Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
November WOTM Winner!
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever its about 45ºF or so it takes 3 times of cranking in order for mine to stay running on initial start up. Turn the key on wait for pressure to build, it fires dies right away and have to do this 2 more times for it to stay running. I know someone said the dealer told them to key on let it build pressure, key off, then key on build pressure, then start. Tried that several times over the weekend and it still took 3 cranks to stay running. Should mention that it was in the single digits this weekend.

I know this was discussed a little in another thread but wonder if this is just a common thing. Is this maybe a lean condition at startup that a power commander would correct? Or is this just a product of a single cylinder cold? My 13 550 grizzly doesn't do this, was running both of them this weekend.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have to agree on the Grizzly vs the Wolverine.
Grizz starts and runs well regardless of temperature - the Wolvie takes its time to stabilize.
Wondering if it is a different fuel map because of ATV vs UTV and emission standards.
Ski-Doo sleds have to start and run in all types of nasty weather and extreme changes in altitude and they do it well and still get 20mpg from a 160hp engine.

·
Registered
44 Posts
After driving 5-5 1/2 hrs in sub zero windchills back home from appleton where I picked up my rig, my starter wouldn't engage the flywheel....finally had to put a jump pack on the battery today just to put enough juice to the battery so it would turn the motor enough to loosen up the frozen oil....this weather sucks.

·
Engineer
1,807 Posts
For those in super cold areas, I think I can program startup fuel on a timed sensor into the powercommander as an electronic choke. I would have to test time and fuel percentage, but it could be done.

·
Vendor
771 Posts
For those in super cold areas, I think I can program startup fuel on a timed sensor into the powercommander as an electronic choke. I would have to test time and fuel percentage, but it could be done.
If something like that was needed, the PCV has the ability to have two maps and a map switch, one could use one until the vehicle gets warm, flip switch and use other.

I won't lie, I have never done it but it can be done.

Todd

·
November WOTM Winner!
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are too lean, 8% even at startup, 29% midrange. They come with no accel pump configuration and no user controllable interface. I'm surprised they start that cold. So far pcv has tested well.
I wonder if this is a common problem across all makes due to emmisions. My buddy was out ice fishing this weekend in temps around zero and his new (6hrs old) Kawasaki mule wouldn't start and I had to tow him in

·
November WOTM Winner!
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If something like that was needed, the PCV has the ability to have two maps and a map switch, one could use one until the vehicle gets warm, flip switch and use other.

I won't lie, I have never done it but it can be done.

Todd
It's something to think about. If I do a PVC I don't think I'll be doing it til this summer. Wish I would have just done it when I took everything apart and did the sheave last month

·
Registered
388 Posts
mine does this 2 to 3 starts usually gets it going when its cold, it does it when its 30 degrees thats fairly cold here.

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
Al 1 cylinders I have had have always given me a little crap when starting in the cold.
I'll second that. I was a little surprised today when my Wolverine which has been sitting out in a cold shed for a week started right up and warmed up fine.

·
November WOTM Winner!
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Power Commander seems to have solved this issue for now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts