Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ever since I've owned the wolverine (July 2016 in Alaska) I've had to add fluid just about every ride. Now it seems to be losing coolant to the ground. What's weird is ill fill it up, it'll run great, and I'll come back to the machine after 3 weeks and all of the fluid will be on the ground. I dropped it off at the dealer, and by now it's been there a week. They have ran it and let it sit but it does not drain. Very confused. My thermostat came on once but that was when the fluid was unexpectedly low.

·
November WOTM Winner!
882 Posts
I think I would have added some dye and checked it with a UV light. Coolant leaks can be hard to find if they leak onto the motor.

Can you smell coolant?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm about to head to the shop now. I noticed my coolant was low so I checked the oil and sure enough....there's coolant in the oil. If you are seeing coolant on the ground though, this shouldn't be your problem but definitely worth a check.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
I'm about to head to the shop now. I noticed my coolant was low so I checked the oil and sure enough....there's coolant in the oil. If you are seeing coolant on the ground though, this shouldn't be your problem but definitely worth a check.
I don't recall who but another member had that issue and it ended up being because there was a vent hose at the water pump pinched off and water was being forced through the seals. Was your oil actually milky or did you just see milky deposit in the dipstick tube? Condensation in the dip tube seems common.

·
Registered
388 Posts
It was my machine that kept losing coolant. Once i figured out it truly was losing a significant amount of coolant I drug it up to the Yamaha dealership. The found a drain/vent line for the water pump/oil pump seals that was pinched, they say. What they told me was since the vent line was pinched it caused a water pump seal failure. So once it failed they say that it couldn't go out the drain/vent line once the seal failed so instead it went through the oil pump seal into the crank case. They replaced a bunch of gaskets and both mechanical seals for the pumps and its been fine since. Coolant level has been constant since then.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I too have noticed since my coolant loss episode a good amount of white thick build up in the tube that the dipstick goes into. I cleaned it out and after riding a few times it came back. Others notice it too on their machines it may just be a characteristic of this particular bike i dunno maybe someone can have some more to say about that. The real test for anyone with a coolant loss problem will be to drain your oil and see what you get when you drain it. If the oil looks good you are good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts