Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
2021 X4 - Super ATV windshield- UTVMA bump seat-
Discussion Starter #1
So today was the 3rd time I've taken out the wolverine, started the day with 111 miles on the clock, the first thing that happened was when I got out of the truck this morning at about 5:45 AM and walked back to the trailer to start the machine it cranked over and fired but didn't start, I cranked it again and sputtered, 3rd time I cranked it and it started, but when I gave it gas It died, then after that it did fine the rest of the day in that department, this has happened every time I've tried to start it in the cold.... next issue is changing between 2wd 4wd and diff lock, it has to be cycled multiple times and I have to switch back and forth to neutral and go into reverse and high and low and so on before it engages or disengages from one or the other, super frustrating and I almost got stuck in between diff lock and 4 high today and had to run around with it beeping and cutting out at 15mph I ended up switching to neutral and shutting the machine off and it still didn't fix it it finally just disengaged diff lock..... next issue is the seat belt, if I take off without it on I can sometimes click it on and it will quit beeping and take off past 15mph, but most of the time I have to click it on then shut the machine off and restart it with it on...wtf... next concern is fuel economy, mine got 35 miles today on half a tank!!!! Granted it was working hard in the snow, but for 70 miles it took me roughly 10 gallons! And the machine felt pretty weak most of the day, and I've been running chevron premium in it since day one, first tank was ethanol free but the last 2 have been just 91 octane, I also was wondering what standard operating temp should be, mine runs 197 to 220 degrees and smells hot 馃敟

Administrator
As soon as you reach first service replace all fluids with synthetic. Replace plugs with NGK Iridiums, and go back to 87 octane (I don't care if it's ethanol free or not). Under your seat is the connector for the seat belt buzzer circuit. Disconnect it and then jumper the pins inside. Stuff aluminum foil inside if you're not electronics isn't your thing and wrap it with electrical tape.

Registered
And your diff lock issue I suspect is operator error. After engaging move a little while turning your steering back and forth. This will help everything get lined up and in sync so actually can engage. It takes a little movement to get it to sync most of the time. Has nothing to do with high, low or which direction it鈥檚 moving! After some practice you鈥檒l find it easy.
Most start working better after more use!

Reactions: Glock10mm

Registered
Yes, diff lock especially when new takes some finesse. Turning the steering wheel left to right a little sometimes helps to. It needs break in as well, I try to use it several times every time I drive it. My RMAX works way better than my Gen 1 ever did.

Reactions: Glock10mm

Premium Member
2020 X2-XTR
As for starting, my 2020XTR X2 has been that way since new. 1st attempt usually stalls. 2nd attempt most times it will also stall but not always, 3rd time she always holds and the computer gets its feedback and makes its adjustments. Then it purrs like a kitten. This is only after sitting and totally at ambient temperature. I never touch the pedals. I only turn the key. I have tried some of the recommendations from my brethren on this forum without effect. To massive鈥檚 point, I just changed to synthetic. The jury is still out however, I think it has had a positive effect. I鈥檒l follow this thread and report back if I think it really did make a difference with the way she starts.
Harry

Registered
Factory plugs are junk get NGKs
Delete you charcoal canister and it will stop stalling
Move your steering wheel when engaging diff lock and run a quality oil like Amsoil.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I'm having the stealership do the first service, im assuming they will use synthetic, yes im assuming the selector is hanging up or something because generally once I start moving around it disengaged, probably just needs broken in like you guys are saying, I think I'll poke around today and find the engine on this thing, I haven't really looked at it, are the plugs easily accessible? Or should I just have the dealer swap them out?

Registered
I wouldn鈥檛 assume the dealership will use a synthetic oil. My bet is they will use regular Yamalube 10w-40 to keep their profit margins high as possible.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldn鈥檛 assume the dealership will use a synthetic oil. My bet is they will use regular Yamalube 10w-40 to keep their profit margins high as possible.
Yea I was hoping for $400+ dollars for an oil change they would use synthetic, but I guess I should clarify.

Registered
Yea I was hoping for $400+ dollars for an oil change they would use synthetic, but I guess I should clarify.
They dont call them Stealerships for nothing. They will just use standard Yamaha crap.

Registered
2020 X2 XT-R 850
On the seat belt thing...I hunt with my rigs, and it's hard enough getting in and out with all my gear on and time consuming enough sometimes to get out of the rig so for some it's definitely worth bypassing the seat belt thing. I just installed a bypass yesterday on mine. I got it on Amazon for $7.95 or so. Unplug the seat belt plug (had to reach in with a wire to grab it from the top, no disassembly required whatsoever other than bottom seat cushion removal), plug in the bypass and done. 100% reversible. No cutting, taping or even wiring. Fast, easy, cheap, Plug and play.

On the synthetic oils...Is it safe to put synthetic fluids throughout (including the engine oil) at the very first oil change or is it recommended to put a few hundred miles on it first? I've read both sides of that story...would like to hear some other opinions.

In my Rhino, I didnt use synthetic, but changed the oil about every 250 miles or so. I see that the change interval is much greater for the Wolverine so i'm interested in going with synthetic if possible. Will Yamaha honor the warranty with Synthetic?...does Yamaha make a synthetic oil that we can use? Thanks in advance.

Registered
It took a good 500+ miles before my diff lock started engaging quickly and easily on my gen 1. I recommend engaging it whenever possible (i.e. poor traction or wheels off the ground), whether you need it or not. It鈥檚 part of my long term break in process on my X2. It gets much smoother over time. Diff lock has saved me from winching multiple times and Yamaha鈥檚 is the best imo.

Administrator
On the seat belt thing...I hunt with my rigs, and it's hard enough getting in and out with all my gear on and time consuming enough sometimes to get out of the rig so for some it's definitely worth bypassing the seat belt thing. I just installed a bypass yesterday on mine. I got it on Amazon for $7.95 or so. Unplug the seat belt plug (had to reach in with a wire to grab it from the top, no disassembly required whatsoever other than bottom seat cushion removal), plug in the bypass and done. 100% reversible. No cutting, taping or even wiring. Fast, easy, cheap, Plug and play.

On the synthetic oils...Is it safe to put synthetic fluids throughout (including the engine oil) at the very first oil change or is it recommended to put a few hundred miles on it first? I've read both sides of that story...would like to hear some other opinions.

In my Rhino, I didnt use synthetic, but changed the oil about every 250 miles or so. I see that the change interval is much greater for the Wolverine so i'm interested in going with synthetic if possible. Will Yamaha honor the warranty with Synthetic?...does Yamaha make a synthetic oil that we can use? Thanks in advance.
Yamaha does make Yamalube Full Synthetic as well as a synthetic oil change kit for the RMAX (which could probably be used in the X2/X4).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts