Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My family lives in Arboles Colorado just outside Durango, heading up to Silverton and Ouray area. Engineer pass and than back down through Cinnamon Pass first day than Lake City area the second day.

·
Registered
'21 Max4, Full Poly Windshield, Custom Soft Top, Badlands 5000# Winch,
64 Posts
My family lives in Arboles Colorado just outside Durango, heading up to Silverton and Ouray area. Engineer pass and than back down through Cinnamon Pass first day than Lake City area the second day.
Are those technical trails? Looking to plan a trip out there but not sure where to go or any idea where to start. Wanting more technical stuff over the wide open gravel roads.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not technical at all. There are some good finger draw roads that we take that are more technical, other than that this is more of a scenery ride as Desertdweller67 mentioned. we were hoping it would allow for some aspen colors to be seen but still looks somewhat to warm for that. We go up around Pagosa Springs for some good trail riding and scouting for elk.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Desertdweller and XFlight, do you guys have any knowledge of where some good trails are in Co.? They don't have to be a crazy rock crawl or anything, but an actual "trail" would be nice, if you know what I mean? Any parts of Co. that are better than others for riding? We have done the Black Hills a couple times and we immensely enjoyed it. Looking to try something new next summer-ish.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Desertdweller and XFlight, do you guys have any knowledge of where some good trails are in Co.? They don't have to be a crazy rock crawl or anything, but an actual "trail" would be nice, if you know what I mean? Any parts of Co. that are better than others for riding? We have done the Black Hills a couple times and we immensely enjoyed it. Looking to try something new next summer-ish.
Where to begin.... Taylor Park, Wagon Wheel (near Meeker), Woodland Park (near Colorado Springs), The Uncompaghre Plateau, Del Norte. I would recommend downloading the app "COTREX" This is a GPS map that shows every trail in the state and what is permitted on each trail. The area from Taylor Park going south and west has the largest concentration of trails in the state. Most areas are a mix of roads and trails. These are all listed on cotrex by their Forest Service or BLM numbers. It's helpful to cross reference those numbers online to get a better description of the terrain type and difficulty. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Where to begin.... Taylor Park, Wagon Wheel (near Meeker), Woodland Park (near Colorado Springs), The Uncompaghre Plateau, Del Norte. I would recommend downloading the app "COTREX" This is a GPS map that shows every trail in the state and what is permitted on each trail. The area from Taylor Park going south and west has the largest concentration of trails in the state. Most areas are a mix of roads and trails. These are all listed on cotrex by their Forest Service or BLM numbers. It's helpful to cross reference those numbers online to get a better description of the terrain type and difficulty. Hope it helps.
Thank you. Its a great start.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Thank you. Its a great start.
I imagine you are planning a trip for next year? Keep me in the loop on your plans. Many of these places are up pretty high and access is limited to July through September. The other thing to mention is some of the greatest trails are not really long and not necessarily close to other great rides. If you are interested in meeting up, let me know.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I imagine you are planning a trip for next year? Keep me in the loop on your plans. Many of these places are up pretty high and access is limited to July through September. The other thing to mention is some of the greatest trails are not really long and not necessarily close to other great rides. If you are interested in meeting up, let me know.
Yeah, it would be for 2022 summer season. i was looking around on that COTREX map and did notice a lot of the trails are sporadic and not linked well for the >50" machines. The southwest corner looks about the best for that. it would be nice to ride right out of hotel to trails. fuel stops would be another thing. are the towns mostly ATV/OHV friendly?

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Meeker is going to be the new go to spot for riding. They are boasting 250 miles of trails rideable from town. Lake City would be good for the Alpine Loop, but like Meeker it's not easy to get to. My favorite area is Taylor Park. I would call the Taylor Park Trading Post now to see about reservations for next summer. They were booked full for this year in early June. There is gas available there and there is a restaurant. It is close to Buena Vista if you want to find a grocery store or other restaurants. I know this is common sense but bring cold weather gear. I was in Taylor Park twice this summer in early July and early August. We wore pants the whole time and used the warm clothes and rain gear up high. So to recap, if you want a full service town that you can ride out of Meeker would be my first choice. The riding is really good but you don't get the Alpine riding. Taylor Park is great if the town experience is second to riding. Huge variety of trails and the scenery is first rate.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would also look at Red Feather Lake. Front range near Fort Collins.
Tellurum Creek not sure how it's spelled, near Taylor Colorado.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
I would also look at Red Feather Lake. Front range near Fort Collins.
Tellurum Creek not sure how it's spelled, near Taylor Colorado.

Reactions: therebel19
1 - 20 of 21 Posts