Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm very meticulous about cleaning and I thought I was cleaning my radiator very well. Spray it with jet stream from the hose from every different angle. Even opened up the hood to get from the top down. Looked pretty clean. Boy was I wrong. Ordered a radiator genie awhile back.. needed it for my tractor too. It forever gets clogged when bush hogging.

So I go out today and try the radiator genie on the wolverine. Holy cow mud was poring out. Had my little girl watching letting me know when I was hitting mud. Basically, the whole middle must have been clogged up. She kept saying yep, lots of mud coming out. Went from left to right up and down inch by inch then back again. Then a quick once over to make sure she said no more mud coming out the bottom. LOL She's such a good little helper.

So if you notice your fan running more than usual. Get that radiator clean.

·
November WOTM Winner!
878 Posts
I had the same thing looks clean but kept overheating, the dealer and i both looked at it and thought it more than clean enough. You could even stick you hand in there with the fan running and feel air being pulled but cleaned it out with compressed air and man alive did dirt come out. What I found was you should feel the heat come up through the shifter or its probably more plugged than you think.

In my case the dust is a bigger problem than mud. With that radiator so low you ride through water and then it's like a magnet for dust and plugs up.

I just took and air blower and attached a piece of brake line with a 90° bend at the end. But I've been looking at the radiator genie

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the genie is like 80 degree crimped pipe. It really puts out large flow of water... not a tiny little higher pressure spray. Really surprised me how much was left in there after hosing it out many many times with just a hose.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Good to hear. I learned that you use low pressure and lots of water. I pressure washed my old machine and I think it just crammed dirt into all the wrong places and also bent a lot of the fins. Nothing but low pressure for me.

·
Registered
113 Posts
After riding today,gave the wolverine a good bath.I liked Deeyohs' idea to clean the radiator with a rad genie.Did not want to wait for them to ship one,wanted to do it today--so--made one,it worked very well.Went to Wallmart,bought a hose end with a shut off valve in it for $1.99,drilled the sm hole in end of it to 5/16,epoxied in a 2ft piece of 5/16 brake line,bent the end,then flattened it,covered the end with blk tape,so will not hurt the radiator.Took about a 1/2 hr to make this.Thought I had the mud out of the radiator,till I used this.Also,I spray the entire bike with No Touch tire shine after cleaning,it keeps most of the mud from sticking& easier to clean the next time. DSC01669.JPG DSC01670.JPG DSC01671.JPG DSC01673.JPG

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
You may want a little more of an angle on the tip to let the water go straight into the fins. But that looks like a great setup. Cleaned mine again and man it gets clogged up pretty quick. When riding in dust then hit a creek... it'll turn all that dust into mud plugs inside the fins. Except mine was just plain old coated with mud spray. LOL

That's a great idea on the No touch tire stuff. I used that yamalube plastic spray but it's too expensive and doesn't cover enough. That no touch would be much more economical.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts