Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a stock 2021 rmax 1000, 2 seater. When I service the clutch here in a bit. I want to put Wellers 20 gram weights in it. From what I’ve read here it comes stock with 18 gram. I don’t want to loose any more bottom end than I have to just want to lower cab noise some. Will that be enough seems like everyone is jumping strait to 22. Any info from people who have changed the weights. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Have a stock 2021 rmax 1000, 2 seater. When I service the clutch here in a bit. I want to put Wellers 20 gram weights in it. From what I’ve read here it comes stock with 18 gram. I don’t want to loose any more bottom end than I have to just want to lower cab noise some. Will that be enough seems like everyone is jumping strait to 22. Any info from people who have changed the weights. Thanks.
Just did mine with 22g. weights. I don't think going to 20g will do much for you. I really like the 22 gram weights. IMO the difference between 18 and 22 is subtle but noticeable. I also went with the carbon sliders and no grease. Very happy all things considered.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
how is the low end to mid range
My first ride after the service was snowy with technical climbs. I was afraid I would lose a little low end but was really surprised that I didn't. I did notice that there was no lag after hitting the gas from a stand still like there was before. My guess is the carbon sliders help weights hook up faster. Not sure if this right but I am really pleased overall. I didn't notice any difference in the mid range either.. Heading out again Friday to play in the snow again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I dont even have my machine yet but I bought a set of 24 gram weights.
My reasons are I don't need the highest performance and I think the engine will last a bit longer running a little slower rpms. And with the hopes it will be a little quieter. I have also purchased some sound deadening materials.
My intention is to do some noise testing before and after the mods and then posting them.

·
Premium Member
2021 Yamaha RMAX2 1000
46 Posts
After we got desertdweller67's changed, I finally got mine done and like Jim I immediately noticed the quicker lockup from stop; there's no lag time at all. When you hit the gas it LOCKS UP. I also went to the carbon sliders and 22 gram weights for a greaseless set up. I haven't been on an actual ride yet but we're going out Saturday to play in the snow. I haven't noticed noise reduction so much as lower engine rpm's at specific speeds. Overall I like what I've seen so far. This weekend will be a much better evaluation.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I went to 32" terrabites and 22g weights and a tune. There is a little loss in the performance. But overall I think WELL worth it.

Bottom end: I agree it seems to lock up faster and take off with less throttle due to the weights being increased.

I am changing back to my carnivores for my next trip in two weeks. I will post back my thoughts on the stock tire size with the above mentioned changes.

Reactions: MassiveOverkill

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I went to 32" terrabites and 22g weights and a tune. There is a little loss in the performance. But overall I think WELL worth it.

Bottom end: I agree it seems to lock up faster and take off with less throttle due to the weights being increased.

I am changing back to my carnivores for my next trip in two weeks. I will post back my thoughts on the stock tire size with the above mentioned changes.
With 22 gr I definitely feel a big loss in the mid range when running 32s, but I also don’t have a tune. It’s still a worth while trade for my riding style and still has plenty of power for my needs.
With my stock tires it’s very good still with the 22 weights.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Is adding 1mm spacer to increase "gear" ratio a fix for the 32" tire size?
Yes, 32” tires are an 8% loss in gearing, a 1mm shim is over a 15% reduction in gearing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Good to know, so a .5MM shim would be about even in terms of CVT "gearing". Does nothing for final drive, but this is effectively correcting for the taller tire at the transmission so it should work well.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Good to know, so a .5MM shim would be about even in terms of CVT "gearing". Does nothing for final drive, but this is effectively correcting for the taller tire at the transmission so it should work well.
.5mm will be close but still a slight loss.
Personally I’d just do a 1mm. 4% loss in gearing for every 1” of larger tire, however that’s not including the extra weight that has to be turned. My 32” tire wheel combo is 10 pounds heavier than the stock tire and wheel.
.5mm will help but it still won’t feel as good as stock did.
Mine still goes 66 MPH (GPS) with a 1mm shim in. The 1mm shim gets the belt travel to the very bottom of the primary sheave face but not lower.
Ive got 500 miles on mine with it in now and all is good!

·
Registered
26 Posts
.5mm will be close but still a slight loss.
Personally I’d just do a 1mm. 4% loss in gearing for every 1” of larger tire, however that’s not including the extra weight that has to be turned. My 32” tire wheel combo is 10 pounds heavier than the stock tire and wheel.
.5mm will help but it still won’t feel as good as stock did.
Mine still goes 66 MPH (GPS) with a 1mm shim in. The 1mm shim gets the belt travel to the very bottom of the primary sheave face but not lower.
Ive got 500 miles on mine with it in now and all is good!
Where did you procure the 1mm shim?

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I ended up finding mine at a local hardware store in a stainless shim assortment they had.
I also found suppliers on the internet. I believe also that Weller Racing has them. Here is the dimensions of the one I installed. All the shim talk is In this thread.
RMAX2 UTVengineering 24 gram with Carbon Fiber Camplate...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks, good information in that thread. I'm in the learning phase coming from a Talon 4-seater and will see if I think going up in tire size is needed. Sounds like 22gr weights with tinkseal and new sliders at 1,000 miles is a good thing so we'll probably start thereabouts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts