it is very durable... Also the surface prep makes a big difference. Wiping it down with alcohol, or grease remover, letting it dry fully and a bunch of small layers, to make a big layer.. Also it does not have a wait time between coats..

All this said, going through brush, and riding far enough behind where your windshield or you aren't being pummeled by stone's the dip should hold up and protect the surface under nether.

Now if you the a hard stick and hit it head on across the hood...that's a different story.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Never used it but from what I have read on other forums, people think it is pretty durable if sprayed on thick. Bedliner? You can get anything to hold to plastic if you make the surface course enough by sanding it, but I cannot picture what that would look like. Guess it would be good if you were doing a Mad Max theme.

·
Registered
718 Posts
If you're concerned about long term looks, be careful with the bedliner brand you use. I know some brands hold color better than others. I got a Rhino liner sprayed in my truck and it was faded to gray within a year. Love the functionality of the liner, but next time will be getting something other than Rhino to keep the color a little better. I think the bedliner would look pretty sweet though!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Random idea..

What if you tried to wrap it like this. It books like a blue print and you skip the corners, as the outlines stay the factory color.
rnOinzk.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

The chrome purple is vinyl, the Orange is factory paint..

·
Registered
211 Posts
Random idea..

What if you tried to wrap it like this. It books like a blue print and you skip the corners, as the outlines stay the factory color.

The chrome purple is vinyl, the Orange is factory paint..
Looks like something from TRON. The color I was going to use would not look good with the green. I am going to get the nose off of it Saturday after I wash it up and am going to figure out a way to get it done. I had custom decals make that cost like $80 and got a $120 in wrap so I want to get the job done. Like I said, the peaks on each side of the nose, the crown in the middle, and the holes where the cage come through make it impossible to do one piece.

·
Registered
211 Posts
You just need to get a fingernail under it and it peels right up. No residue or pieces left behind. It is amazing stuff cause you can re-apply it as long as you don't dirty up the adhesive side. You can crumple it up like a piece of paper, then put hot air to it and it becomes new again.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts