Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings. Getting ready to sell the Wolverine and want to get the belt right for the next owner. I was in KY last weekend and got into a mud hole pretty deep. Belt was acting like it was slipping real bad. Had someone in our group pull me back to camp. We drained what seemed like 10 gallons of muddy water from the drain plug in the housing. Ran it up and down the street very slowly for quite a while. Belt grabs hard like it should but when running it up to about 15 mph, after 15 mph, the RPMs go up but no speed increase.

So... Most machines I have had, you drain the water, burn the water off by revving it, and you are back in business. Want to make it right for the next owner.

Thanks!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need to pull your cvt out and clean it. As for belts go, the Gates C12 belt is less expensive than the OEM belt and has worked great for me for the last 1800 miles open to the elements.
Figured it was something as simple as that. Ultramatic seems a bit different than traditional CVTs so wasn't quite sure.

Thanks!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hunterwork's cvt setup is better for dunking your cvt, no grease and it drains because of no cover plate. May I ask why you are selling your Wolverine?
No problem. Getting a RZR 1000 high lifter. Yamaha is a great little trail machine but isn't cutting it lately with the places and crowd I have been riding with. It's been getting deep and wet or fast and steep.

Last weekend at Rush ATV park there were 6000 people there. I think 90% of them had RZRs. Aftermarket is awesome for them. There is always a dealership around when you break something. I had issues with some of the 800S engineering descisions but none of them on the 1000.

I buy and sell them all the time so I like trying new stuff. I got the Maverick when everyone had RZRs in order to be different but I guess there is a reason everyone has them.

I also heard about how awesome the Yamaha ultramatic is but its the only transmission to let me down. People swamp their RZRs, pull the plug (or open the cover if its an 800) and rev it to get the water out then keep riding. I swamped mine and was done for the weekend.

230 mile wolverine for sale. I will get it serviced and checked out first.

·
Engineer
1,807 Posts
I own both actually, you will find me over in the RzR forums too. The ultramatic cvt is more reliable, but it needs mods. The RzR is no different, even on the New 16 models. I have designed many parts for it. They both have their quirks inside and out, what machine doesn't. The Wolverine needs good snorkeling and a dry clutch for what you are riding in. Definitely has the torque. On the razor, toss the stock clutches and add a duraclutch. It Will give you smooth take off like a Wolverine and save your belts.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I own both actually, you will find me over in the RzR forums too. The ultramatic cvt is more reliable, but it needs mods. The RzR is no different, even on the New 16 models. I have designed many parts for it. They both have their quirks inside and out, what machine doesn't. The Wolverine needs good snorkeling and a dry clutch for what you are riding in. Definitely has the torque. On the razor, toss the stock clutches and add a duraclutch. It Will give you smooth take off like a Wolverine and save your belts.
Good input. I definitely agree that all machines break. None are perfect. I like the simplicity of the wolverine and it will just about go anywhere I point it but its just not quite as aggressive as I need it to be.

·
Vendor
771 Posts
Good input. I definitely agree that all machines break. None are perfect. I like the simplicity of the wolverine and it will just about go anywhere I point it but its just not quite as aggressive as I need it to be.
I have a 16 XP 1000 and it has 5 recalls on it right now and it bangs off the limiter at 55mph from a bade clutch design that we will fix with a clutch kit

I have a wolverine and I love it for what I do with it

Todd

·
Registered
207 Posts
Although I don't have the greaseless weight set up. It would make a lot more sense to have for dunking it. In the mud and blood. I thought about a razor 1000 also before choosing the wolvie. Glade I did. It just seeks like the razor guys in my neighborhood is always working on them. Maybe because of the HP they are just harder on them, but in those massive sand dunes a razor would come in handy. But the price of 25k + out the door is just way to much for one Toy. On my salary.

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
I have a 16 XP 1000 and it has 5 recalls on it right now and it bangs off the limiter at 55mph from a bade clutch design that we will fix with a clutch kit

I have a wolverine and I love it for what I do with it

Todd
LOL and how many of those recalls are for catching on FIRE! I just read something the other day that they are doing a blanket recall on 2013-2016 900 and 1000 models for fuel lines being pinched and catching the machine on fire. Crazyiness. I wish I had more power but I still wouldn't buy a polaris.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
LOL and how many of those recalls are for catching on FIRE! I just read something the other day that they are doing a blanket recall on 2013-2016 900 and 1000 models for fuel lines being pinched and catching the machine on fire. Crazyiness. I wish I had more power but I still wouldn't buy a polaris.
It's a vent tube for the fuel tank and an issue with the installation procedure. Precautionary issue.

Hell. I am a die-hard ford guy and how many ford truck fire recalls have there been? :)

I really like the Wolverine, just wish it was a little less utility and a little more sport. Would be nice to see a Wolverine mud edition with a V-Twin in it. I would totally get the YXZ but I keep reading about transmission issues in them :(. They are more purpose built for the desert though. At least thats how it appears.

Ive owned enough ATVs to realize they all have issues. From this last weekend at Rush in Kentucky its pretty obvious why these polaris break. People were running up the side of hills and getting like 10 feet of air and breaking axles. Pretty wild.

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
It's a vent tube for the fuel tank and an issue with the installation procedure. Precautionary issue.

Hell. I am a die-hard ford guy and how many ford truck fire recalls have there been? :)

I really like the Wolverine, just wish it was a little less utility and a little more sport. Would be nice to see a Wolverine mud edition with a V-Twin in it. I would totally get the YXZ but I keep reading about transmission issues in them :(. The are more purpose built for the desert though. At least thats how it appears.
Ive owned enough ATVs to realize they all have issues. From this last weekend at Rush in Kentucky its pretty obvious why these polaris break. People were running up the side of hills and getting like 10 feet of air and breaking axles. Pretty wild.

LOL yep ford has had some recalls there..for sure...but Polaris has been pretty shy about recalling even when there is an obvious issue. See below.

RZR Fire

Ford Fire

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL yep ford has had some recalls there..for sure...but Polaris has been pretty shy about recalling even when there is an obvious issue. See below.

RZR Fire

Ford Fire
Every polaris dealer I have called said they are waiting on the recall parts. Not sure if they are shy about it. Sure didn't seem like it. I guess we will see!

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
Every polaris dealer I have called said they are waiting on the recall parts. Not sure if they are shy about it. Sure didn't seem like it. I guess we will see!
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I didn't mean they were shy about doing the repair, I meant they were shy about issuing the recalls to begin with. They have had fire issues for years, for various reasons, but their first recall wasn't until may of 2012.

Recalls

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I didn't mean they were shy about doing the repair, I meant they were shy about issuing the recalls to begin with. They have had fire issues for years, for various reasons, but their first recall wasn't until may of 2012.

Recalls
Yeah. Every company is going to have recalls. It's all how they handle it. With a company like Polaris or Ford, that is a leading seller in their market, I'm sure they have to be absolutely sire it's a defect and not something else. There is a lot to deciding when to recall. In the ATV industry, it has to be really hard to make that determination. ATVs get absolutely abused. A machine catching fire is probably no surprise in any event. If someone was trail riding on a damp day, thats one thing. Going 80mph in a 110 degree desert with a cactus sticking out of the radiator is another thing. Same goes with warranty work. I am surprised any ATV company even has a warranty.

"My engine is knocking a bit. You need to give me a new motor."

"My axle broke. Piece of junk."

·
Super Moderator
504 Posts
160 reported problems out of 133,000 vehicles is 1.2 per thousand. Pretty small percentage, but even one is too many.
They are stepping up to do the repairs.
Some of the fires were caused by carrying gasoline in leaky containers in the bed above the exhaust. Some were after collisions or roll overs which could have compromised the fuel system. Some were caused by aftermarket equipment that had been added by the owner. Some were caused by debris buildup on the exhaust. That first picture is a jet powered exhibition rig. This I learned by reading the origins of the first 15 or so pictures in the picture link above.
I saw a picture yesterday of a Can Am burning down.
I expect in the future I will see a picture of a Wolverine burning.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
160 reported problems out of 133,000 vehicles is 1.2 per thousand. Pretty small percentage, but even one is too many.
They are stepping up to do the repairs.
Some of the fires were caused by carrying gasoline in leaky containers in the bed above the exhaust. Some were after collisions or roll overs which could have compromised the fuel system. Some were caused by aftermarket equipment that had been added by the owner. Some were caused by debris buildup on the exhaust. That first picture is a jet powered exhibition rig. This I learned by reading the origins of the first 15 or so pictures in the picture link above.
I saw a picture yesterday of a Can Am burning down.
I expect in the future I will see a picture of a Wolverine burning.
I hear ya. The sheer numbers make it stand out. Like ALL of the iPhone 6 bending.

I also think companies may determine a fix when they know its user error.

Remember the rollover fix for the Rhino? Wheel spacers and 100 stickers that say "don't be an idiot".

·
Registered
207 Posts
So far my wolvie has been a dream machine for the trails and rock climbing/ mud holes. I just don't want shit I have to work on any more and I know with an 100 hp razor that thing would be broke all the time and an broke wallet o boot. If I could afford one, and the extra parts ,and a mechanic . I'd prolly get a RAzor 1000 for sure.im I think the perfect machine would be a cross of the Wolvarine and YXZ. I'm sure that will be the next thing Yamaha turns too

1 - 20 of 24 Posts