Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went for a ride in my 2014 Yamaha Wolverine stopped turned off the key and the coolant just flooded out. Not sure where it came from there was no indication that it was hot. It did start back up and put it on the trailer but can’t find where it could’ve leaked. Any suggestions where to look?

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,741 Posts
Do you have the older 4 wheeler? This forum is for the newer SxS models. In any case, your problem is typical of a cooling system with air in it (if you haven't blown a head gasket).

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I assume this is a four wheeler?
This forum is for 2016 and newer side by sides. Maybe someone will be familiar with your machine and help.
Id start by checking the coolant reservoir. It’s common to have the reservoir bottle over flow when they get hot. If the bottle is now empty that would mean it got hot, overflowed and then as the engine cooled it sucked what was in the bottle back out into the system. A clogged radiator, stuck thermostat, or dead radiator fan could all be possible as a cause. If the bottle is clear full, that may mean your radiator cap is faulty which can also cause heating issues. If it’s bad then it likely wouldnt pull the coolant back out of the reservoir into the system. Otherwise check all hoses, connections.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Also when they get very hot and puke, there is a good chance that the thermostat is ruined and it should be checked.

Reactions: Budro2

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have the older 4 wheeler? This forum is for the newer SxS models. In any case, your problem is typical of a cooling system with air in it (if you haven't blown a head gasket).
sorry I meant I have a 2016 yahama Wolverine side by side

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I assume this is a four wheeler?
This forum is for 2016 and newer side by sides. Maybe someone will be familiar with your machine and help.
Id start by checking the coolant reservoir. It’s common to have the reservoir bottle over flow when they get hot. If the bottle is now empty that would mean it got hot, overflowed and then as the engine cooled it sucked what was in the bottle back out into the system. A clogged radiator, stuck thermostat, or dead radiator fan could all be possible as a cause. If the bottle is clear full, that may mean your radiator cap is faulty which can also cause heating issues. If it’s bad then it likely wouldnt pull the coolant back out of the reservoir into the system. Otherwise check all hoses, connections.
Sorry my side by side is a 2016 yahama Wolverine

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Good information. The coolant reservoir was full but Once the side by side cooled it was empty.
Ok, I went through that scenario once myself.
Mine ended up just having dust built up in the radiator. After flushing it out all was good.
There is also a history of fans failing so be sure it is kicking on when it gets to operating temp.
I pulled my thermostat out and checked it at that time by putting it in a pot of water on the stove with a thermometer to see if it opened and closed at the proper temperatures. I forget exactly what they are.
There is also a history of the water pump drive nut backing off and thus you lose circulation so I just cranked it over while the bleed screw by the thermostat housing was open for a second to see if it pumped fluid and it did. You can also test this by removing the radiator cap and seeing if fluid is moving and circulating when you look down inside but the engine has to be up to operating temperature so the thermostat is open, otherwise you won’t see the antifreeze circulating.
Hopefully it’s just a dirty radiator. When your all done be sure to bleed the system and get all the air out. Here is a link to a simple method by Massiveoverkill.

The MassiveOverkill method of bleeding your cooling system

Reactions: MassiveOverkill

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
There is also a history of the water pump drive nut backing off and thus you lose circulation so I just cranked it over while the bleed screw by the thermostat housing was open for a second to see if it pumped fluid and it did.
Not picking on you Bud, but we have to tell the poor soul if he did not already know, that if that nut is loose he not only looses water pump but also the oil pump. So if he rode it for more than 5 or 10 minutes then a good chance then that that is not his problem or it would be locked up or at least making a lot of racket.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
BTW after re-reading this....you need to identify where the water came from, where is it dripping from? There is like eight hose clamps for four hoses IIRC to blow off and water to come pouring out so get it apart and check them all...... plus a little pipe and hose at back of the motor and an o-ring on the water pump end of that pipe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts