Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had three different guys drive the Wolverine in the Rockies. Two were Can Am owners , one Terex.
They all could not believe how well the Wolverine road. Also the other guys get a lot of heat in the cockpit. Mine never really even got warm. The engine Brakeing is the best I've ever seen. Power steering is the only way to go.
We road one of the of the top 3 toughest trails in Colorado called Iron Chest. The first 200 yards is a boulder field the rocks the size of small cars. Skid pan did the job.
The only complaint I have is at high Altitude, the power loss was noticeable.
This was my first trip not an an ATV..
I noticed I was near as tired as l was on King Quad.
Happy with by Wolverine

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
[mine sure gets warm when the fan kicks in UOTE=DJPainter;3352]Had three different guys drive the Wolverine in the Rockies. Two were Can Am owners , one Terex.
They all could not believe how well the Wolverine road. Also the other guys get a lot of heat in the cockpit. Mine never really even got warm. The engine Brakeing is the best I've ever seen. Power steering is the only way to go.
We road one of the of the top 3 toughest trails in Colorado called Iron Chest. The first 200 yards is a boulder field the rocks the size of small cars. Skid pan did the job.
The only complaint I have is at high Altitude, the power loss was noticeable.
This was my first trip not an an ATV..
I noticed I was near as tired as l was on King Quad.
Happy with by Wolverine[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trailcutter... The Can Ams you could cook breakfast on the center console. My shifter got a little warm.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
would be nice if fan was blowing instead of sucking,don't know if a person can prevent heat from coming through shifter.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
DJpainter, at what altitude did you start to see a significant loss of power? Was that with 1 or 2 people in it?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
10,000 feet I noticed it. The other video I posted was 12,000 feet and it was me ....big old boy...and my skinny wife. I had it in low four with diff lock and flat to the floor. I was beginning to wonder if we're were going to make it.. My King quad was the same way on the same climb last fall

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Thanks, On some of our rides in CO we get close to 13,000 ft. , think it would would handle that? The highest I've ever been on my Grizzly 700 is 13,500 and though a huge loss of power it still handled it ok and better than the Honda Rincons and a Polaris Sportsman.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
We've ridden all around: the Alpine Loop, Taylor Park, and Crested Butte areas in CO and in UT all over the Paiute and everything down to Bryce Canyon.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
We've ridden all around: the Alpine Loop, Taylor Park, and Crested Butte areas in CO and in UT all over the Paiute and everything down to Bryce Canyon.
How does Bryce and Paiute trails compare to Taylor area?
We have considered Sand Hollow State park as opposed to Moab for an early spring ride (warmer), any experience there?

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Bryce and Paiute are completely different from Taylor.

At Paiute in some instances you have to ride long open areas on dirt roads to get to the trails in the woods. The trails in the woods are more like some of our trails back here in the East, just at a higher elevation. The dirt roads in Paiute can be terribly dusty, (fine baby powder type of dust) that takes a long time to settle if the wind isn't blowing. We spread out 1/4 mile from each other to not eat the dust. Paiute has some trails that are limited to 50" but in most cases there will be other trails that will take you to the same destination as the 50" trails do, just not through the same places. Overall it is a very small percentage of trails that are restricted to 50".

The Bryce Canyon area is mostly open country type of riding. You can't ride in the park but you can ride roads that look down on the park area where you are looking down on all of the pinnacles. It is a very awesome sight if you've never seen it before.

You can ride from Paiute to Bryce Canyon and stay at Ruby's Inn at Bryce and ride from the motel. From Marysville to Ruby's Inn is roughly 135 miles.

Both Paiute and Bryce are great, just a completely different type of scenery from CO. I don't like the dust at Paiute is my only complaint. For guys that have never ridden out West I usually recommend CO before UT.

Since you live in CO it would be a completely different view for you, that you would probably like, if you like ridding new areas to see new things.

Haven't been to Sand Hollow so I can't comment on that area. I was at Moab in Sept. a few years ago and it was over 100 in the desert. I would not go back there in the summer, early spring or late fall would be ok.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Thanks for the response.
As much as we like Moab, You are right, NO to Moab in the summer! We are thinking about Utah in Feb. but if its real cold we're considering going further south, St George area?
Never ridden that area but saw alot of OHV's on trailers when we visited Zion a few years ago, dont know where they were going.

Never been to Bryce, buts its on the list. Since there are trails around the Park it sounds like it would be worth taking the Wolverine with us.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I know this is an old thread I'm reviving but can any one here recommend some trails in CO? We are trying to plan a trip next July-August 2017 and we can't decide where to go. I've heard good things about the Alpine Loop but I'm afraid we'd see all of it in a day. Taylor Park looks awesome but we'll have our wives and i don't think there's enough stuff to do for them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts