Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I talked with the mechanic at my dealer today and he said he can give me better low end torque by adding different spring and some shims on clutch at a cost of around $50.. Canadian for the parts.

·
Vendor
764 Posts
are you referring to losing torque or speed at top end?
Lose top speed, you are spacing the clutch away from the inside half therefore the belt runs lower then it won't travel as high

Also you have to be careful with the shim, too much and the belt drops down and hits the seal protrusion and cuts it

Click this link for the items we have and there are tech articles on them all

Polaris RZR XP 900, Polaris Ranger 800 - Yamaha Wolverine

Todd

·
Registered
575 Posts
I ran shims on my grizzly. I'd but them off ebay for like $5 shipped. It only took about 20 min to install on the grizz. The benefit is my 550 spent the 28in tires like it did the factory 25's. The top speed did drop. I think its about 2-3mph per millimeter of shim. On a grizzly 1- 1.5mm is normally all you need. So the 550 when from running around 63mph to about 57-58 mph, which was a great trade off as I really don't need to be going 60 on a 4 wheeler, on 28, with a 2in lift lol. The ability to churn the 28's in the muck was well worth the top speed penalty. The wolverine is much more stable at speed. So if I can get the best of both worlds with the sheeve, I'll likely go that route even though is astronomically more expensive than just a $5 shim and a $25 clutch spring.... Even though I suspect the shim and spring will work for someone that's not interested in higher top speed, and only want to replace any lost low end power from adding heavier wheels and tires..

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I ran shims on my grizzly. I'd but them off ebay for like $5 shipped. It only took about 20 min to install on the grizz. The benefit is my 550 spent the 28in tires like it did the factory 25's. The top speed did drop. I think its about 2-3mph per millimeter of shim. On a grizzly 1- 1.5mm is normally all you need. So the 550 when from running around 63mph to about 57-58 mph, which was a great trade off as I really don't need to be going 60 on a 4 wheeler, on 28, with a 2in lift lol. The ability to churn the 28's in the muck was well worth the top speed penalty. The wolverine is much more stable at speed. So if I can get the best of both worlds with the sheeve, I'll likely go that route even though is astronomically more expensive than just a $5 shim and a $25 clutch spring.... Even though I suspect the shim and spring will work for someone that's not interested in higher top speed, and only want to replace any lost low end power from adding heavier wheels and tires..
I'd rather have the low end torque than do over 50 mph as am thinking of putting tracks on this winter,the mechanic said he adds 1,5mm shim also,if you run bigger tires your speedometer is going to show you going slower than you actually are.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I'd rather have the low end torque than do over 50 mph as am thinking of putting tracks on this winter,the mechanic said he adds 1,5mm shim also,if you run bigger tires your speedometer is going to show you going slower than you actually are.
You mean a 1.5mm shim? On a grizzly 550 with the mudlite 1.4 was just right. It was one 1mm and one .4mm shim.. 1.4 total.

I tried 1.7 but it was to much, the lore was so low it wasn't as punchy when I gave it gas, but you could tell it would turn 30's if it needed to.

A lot with grizzly 700 will run 2mm shims, and a spring.. and that's about as far as you want to go safely. Much more shim than that and the belt can drop to low in the sheeve like Todd said.

Now I suspect the Viking and wolverine are the same, so I'd check to she the max shim people are using, 5mm seems very extreme and not possible or safe. Again I haven't researched the shim for the sxs .

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You mean a 1.5mm shim? On a grizzly 550 with the mudlite 1.4 was just right. It was one 1mm and one .4mm shim.. 1.4 total.

I tried 1.7 but it was to much, the lore was so low it wasn't as punchy when I gave it gas, but you could tell it would turn 30's if it needed to.

A lot with grizzly 700 will run 2mm shims, and a spring.. and that's about as far as you want to go safely. Much more shim than that and the belt can drop to low in the sheeve like Todd said.

Now I suspect the Viking and wolverine are the same, so I'd check to she the max shim people are using, 5mm seems very extreme and not possible or safe. Again I haven't researched the shim for the sxs .
looks like I put a quotation mark instead of a period(1.5 mm)

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts

Actually I think part of Yamaha's change with the wolverine was to give it a slightly more aggressive angle on the sheave, which dropped it's low end slightly. I will try to find the article I read that in, but either way if you start on the conservative side with the shims you should be good.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually I think part of Yamaha's change with the wolverine was to give it a slightly more aggressive angle on the sheave, which dropped it's low end slightly. I will try to find the article I read that in, but either way if you start on the conservative side with the shims you should be good.
maybe I won't need to shim it on the wolverine ,the mechanic said the one he did was on a Viking v1 with tracks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts