Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that have mounted a compass on your Wolverine, what did you use and where did you mount it? I've tried a couple of decent compasses and mounted on the steering column cover and seems to pick up interference and not read correctly.
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Now that's old school.......I'd be lost without my GPS

·
Engineer
1,807 Posts
I taught a field geography class in the middle of the desert a few years back and one of the exercises is how to effectively navigate using a compass. I carry one if my gps stops working (and it has before). But I don't mount it so that I can lay it on my topo.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am old school. I learned how to use a compass 47 years ago in boot camp. Still like and use them. I have a GPS that I use some, just wanted to mount a good compass also.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I picked up a cheap compass on a stick down mount at auto zone I believe it was. Its for the dash of a vehicle it works really well actually theres a button on it to give a little bit of light at night and it is removable from the mount if you needed to carry it around. I really don't do much discovery driving but I do use it to help orient my goose spreads in regards to the planned wind directions for the day. Middle of a cornfield in the dark sometimes its hard to know where north is. I stuck mine on the green plastic just to the left of the steering wheel. its held on pretty well through multiple pressure washes, 70mph trailerings, toddlers playing in the cab although they figured out how to remove it so it took me two days to find it, and plenty of rough riding conditions. Im sure someday it will come loose and fall off but its only like 5 bucks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts