Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CV Joint! Yes, I searched some other posts before I made this one. I'm going to replace it but I don't really see what's wrong with it unless it's staring me in the face. I first saw the boot torn and heard the clacking noise as I would ride it around the yard today. after a little research I determined it was the CVJ and pulled it apart. I've added pics and circled areas I think are signs of the problem. Let me know your thoughts. Also, should I replace it with OEM, or aftermarket? best place to buy either one? I live in Knoxville, TN.

Thanks!

Same pic above and below just with areas circled. This one has buildup and a few rust deposits

These 2 have numerous heat marks. Is this from the factory or more signs of problems

These have heat marks in weird places. It looks to me like the balls inside weren't lubed enough and heated up the housing

Look forward to hearing your opinions!

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
4,365 Posts
Aftermarket maybe be better. Depends on price IMO

Maybe something got jammed in the bearings with the boot torn causing the noise and marks.

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
Nothing really jumps out that I see, don't think it would be the areas you circled in orange because those areas are all part of the outer CVJ housing and that is not usually where they go bad. Most of the time it is the inner cage that articulates. Depending on how long you road it with a torn boot and the conditions you were in would effect if you might have gotten sand/mud in it that was causing the balls to hang up and not rotate smoothly which will eventually lead to the articulating inner cage to get a hair line crack between 2 ball pockets. As the joint rotates, and changes angle, and gets some side load, it causes the hair line crack to open and close and the popping sound you hear, a lot of the time is the 2 cracked pieces of metal rubbing against each other as the inner cage articulates, and as this continues (if not repaired) it will break the metal between 2 more balls, and at that point the CV joint is not far from disintegrating completely.

If you really want to see exactly what is wrong with it you may have to completely clean all grease out and disassembly the joint. A very small hair line crack may be closed and hard to see without any pressure on it. Try looking with a magnifying glass after cleaning it good.

I recently went through researching and replacing my right rear axle. To just replace the joint and boot with OEM parts cost almost as much as you can buy an entire aftermarket axle for. I ended up replacing mine with an aftermarket axle from Rocky Mtn. ATV, went with the Tusk Heavy Duty Axle. I did a write up and posted it here on the forum a few months ago, it has a lot of information in it that might interest you.

Add a signature to your profile with all of your accessories you have installed on your Wolverine that way everyone can give you better suggestions for your particular machine. If you have put a lift kit on, that might have an influence in what axle you go back with.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Stay away from the all balls axle. I went with there very best and it was popping after about 750 miles.
Also after it started making noise I tore my OEM one apart to look for cracks etc. I found nothing just like yours appears. I took it completely apart and turned the inner race around, completely scrambled the order of everything. It quit popping and is still going!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts