Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In alaska it gets cold, and my wolverine stays outdoors but covered up and it gets ran all year long with maybe a month of downtime at most.

Anyways, it got really cold lately and the wolverine would not start at 0F, it was negative 40F.

The engine was trying to turn over but I could not get a spark.

I pulled my truck up next to my wolverine and hooked up the jump cables and removed the air filters from the wolverine, started the truck and floored the petal. I then floored the petal on the wolverine and started the key, had to hold it for about 8 seconds and it finally shot out some smoke and the engine turned over.

My Kymco and Kodiak and big bear usually start all the time, and Ive never had to do this process for those but I will keep it in mind for future problems, hope this helps!

· Rock Crawler
3,953 Posts
o_O
Next time try leaving the cover over the machine like a tent. Put a propane weed burner underneath it on the ground, not a huge flame and no where near fuel areas of course. All that heat will radiate up. 20-30 min later just fire it up.
Works like a charm.

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
o_O Next time try leaving the cover over the machine like a tent. Put a propane weed burner underneath it on the ground, not a huge flame and no where near fuel areas of course. All that heat will radiate up. 20-30 min later just fire it up. Works like a charm.
I wasn’t sure if the problem was just congealing oil or dirty spark plugs. Buddy told me it sounded flooded so I took his advice. Earlier I had a heater buddy system near the right engine bay behind passenger for an hour.

· Rock Crawler
3,953 Posts
I wasn’t sure if the problem was just congealing oil or dirty spark plugs. Buddy told me it sounded flooded so I took his advice. Earlier I had a heater buddy system near the right engine bay behind passenger for an hour.
Gotta have that heat coming straight up from underneath. If the canopy touches the ground, all the better. Make it a sauna. If the heat source is even the same height as the engine, it all goes up and the main oil source in the pan stays 40 below zero. If the heat isn’t trapped under a canopy, it just disperses. It may have been flooded if it was cranked a lot previously without firing but getting it to fire that cold makes me cringe a little.
I have done this so many times on heavy equipment and old four wheelers etc, where I drained the battery, recharged, hooked up cables, checked spark, fuel etc for hours and in the end if I’d have just warmed it from underneath initially, it would have just fired up like magic.
Not saying you don’t have a different issue, just something to try.

· Registered
266 Posts
Put a trickle charger on your battery for better cold starting. Install a block heater (warms the anti-freeze and block) on one of your coolant lines. Find a place on the engine block or oil reservoir and install a silicone oil pan heater which warms the oil. With all of these installed, you just plug the machine in for an hour or so before you want to start it in the cold. My X2 would start at 10 below, but not at 15 below this winter.

· Registered
2021 Yamaha Wolverine RMAX 2 Limted
93 Posts
In alaska it gets cold, and my wolverine stays outdoors but covered up and it gets ran all year long with maybe a month of downtime at most.

Anyways, it got really cold lately and the wolverine would not start at 0F, it was negative 40F.

The engine was trying to turn over but I could not get a spark.

I pulled my truck up next to my wolverine and hooked up the jump cables and removed the air filters from the wolverine, started the truck and floored the petal. I then floored the petal on the wolverine and started the key, had to hold it for about 8 seconds and it finally shot out some smoke and the engine turned over.

My Kymco and Kodiak and big bear usually start all the time, and Ive never had to do this process for those but I will keep it in mind for future problems, hope this helps!
This helps a ton in cold weather and starting in general.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts